Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike solutions out there?

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

5 people, 5 bikes, tow vehicle most of the time...anyone in the same boat and have a creative way to carry 5 bikes along for the ride?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing what type of vehicle you have and looking for a rack, there is something that you do need to consider, I believe. If you have a long(wish) RV, and there is quite some distance from the rear wheels to the hitch mount, you really need to consider how much movement / flexing occurs at the hitch with the amount of bikes (weight) you have attached. The setup carrinb has for his van and six bikes is pretty slick, but may be a bit much for your unit. The other thing to consider is that if you use a bike rack, on an RV, most will not warranty the unit. There are a few exceptions, but they are mostly 1 to 3 bike carriers. Swagman is RV approved, but I think the largest they make is a 4 bike unit. Just things to consider.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
NorthShore NSR-6 rack would do the trick:

wow,now THAT is a bike rack! ๐Ÿ˜›

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
There are photos of TT bumpers tearing off, leaving the bumper and the bike rack on the road. I would see about finding a welding place to add a rear hitch receiver to the TT by bolting it to the frame, then using that as the foundation for a bike rack. It is also wise to put a set of skid wheels on it as well, so a steep dive won't take the rack off either.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
NorthShore NSR-6 rack would do the trick:

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t trust that kind of rack to carry much weight if it only bolts to the flimsy bumper.

That depends on what TYPE of RV you are talking about. On a TT or FW I wouldn't carry anything on those bumpers.

All depends on what type of bumper you have on the RV. Mine is welded on to the frame and made of a very thick heavy metal.

If you have a TT you should look into how well built your bumper is. They tend to put real flimsy made bumpers on TT's. They are built differently on MH's.

On my MH, I have the tire mounted on the right side with a square bumper mount.
And on the other side is the bike rack with 4 expens and lawn chairs.

I full timed this way for years and it never fell off! :B

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
This rack is THE best thing I have bought for my MH. Allows you to carry just about anything on it! :C

This rack is designed to also hold a spare tire. But what it does offer instead of a tire holder, is an additional space to hold things.

This is the best rack for carrying anything!
You can put bikes in front and lawn chairs behind bars.

I actually used it to carry 4 ex-pens for my dogs, a bike and even lawn chairs! What you can put on this rack is endless.

If all your bikes didn't fit on one you could put two racks on, one on each side to balance it. It would probably interfere with a toad as well or required an extended hitch.

I wouldnโ€™t trust that kind of rack to carry much weight if it only bolts to the flimsy bumper.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Provided your RV rear bumper can handle the extra weight, Rockhill. My Winnie's rear bumper can't per Winnebago....nothing but the spare tire.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2nd best thing I have bought for the MH.

No more bungies for us anymore. I tie down everything with these! You can secure bikes with these without harming the bike and when you twist them on to secure, the bike does NOT move. They come in all different lengths. when I used to carry my bike on the RV ladder I couldn't keep it from moving. These ties did the trick.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This rack is THE best thing I have bought for my MH. Allows you to carry just about anything on it! :C

This rack is designed to also hold a spare tire. But what it does offer instead of a tire holder, is an additional space to hold things.

This is the best rack for carrying anything!
You can put bikes in front and lawn chairs behind bars.

I actually used it to carry 4 ex-pens for my dogs, a bike and even lawn chairs! What you can put on this rack is endless.

If all your bikes didn't fit on one you could put two racks on, one on each side to balance it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My bikes are not exposed to weather...rain, wind...very often. So, no suggestions. Depends on the quality of the bike too...no offense.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a tow the only thing I can think of is a roof rack for two and a hitch rack for three on the tow.

I use to haul a trailer for 6 bikes but that stops having a tow vehicle.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you fit five bikes across a rack on top of the tow'd? If not, you could install a front receiver on the C and carry two up there and three on top of the car.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015