cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New steps for my Arctic Fox

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I've owned my AF811 since it was new. I bought it in November 2009.

I use a plastic fold up "two step" step in addition to the step that hangs below the bumper. At times, it's not ideal: Slippery when wet, it flexes, the top step isn't very wide, etc.

I looked in to the Fox Landing a few years ago, but they require a new bumper. The new bumper has longer brackets on it, to reduce the effect of leverage placed on the camper when standing on the Fox Landing.

The new bumper and Fox Landing was way out of my price range at the time, so I continued using the plastic step, until yesterday.

The Fox Landing blocks access to the door when it's up, so stopping for groceries, lunch break, etc. require lowering the Fox Landing. I couldn't travel with it down because I tow a trailer, and it looks like it will hit the tongue jack when turning.

About 2 weeks ago I saw another post where an AF owner installed a set of Torklift Glow Steps to the brackets on the bumper that hold the original step, so I decided to do the same.

Here's a video of the project
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
8 REPLIES 8

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Also consider the hand rail designed to work with the Glow Steps. It keeps the wife and daughter happy.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
OK, now I found your video

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I found a video on Torklift's website. racket is basically the same arrangement as the Glowstep Revolution for travel trailers, which I had on my TT that I owned for less than a year. (sold it in August)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
AnEv942 wrote:
Unfortunately additional cost pushes way over had you just picked a 4 step with legs and bracket from get-go.

I had no idea about the bracket - never heard of it until your other thread today.

Cost isn't an issue, I get Torklift stuff wholesale.

Can you post a photo with your steps extended?
I'd like to see what the bracket looks like in operation.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think I would expect that little lanyard to keep steps in stored position long term. Reworking the landing gear simple but the containment gives me pause.
If you were agreeable to drilling bumper the Stow N Go bracket would work. Though your setup would be a half step too short as it moves pivot to top of bumper. So you'd need a 4th step and flush mount tread to top of bumper height. It would also raise entire stairs stored position several inches so legs wouldn't be issue. Unfortunately additional cost pushes way over had you just picked a 4 step with legs and bracket from get-go.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
AnEv942 wrote:
Not clear how your restraining/capturing stairs while on the road.

Nor am I.

There's a small cable on the back side of the steps to keep them folded up, but I still think the feet will hang too low and could interfere with the trailer on right turns. I won't know until I pull the truck out and hook up the trailer.

Truck and camper are in winter storage in my shop. Neither will emerge from hibernation / mothballed status for a few more months.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I like re-purposing existing bumper mounts to utilize the Glow Steps-simple. As far as removing/reinstalling for towing easy enough except for your spacers.

I should throw some pictures together-maybe tomorrow. Its fairly easy to rework the Landing Gear so they are outside and face UP when stored instead of hanging down. I redid ours, though mostly I didn't like the legs in front of the tread but it puts the legs way up and completely out of the way when folded up.

Though we used the Stow N Go bracket so may not apply. Not clear how your restraining/capturing stairs while on the road.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Nice!
Really like the robust design.