cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DVD player died. Should we go blue ray ?

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
We always carry a DVD player and assortment of discs. Have been used for rainy evenings with no OTA TV, or sickness, so staying around TT all day.
Our small portable DVD player finally died.
I'm about to start looking at replacements, and wondered if it was time to join the 21st century and go Blue Ray.
Looking for opinions. T I A
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
39 REPLIES 39

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
all the blue ray players will play standard dvd's. if you do not want to spend money on a new blue ray player check out the thrift stores. i have a stack of 9 here right now paid between $6.99 to $14.99 each for some very good ones. i have good luck with sony brand players. you do not have to spend a lot. there not even the latest technology anymore now there's 4k blue ray players.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can buy just a standard DVD player, you can find them far as cheap as $10! But for another $30 you can get a cheap Blue Ray player.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy a Blu-Ray player just because it can play everything earlier, be it DVD or CD. Not like they are crazy expensive anymore.

MrWizard
It's it possible to buy "Disc" player that won't handle Blu-ray
Yes
Buy a DVD player... It will play DVD & CD but not Blu-ray

A Blu-ray player handles everything
By definition a DVD player does DVDs not Blu-ray
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Is it even possible to buy a DVD player that won't handle Blu Ray?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Raises the question, not begs it. Many RVs come with blu-ray players.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
Listen up! Blue ray is the current method of DVD players. PERIOD. Anyone that has a simpler system sucks, period. If you don't have a blu ray you are in a caveman environment.
If you have tapes you are missing out on the current tech by a mile!!!!

A Sony blu ray costs less than 70 bucks if you can't afford that steal the money from a McDonald employee.

Good grief am I in America ???

Which begs the question. Why the heck aren't RV MFG's putting Bray capable stereo players in RV's. It seems as though they just got Bluetooth featured units a year or so ago.
Talk about being behind the times.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We've transferred all our DVDs/BluRays to digital storage. Our kids grew up in the age of DVDs which scratch easily. I convert them with DVDFab and store the DVDs. When we travel, just grab the HD with the movies. It takes up about the same space as 3 DVDs.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
My gripe is that with a regular DVD, I could copy the disc to my computer, then to my portable devices, using free software to bypass the copy protection. (yes, I know, it's a crime!)

Haven't found a way to do that with Bluray yet, without a ton of computer-geek-ese.

Look on line at a program called DVDFAB they have software to copy any DVD and even commercial ones if you want.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
You need a blu-ray player to watch the gorgeous Criterion issue of โ€œOne Eyed Jacksโ€. Thatโ€™s reason enough to get one.

โ€œDonโ€™t be doinโ€™ her like that.โ€

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
My gripe is that with a regular DVD, I could copy the disc to my computer, then to my portable devices, using free software to bypass the copy protection. (yes, I know, it's a crime!)

Haven't found a way to do that with Bluray yet, without a ton of computer-geek-ese.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
If all you do is play DVDs, then you could use either a Blu-Ray player or DVD player. If there is any chance you would ever play a Blu-Ray disc, get the Blu-Ray player. If you have a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime, Iโ€™d look for a Streaming Blu-Ray player with WiFi. Finally if you would like to record OTA programming, Iโ€™d recommend this. It will play DVDs as well.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
We also carry a VHS player. ๐Ÿ™‚ we gottem, we playem. ๐Ÿ™‚

Be careful with the antique VHS player. They no longer make them and the only way you can buy one it to get it used. There is a place in Minneapolis that will transfer your tapes on to disks for 30 bucks a copy. I'm going to have it done to a few of mine someday but, Minneapolis is 130 miles from me.

OP - purchase a BluRay. Not-expensive!

Caveman - sent you a PM.
Transfer your DVD (tapes) to DVR yourself (at home).
Cost is about .05 cents (or less) for Blank DVRs -
a bit more for reusable DVR RWs.
Copy "either way" - but no reason to copy to DVD tapes.

Check Amazon (and others) for both new and used -
"DVD Video Recorder/Video Cassette Recorder"
*NO* tuner needed. (You still can also record "line in" if you wish)

BTW - although there are other (digital) options, it would seem the OP is not (yet) at that level due to his Question.
So easy solution/s seem appropriate.
(Buy the BluRay - w/ or w/out whistles & bells = cheap!)
They are "backwards compatible" - also play std DVDs

And - would guess this thread should really be moved to Tech ??

:@

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Listen up! Blue ray is the current method of DVD players. PERIOD. Anyone that has a simpler system sucks, period. If you don't have a blu ray you are in a caveman environment.
If you have tapes you are missing out on the current tech by a mile!!!!

A Sony blu ray costs less than 70 bucks if you can't afford that steal the money from a McDonald employee.

Good grief am I in America ???
:S

Wow! Typical "elitist" attitude or should I say old fashioned "snob" attitude, one and the same. :R

Or did you skip your Meds.? :h

no snob just a reality check. like move into the current world, vhs and dvd are old school. blu ray has been the best bet for years now and yes it will play the dvd also. Now if you still have a cathode tube TV forget all that I said.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.