cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stove Top Cappuccinos

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 3 years I've been trying to come up with a good method of making a Barista Grade Soy Cappuccino for my wife. I've finally made it to that place. In the photo you will see a single lever espresso maker called a "Flair". It will make a fine grade espresso with beautiful color and the three stage or three level colors til it settles out with nice crema. The other devise is a stove to steamer to steam/foam the milk, in our case soy. That little steamer will steam/foam any kind of non dairy beverage to a thick fine foam. I get so weary of barista's in "good coffee establishments" try and give my wife dish water looking foam and cop out with the "soy just doesn't foam right" excuse.

With this set up and several other measuring, grinding and temperature monitoring devises I can make true barista grade cappuccinos right off the top of the propane stove with no shore power or generator. I suppose the only down side is the entire trailer is full of steam by the time I'm done making her coffee. I, on the other hand drink what Juan Valdez drinks....black coffee with nothing else!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
8 REPLIES 8

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! FYI the Gefu burr grinder is readily available online.

Buy it online
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife's espresso machine caved in again! So I had to rescue her by bring in the set up in the trailer to make her Soy Caps. For those interested in attempting this, here is my entire rig. All the citrus in the back ground is optional! I think the most difficult item to source is the grinder. In a general search on ebay and Amazon, I couldn't find it. I included a photo of the brand of the coffee grinder. All of the other items are pretty "boiler plate", straight up items available off the net and local shops. The Flair Espresso press is the key though. With out that, I'm nowhere..............

Here is the brand of Grinder. We bought this grinder @ a local coffee supply shop. It is adjustable and will literally grind from flour to gravel. Seems like this was about $50.00

All to achieve this. A fine soy-cap. with no curdling and naturally sweet and rich taste...........Holy-Cow, it's a fair amount of set up.....but hey, we're camping and not in a rush........right?
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vintage465 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
It's not "professional grade" but a Moka pot does a pretty good imitation of espresso without so much hassle.

Steamed milk still needs to be handled separately.

We've tried the Moka Pot but the espresso seems to be more bitter than this lever unit. I've read that boiling water is the enemy of good espresso. My biggest issue with espresso is, I don't like espresso, therefore really don't have a good handle on what good espresso should taste like. I usually give it to the bride and get her opinion. Though I'm getting better at the feel of the lever, the visual of the shot and the smell.

My understanding is the main difference with the Moka Pot isn't so much the temperature of the water but pressure. Technically espresso is supposed to be done at something like 8 bar and the Moka Pot only generates around 1 bar.

Nice thing about it particularly with the larger pots is you can make several shots at time, so if you have friends over or just like double or triple shots, it's a lot easier.

I'm not a purist, so it's good enough for me. Others maybe not so.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks... I've thinking about getting it.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
Op...how about adding what "machinery" you have that you are happy with.
Thanks

Well, when you say machinery, I presume you mean the rest of the coffee making stuff. I can't find a pic on line of the hand grinder I use. But it's a ceramic bur grinder that will grind coffee from French Press Coarse to coffee flour. It cost $50.00 if I recall. Also is a small scale to weigh the beans: 18.5 grams per shot. Absolutely necessary is the stove top goose neck kettle with a thermometer in the top to catch the water @ 195-200 degrees. The foaming pitcher and thermometer to stop steaming/foaming @ 130 degrees.....it will usually creep up to 135/138-ish. Over 140 degrees the soy milk will have a better chance of curdling. A small shot glass to squeeze the espresso into. The espresso lever unit came with the funnel to get the ground coffee in the porta-filter and a tamp to put the squeeze on the goods. The steamer in the pic is just what is seen. That little dude is really solidly built. Made in China.......But real solid. Came with real lousy instructions. But my son's girl friend works at a real good coffee shop in Nashville and she schooled me on the proper use of the steamer. I was just heating milk 'till she showed me the finer details of the force.
V-465

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Op...how about adding what "machinery" you have that you are happy with.
Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
It's not "professional grade" but a Moka pot does a pretty good imitation of espresso without so much hassle.

We've tried the Moka Pot but the espresso seems to be more bitter than this lever unit. I've read that boiling water is the enemy of good espresso. My biggest issue with espresso is, I don't like espresso, therefore really don't have a good handle on what good espresso should taste like. I usually give it to the bride and get her opinion. Though I'm getting better at the feel of the lever, the visual of the shot and the smell.
V-465

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV