cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Lance 1475 roof poor design?

megigharbor
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2017 Lance 1475 Travel trailer in May 2017 and was very happy with the floorplan and construction materials. When it started raining this fall though, I discovered a major design flaw in the trailer as water was pouring in around the fantastic fan. This was because of a bad seal around the fan and easily fixed, but the problem is that the flat roof is installed below the level of the sidewalls and the roof is higher in the front than the rest of the roof. This causes the roof to hold water over its entire surface and just invites leaks. Lance says that the roof is just fine and just don't keep the trailer level so the water can drain. It has to be well past level for that to happen. If you are considering this trailer, be aware that this could be a problem, and it is not limited to my trailer-I have since found other complaints with the same problem.
14 REPLIES 14

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
I would not have a flat roof Travel Trailer - and I think Frank is somehow related to Woodglue.
:B
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I read in another forum that storing the fridge out of level is not a concern - running it out of level is. The poster had called Dometic and was told to let it stand level 24 hours before use.

I have no idea why Lance recco's storing their trailer level.

Might be able to get a straight answer out of them if asked ?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I read in another forum that storing the fridge out of level is not a concern - running it out of level is. The poster had called Dometic and was told to let it stand level 24 hours before use.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
My Lance has a flat roof. When in storage (my driveway) or camping, I keep the nose at a very slight down angle and a very slight angle to the street side so water does not pool on the slide, certainly not enough to affect the fridge, and not enough that you notice it inside the trailer.
Rain runs off and no leaks, although I do check the caulking 3 times a year.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I would not have a flat roof Travel Trailer - and I think Frank is somehow related to Woodglue.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Well "Frank", I was simply pointing out what appears to be a discrepancy between what you are saying:

"Keeling a trailer not perfectly level is always what you want."

....which seems to imply to the reader one should always attempt to have the trailer out of level.

This is contrary to what the factory states for both usage and storage.

I can tell you my trailer I am sitting in right now is near dead on perfectly level both left-right and front-rear, because when I parked here for the winter, I wanted it level.
But then I have an arched roof, so water can't pool. It would be a physical impossibility.

I really liked some of the features of Lance trailers when I was shopping. At the time though, a flat roof eliminated the brand from my consideration. Among a few other things. They are nice trailers though. Just not for me.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photo;

No trailer is ever perfectly level. You try to get it as level as possible. You know what I meant!
2014 F-250

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Keeling a trailer not perfectly level is always what you want.

Lance is a well manufactured and takes good care of it's customer base.

Huh ? Are you saying the trailer should be out of level ? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to say ?

From page 61 of the lance trailer owners manual:

"LEVELING AND STABILIZATION
Leveling of your trailer at the site is important. A level
trailer is not only necessary for comfort but your refrigerator
needs to be level to operate efficiently"

From page 111:

"SHORT-TERM STORAGE
(Less than 45 days - Above Freezing)
1. Wash the exterior.
2. Park the trailer as level as possible front to rear
and side to side"

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2017 Lance has a 2 year warranty. Have you started making any calls to Lance Corp? Keeling a trailer not perfectly level is always what you want.

Lance is a well manufactured and takes good care of it's customer base.
2014 F-250

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, my 2009 1880 non slide has the flat roof and hasn't been re-sealed yet, with no leaks. The sealant is checking so will get it's first re-seal this Spring. This is California weather with an average of 30 inches of rain a year.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
That flat roof design is what made us cross Lance off our list when we were shopping for a new TT back in 2016. If it wasn't for that fact, we may have been owners of a Lance TT today.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
One person posted of catastrophic failure of a Lance roof that leaked while the trailer was in storage. Was not caught until a lot of damage was done. Very poor design and very poor response from company in my opinion for such a expensive trailer.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You'll have to get in line on this forum. You are at least the 3rd person I've heard this from this year. Some here will swear that the roof is crowned now. Maybe the 2018s are? I like Lances in general, but I don't think I could stomach that as a permanent feature.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE