cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Berkey filters

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone here have a travel Berkey water filter? For short trips we bring a 5 gal bottle of water but we’re doing a 3 week trip in the Spring and are looking for a way to have good tasting water to drink and cook with. Thanks.
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!
17 REPLIES 17

matross
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine at https://theberkey.com/https://theberkey.com/ and already had it for 6 months! It does all the works on the purification, I love it!

jmoran
Explorer
Explorer
1handyhubby wrote:
Anyone here have a travel Berkey water filter? For short trips we bring a 5 gal bottle of water but we’re doing a 3 week trip in the Spring and are looking for a way to have good tasting water to drink and cook with. Thanks.

Here is a ***Link Removed***travel berkey water filter

but this is 1.5 gal only. However, you can just refill and enjoy a good tasting water and for cooking

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Got ours here
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Big-Berkey-Water-Filter-2-25-Gallons/821234134
from prepper site SafeCastle

Bonus was that you can get 4 included black filters for the price of the usual 2 filter set. Speeds up the flow by 2x and extends filter life.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a travel berkey directly from Berkey; they run discounts from time to time. Good service, quick delivery. www.berkeyfilters.com

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Amazon carries the British Bekefeld and the Travel Berky. But your favorite prepper store should also have them.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Suggestions on where to order these?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

HajduD
Explorer
Explorer
I have a travle Berkey, and i can only recommend it. It still works great, and it can filter any kind of contaminated water. I got mine from this site, a while back:https://www.waterfiltershop.co.uk/big-berkey-8-5-l-portable-gravity-water-filter-system.html If you are constantly on the move, you should really buy a Berkey.

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Will be ordering one soon.

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - I have the Travel Berkey that I use for living fulltime in my TC. It's awesome and produces great tasting water. I have 2 plastic gallon jugs, one I keep filled with filtered Bereky water (store it in my fridge) and the other I use to fill with tap water then dump in the upper chamber since my Berkey doesn't fit under my sink so this is my only way to fill it. My only issue with it is storing it while travelling. I have it figured out now but I learned the hard way. Now I store it in the sink and wedge some of those spring loaded bars (one horizontal inside the sink basin and another vertical between the lid of the Berkey and the bottom of my upper kitchen cabinets). I used to just keep it in the sink with nothing to hold it down but one day I opened the door after a day of travel to find the Berkey had hopped out of the sink and on to the floor and broke the nozzles of the black filters. The filters themselves seemed fine so I tried salvaging them with various glues and epoxys but nothing worked. I had to cough up the cash and buy 2 new ones. Expensive lesson learned. Otherwise I definitely recommend this product.
2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with the Berkey in our TC - my wife puts the drinking water she needs for the day in mason jars and we simply store the Berkey in the trash can we keep in the closet during travel.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Since it is totally portable, it is so flexible and covers all bases, except space issues. I don't have to rely on "clean" water through only my FW tank and kitchen sink.
By the time you add up an inline filter or 2 and replacement cartridges, I think I will come out way ahead with a one-time investment with the Berkey.
BTW, folks have made their own Berkeys with black Berkey filters and 2 cheap stainless steel stock pots from Walmart. Saves you the cost of the 2 overpriced containers at $150.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Spendy and takes up some space. I have class C and filter water before it gets into the FW tank - that seems to work well for me. Perhaps a filter under the kitchen sink?
Kevin

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea of flipping the top unit and storing it inside the bottom for space saving. However, I really don't think you would want to do this if you been using questionable water. All your "gunk" whether chemical, debris, biological could just fall into you clean container and contaminate the whole operation. Maybe I am just envisioning using truly horrid water.
2017 Northstar 12' STC