cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking or Squatting?

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently exploring some off-road territory near Wickenburg, AZ. On GE, the Vulture Mountain road looked passable for my TH, but when I got there, the reality was that it was not - or at least riskier than I wanted while going solo. So, I ended up parking just off the road at a big flat where several other RV'ers had already established themselves. This was State Trust land, so apart from a permit, camping is free for up to 14 days with a permit.

So I settled in and went for a short trail ride. While on this ride, I noticed a variety of trailers/tents that appeared to be well-established in their location, and it was pretty obvious these people had already been there more than the limit.

It felt very sketchy camping near these long-term campers, and while riding, I stopped and talked to some people out wandering the desert. The conversation left me more than a bit concerned that I might experience a late-night visitation. I secured/locked everything up before going to bed, but I just didn't feel safe here. Nothing happened, but I camp to relax, not worry about whether I'm gonna get robbed.

I cut my trip short because of this unease. I'm not a snowflake, and I am always well-armed, but I prefer to use my artillery as a deterrent, and would rather not unleash it. Has this ever happened to you? Any suggestions on how to deal with it, apart from just leaving and finding another location? Is there a forum or website I can check that reviews boondocking sites like this?

I plan to retire soon and take longer trips, so any advice would be helpful.
30 REPLIES 30

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Went back to the same area again this past weekend. The same "boondockers" were still there, some looking more or less permanent. Makes me wonder why I even pay for the STL permit.

The draw for me is the riding, with some incredible trails from greens to double-blacks. The past couple of times out I didn't take the TH and instead camped with a tarp and a cot, but much further from the pavement and the squatters.

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Went back to the same area this past weekend, but didn't take the TH. Instead, pulled the toy on my flatbed, went in a couple of miles, found a fantastic spot and logged over 60 miles of trail riding. Of the squatters I could see, they were the same ones there from over two weeks ago, but since I was further from the pavement, didn't see any more, and didn't run into any "wandering" the desert. Also had a chance to scope out more of the area and potential camping spots.

Checked out the Gates road open area on the east side of the Hassayampa, it is currently fenced off for "re-vegetation".

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We used to boondock in state or federal forest lands along the Oregon coast. Because the absentee homeowners/investors rent their homes via VRBO or Air BnB, rentals are xoensive forcing the workers in the low wage jobs to live in the woods. Or, at least that is what one told me. At Bastendorf Beach, a BLM free campsite, there were two burned out RVs parked there. We soent th3 night, nothing happened, but it was unnerving.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
2gypsies wrote:

The only time we felt uncomfortable and moved was when some yahoos set up their target practice and proceeded to fire away. We don't carry guns so just this noise made us uncomfortable.

Assuming there wasn't something else sketchy and they weren't shooting towards your rig, I would actually consider this safer.

Ammo isn't cheap, so that suggests they have some money and aren't desperately poor ready to steal the minute you aren't looking. Also that noise that made you feel uncomfortable makes criminals uncomfortable because they know someone has guns and they don't know who. No guarantees but better odds.

To the original post:
- Yes follow your gut. Better to walk away from a situation that isn't as bad as it looks rather than stay in a situation that is as bad as it looks.
- While you can notify the officials, I wouldn't expect much to be done.

This is one of those no win situations for the authorities. If they clean up the place and chase off the people causing problems, you can expect the papers to go after them for attacking the homeless or illegal aliens. If they don't, they have citizens not able to feel safe using public lands.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
freecampsites.net has many boondocking locations and some have reviews from previous campers as well as photos. There are directions as well as GPS locations. Create an account (free) and sign in to see any photos that may be attached. There are also county, state, city parks, Corp of Engineer, forestry parks, blm camping and other misc locations that have been reported by site users.

Kenz71
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
You play one this week and I'll play one this week. If either of us hit, we'll split it!

Can I join this club? Promise to share any winnings, especially yours ๐Ÿ˜‰

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deal!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
You play one this week and I'll play one this week. If either of us hit, we'll split it!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You know I had a dream avout lottery tickets last night. Might be something to this...

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
X2 completely.

(Shoot, I didn't even notice who I was agreeing with until after I posted ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

About that lottery ticket, LOL ๐Ÿ˜‰

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think you "gut" is by far the best barometer you have. The best "defense" is the "one" you never have to use.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
the bear II wrote:
One of our favorite boondocking camp has become sketchy due to a string of thefts of items from RVs where the owners have left it unattended for a period of time while exploring. The camp area is usually very crowded however these break-ins go unnoticed by other campers.

We haven't been there since hearing about these thefts.

Unnoticed, or just apathetic to the theft, or a mix of both?

I see someone stealing unattended personal property from a neighbor, do I risk my own well being to get involved? I'm not a believer in "stand your ground", I would rather avoid confrontation rather than going looking for it.

For me, at the very least I would inform the neighbors of what I saw and offer to make a statemebt to a ranger. That doesn't put me at risk but may help.

Depending on what I saw, I might simply yell out "hey Joe that you? The others should be back in a few" and hope that scares them off without putting me at risk. If they looked dangerous, strung out, etc., then I might drive out and find cell reception or a ranger or even the neighbors headed back in. I figure if they look bad enough for me to fear them noticing me, then I don't want to be there period.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
One of our favorite boondocking camp has become sketchy due to a string of thefts of items from RVs where the owners have left it unattended for a period of time while exploring. The camp area is usually very crowded however these break-ins go unnoticed by other campers.

Unnoticed, or just apathetic to the theft, or a mix of both?

I see someone stealing unattended personal property from a neighbor, do I risk my own well being to get involved? I'm not a believer in "stand your ground", I would rather avoid confrontation rather than going looking for it.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer