cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing American Currency in Mex No longer by MX Fed Gov't

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
Banks in Mexico including Azteca are no longer allowed by the Federal Bank of Mexico to accept ANY repeat ANY American denomination Bills for exchange to Mexican Pesos. Only the privately held "Casa de Cambio's" are permitted to make any such transactions as of about one week ago. Just FYI.

Robt65
Mission, TX
& Querรฉtaro, MX
7 REPLIES 7

PUTERPUPPY
Explorer
Explorer
No Problems at the CIBanco in San Carlos Sonora. Very nice and courteous tellers for us "Gringos" that can't speak Spanish.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • SOME Mexican banks have US dollar accounts for Mexican business owners ONLY
  • Recently BanComer stopped the dollar accounts for Mexican businesses
  • Don't be surprised if businesses that used to take dollars no longer do so
  • Few if any businesses that accept dollars will accept US banknotes larger than a 20 dollar bill
  • The USA THIS WEEK stopped supporting the dollar
  • The currency has fallen against many other currencies
  • Mexico could similarly devalue the peso but don't bank in it
  • If I had to guess, Mexico will no allow the peso to gain a lot of value against the dollar -- too much of the economy depends on trade with the US
  • China and the Yuan Renminbi is another story
  • The price of goods can inflate in Mexico
  • Nothing to worry about just be aware of the possibility of volatile prices.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The CitiBanamex branch that I have my account accepts Dollars, Euros, and all other currency and I can purchase Euros with Dollars or Pesos, you do need to register with the bank in order to exchange dollars at a bank, that is a measure established for controlling the laundering of narco profits, the exchange houses do have a limit of the amount you can excange.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Mexican businesses can exchange US dollars. How else would restaurants, hotels, etc handle their USD????? Robt : Where did you get that info?

Moisheh

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Robt65, so what you are saying is that the Mexico Exchange Bureau/Office/Bank is PRIVATELY held? Very interesting!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that do not have a bank account in Mexico use the ATM machines at a bank, stay away from the machines in stores or shopping centers and try to have a second person accompany you to block what you do so that the bad elements do not see what you are doing, read the warning on counterfeit 500.00 pesos.

navegator

Talleyho69
ATM's are, and have been for a long time, the only way to go.