cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1998 Allegro Bus Kwikee steps

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Steps will not close. Door magnetic switch is functioning. Light under steps remains on always. When measuring voltage at the magnetic switch I get 0 volts when door is open and 0.6 volts when door is closed.
Should I not be getting 12 volts at switch?
GrampaKoot says...la vida es corta para aรฑejar el vino
21 REPLIES 21

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Had friend from old school days come over and he installed new controller.
Steps are now working fine. Old door switch Is ok.
Thank you all.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
GrampaKoot wrote:
Ok...looks like itโ€™s a control problem. I have removed it and need to replace it as it is a solid piece. I see no way to replace relays.
The model is 909513. It was installed in 1997.
I understand I may have trouble finding one.
When you say solid piece do you mean it is a potted board where the components are encased in a resin and you can't get at them? The ones I am talking about have a translucent plastic cover with a circuit board that slides out after you remove about 6 screws on the end.

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Went to RV Connections here in Yuma.. Wikeebmakes a replacement controller for the 909513...includes new door switch. #120.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Try these people Colaw
At some point in time the magnetic door switch was changed from normally open to normally closed contacts. Or was it the other way around!
Make sure you get the correct switch! Colaw gave me both!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...looks like itโ€™s a control problem. I have removed it and need to replace it as it is a solid piece. I see no way to replace relays.
The model is 909513. It was installed in 1997.
I understand I may have trouble finding one.

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Gjay.
Fortunately I have two months yet until I have to move. I will have someone check those relay switches.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kwikee has an excellent troubleshooting manual online, and with a multi meter you can check the switch, motor and control box. You said that the switch is good, you can run 12v directly to your motor to see if that works, if so that leaves the control box. Being a 1998 you probably won't find a replacement at a dealer if so the tech will say you need to buy a whole step unit. The control box has 2 relays inside if you look closely and see a burned relay you know what the problem is.The relay is less than $4.00 at Digi-Key. Hope this helps,let us know how you make out.

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Bought 4 way pigtail. Disconnected and tried to attach purchased pigtail but it wonโ€™t fit so of no use.
When I disconnected wires at least the under step light turned. I the wires disconnected but the is a small hum for about 2 seconds every 20 seconds or so.
Giving up. Getting mobile service person coming to assist at $195/hr.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
GrampaKoot wrote:
Doug:
The white wire going to door/reed switch, when I do a continuity test, is a ground wire.

There are 4 wires underneath connected to the step wire harness at a quick connect.
1. LARGE red wire is constant power
2. WHITE wire is 12 volts from the On off switch by the entry door NOT the Magnet switch.
3. YELLOW is from the Ignition
4. The remaining BROWN is going to the magnet switch. The GROUND feeding the magnet switch comes from any ground source usually from the frame. Tiffin may have used a white to the magnet switch. Don't get confused by that. Doug

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Mike.
I have ordered the 4 way pigtail from Kwikee as they suggested. Wallyโ€™s World in Yuma will have it in in 2 days.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe here
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Doug:
The white wire going to door/reed switch, when I do a continuity test, is a ground wire.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
GrampaKoot wrote:
Doug & all.

Thank...I will check red ab white in the mornin.
Ps. No matter what I turn off, the kill switch as well...the under step ligh remains on.

Some OEM's wire that step light to a separate switch so you can turn it on and off without the step module controlling it. Doug

Sorry, Tiffin does NOT do that. So, odds are the WHITE wire is dead, THAT also controls the light, it also controls leaving the step extended and bypasses the magnet.

GrampaKoot
Explorer
Explorer
Will check color in morning