cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

West Yellow Stone to Casper Wy

Deedle
Explorer
Explorer
In June we are planning on staying in West Yellowstone then heading to The Grand Tetons and then on over to Casper Wy, just wondering how long are the grades and what are the grade %'S is.Will be traveling on 22 to 191 and 26.

Thank you for any info.
12 REPLIES 12

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Good decision. We've been over all the passes in and around Yellowstone and it's smart to go around Teton Pass. With your route though, it's unnecessary to go that way, but instead through the park, and out towards Dubois, over Togwotee Pass as previously suggested. It's a good road with lots of pull outs for the scenic vistas. Take that route all the way to Riverton, then on to Casper. There's a great campground off Togwotee Pass called Falls. They have two loops that fit all sizes of rigs. One loop is dry camping and the other has electricity as the sites. Both loops are beautiful with nice outhouses. Enjoy your trip.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

deedle82
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone, we will be going through the park. I am experienced in Mountain driving and don't mind it, but the 22 may be a lot more then I want to take on. Plus we are with another Rv that is 0 experience in mountain driving I will be taking them to our local mountains before we take this trip and show them how to use their transmission and their brakes and retarder. And yes, I am qualified to teach them I been teaching people to drive school buses for the last 25 years. Again thanks for the heads up on the 22.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
don't use 22. just take the yellowstone park road down to Moran Junction and 26 on to Riverside, etc.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Do not get on 22 from Victor to Jackson. It's very steep.

The best way is to leave W. Yellowstone early morning and travel south through Yellowstone. You'll see animals in the morning and less traffic. That's the way to enter Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

From the Tetons to Casper take 26/287 toward Dubois.

This.

Avoid 22 from Victor to Jackson. That route goes across Teton Pass, at an elevation of 8400 feet. There are signs posted that warn RVs about it. It is the scene of many smoked brakes and ruined transmissions.

WYDOT info on Teton Pass
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Do not get on 22 from Victor to Jackson. It's very steep.

The best way is to leave W. Yellowstone early morning and travel south through Yellowstone. You'll see animals in the morning and less traffic. That's the way to enter Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

From the Tetons to Casper take 26/287 toward Dubois.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
If I were going from West Yellowstone to Grand Teton National Park, I think I would go right through Yellowstone National Park rather than over Teton Pass. (A pass I have avoided, I must admit.)

Then, of course, over Togwotee Pass on US 26 to Casper.

I go through the park as mentioned, from each entrance, itโ€™s slow but enjoyable.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Do your home work, investigate "Shell Canyon " it's a drive you won't soon forget. Its on Highway 14.

And there is on of the roads out of the park heading east, that has a tunnel, it was marked as a narrow passage. (don't know how high)
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We had no problem towing a 26ft TT.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would also pick the route through Yellowstone, then across to Dubois, etc. if that is an option.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
If I were going from West Yellowstone to Grand Teton National Park, I think I would go right through Yellowstone National Park rather than over Teton Pass. (A pass I have avoided, I must admit.)

Then, of course, over Togwotee Pass on US 26 to Casper.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
22 takes you across Teton Pass, curvy and pretty darn steep ( some 10% grades) if you are coming from Idaho, into Jackson. From Jackson to Riverton you will cross TogwoteePass (many short climbs, none steep, minor curves). After Togwotee Pass, nothing of any significance to Casper!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you are a first timer in the rig shown don't sweat it. I'm sure your rig will negotiate the conditions.