cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Torrey, Utah to Monument Valley

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Just checking to see how the roads are from Torrey to Monument Valley with a 24 foot trailer. I'm currently planning on taking 24/95/261, not that I have much choice. Additionally, anything cool to stop and do for a rest break in between that you guys like? I see Magic Bus, Hite Overlook, Natural Bridges NM, and Moki Dugway. Any thoughts on these? Thanks again in advance for your opinions and knowledge.

EDIT: I should add that I already have reservations in Torrey and then reservations at Goulding's RV Park in Monument Valley. After that, on to Sedona for 5 days in Cottonwood.
16 REPLIES 16

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
We did this in reverse (MV to Torrey) in 2014.

From Hanksville to Blanding is absolutely gorgeous, but I don't think we saw 6 cars in that whole drive. It is 142 miles WITHOUT GAS STOPS to Blanding. Blanding will be about 4 miles out of your way, but you have to go there for gas. In 2014 I think we saw one gas station open between Blanding and Monument Valley. Saw lots of abandoned buildings that used to be gas stations.

The overlook at the river crossing at Hite is well worth it. There is a picnic table pavilion up there, and when you drive up the gravel road to it you will discover a paved airplane runway up there. We just parked on the runway while we ate a snack and enjoyed the view --- I figured if planes wanted to land they would fly over and blow the horn. ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
There is literally nothing (but beauty) from Hanksville to Blanding. There is a very scenic rest stop to get out and stretch. If you have an extra day, stay in Blanding (nice RV park) and visit Natural Bridges. It is worth it. You would also drive right by the House on Fire Ruin . A little hard to find, but pretty neat. Only about a 1 mile hike to the ruin and we didn't see one other person in or out.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Jbrowland wrote:
...anything cool to stop and do for a rest break in between that you guys like? I see Magic Bus, Hite Overlook, Natural Bridges NM, and Moki Dugway. Any thoughts on these?...After that, on to Sedona for 5 days in Cottonwood...
Goblin Valley State Park is not too far North of Hanksville on UT-24.

In the Sedona/Cottonwood area we enjoyed Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well National Monuments, Tuzigoot National Monument, Palatki and Honaki Ruins, V-Bar-V Heritage Site, Verde Canyon Railroad, Fort Verde State Park, Cathedral Rock, Gold King Mine, and Jerome State Historic Park and the town of Jerome.

Thanks! All on the list except Palatki Ruins. Iโ€™ll have to look that one up.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
...anything cool to stop and do for a rest break in between that you guys like? I see Magic Bus, Hite Overlook, Natural Bridges NM, and Moki Dugway. Any thoughts on these?...After that, on to Sedona for 5 days in Cottonwood...
Goblin Valley State Park is not too far North of Hanksville on UT-24.

In the Sedona/Cottonwood area we enjoyed Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well National Monuments, Tuzigoot National Monument, Palatki and Honaki Ruins, V-Bar-V Heritage Site, Verde Canyon Railroad, Fort Verde State Park, Cathedral Rock, Gold King Mine, and Jerome State Historic Park and the town of Jerome.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
Thanks ya'll.

Jason

Enjoy the trip! Utah is the most amazing in the lower 48 in my humble opinion.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ya'll.

Jason

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland,
BE SURE to go to the Navajo Tribal Park. Take the 17 mile self guided or take their tour vehicle, of the Monument Valley where the John Wayne movies was made. The park has a RV park and vistor center.

Shortly after crossing from Utah into Az you take a road to the LEFT.
The vistor center is just down the road.

The tour is AWESOME!!!
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
just go east to Hanksville and south on 95 to 191. It's a good road and scenic, too.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
By the way, the Rim Rock restaurant in Torrey does great pizzas and has a fantastic view from the patio dining area.

I can't wait! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
Nice video! Really enjoyable. Thanks for that. Remote for sure. I think I counted about six cars and two bikes the whole time.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, the Rim Rock restaurant in Torrey does great pizzas and has a fantastic view from the patio dining area.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I know how that goes.

Only 200 miles, so there is no rush. Spend some time at the Colorado overlook (Hite) and Natural Bridges.

It's a very beautiful drive through that area, and it's very remote. First time I was through there was 2011. No FM radio stations, no cell service, hardly any other cars. XM worked though.

Here's some video with messed up audio, going the opposite direction you'll be traveling. I think I had my sunroof open or something.

https://youtu.be/nT5Ye2oGGRw

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
So you intend to drive from Torrey to Monument Valley in one day?

Yes. Not ideal but now I am making up for a stop I decided to cut out. I was originally going to spend 3 days in Moab but I found out that my stay there was during the Easter Jeep Safari week and I want no part of that madness. Besides, I have been there before for a longer stay. I'l be back. So now I am going south sooner and have never taken that route before.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
So you intend to drive from Torrey to Monument Valley in one day?