cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting Inside of Travel Trailer Bumper

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
I did a quick search on this subject and did not find anything.

I want to paint the inside of my new TT bumper, for two reasons; 1) Stop the rust, and 2) store the sewer hose inside it with causing rust stains on hose and rust particles rubbing thru the hose.

My plan is the made a giant swab from rags on a long handle. Remove as much particle matter in the bumper as possible. Swab the inside of the bumper with rust neutralizer and let dry. With second rag swab on a long stick spread a paint such as Rustoleum in the bumper and let cure.

Any suggestion out there that would be better? I would like to here them.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
28 REPLIES 28

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like pop rivets with washers.
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Forget storing your stinky slinky in the bumper! Store it all in a 5" vinyl fence post, I get two lengths of hose, a 45 degree clear elbow, and the 90 degree elbow to the park, all in one place.

Russ, how did you fasten the hinges and clasps to your fence posts? It looks like rivets. Thanks!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Por-15 might be a good product. I only used our bumper for storing the hose a few times in the very beginning and then realized how much of a PITA it was. Then just connected the ends together and put the 2 hoses in the back of the truck. Fast 'n easy. Last season I installed a Valterra sewer hose carrier under the frame. This is the best thing and faster than tossing the hoses in the back of the truck. Sewer hoses barely fit inside bumpers and I don't understand why they don't make the bumpers even just another 1/4" larger.

FWIW, you oughta see the rust inside A-frame tubing.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
riven1950 wrote:
Gdetrailer, The only plastics wd40 says to avoid are polycarbonate and polystyrene ( mostly clear ). Don't think this includes sewer hoses.

In my case the tube dries before the hoses are inserted. I do not spray the hoses.

Been spraying my outboard motor, small engines, and all kinds of things that have plasic on them for years. Never had a problem with plastic melting away so not to worried.

I am more concerned about my sewer hose failing due to poor construction and crappy materials used in making it. Tossed the el cheapo that came with the TT and now feel pretty confident it won't blow, especially not spontaneously. 🙂

Search WD-40 MSDS, you will find that it contains PETROLEUM BASES.

Many plastics also use PETROLEUM BASES.

While it may appear to not harm the plastic at first, it WILL over time degrade most plastics that have come into contact with it.

When WD-40 "dries" it leaves trace amounts of light oil.

You push and pull the slinky in and out and the coil spring edges will be in contact with that trace amount of light oil.

I have seen different plastics react to oils like Diesel, motor oil and even spray oils, not to mention gasoline. Some get soft, some just melt and some get brittle..

Don't believe me? Search for PVC/CPVC oil resistance, plenty of PVC/CPVC manufacturers warn of direct contact with other Petroleum products and I even found one manufacturer that DIRECTLY MENTIONED WD-40 as one to avoid contact with.

It is your life and your problem if that slinky fails while dumping, as for me, no thanks.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would never store my sewer hose inside the bumper.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the many ideas and suggestions. The hose is the Thetford Titan, I think 15'. It is a heavy duty hose that I hope will last for several years. My trailer is 7.5' wide, therefore the bumper is that length. With the hose compressed, I takes up almost the full length of the bumper, the down side of this heavy hose. I do have caps for each end of the hose which keeps any stinky water from spilling in the bumper.

I will think thru this some more as to whether to paint the inside of the bumper or make the vinyl fence post holder. Happy Camping!
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I coated the inside of my bumper not long after getting our new Sunseeker. Use a broom handle & a chunk of wood cut about a 1/4" smaller than the inside dimension. Cut a thin length of cottony material such as an old bath robe (your wife might forgive you if you buy her a pretty new one...), attach to the perimeter with staples. Attach block to the end of the broom handle (extra credit for drilling a hole & cutting threads to match the broom handle).
Get a can of cold galvanizing; liberally spray the inside of one end of the bumper and saturate the cloth on the swab block. Insert custom swab, work back and forth... apply, work, etc. Move to the other end and repeat.
Cold galvanizing doesn't coat like paint, but it will hold the rust at bay for a number of years. I use a lot of it here in the great north-WET!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago my Dad painted the inside of some tubular above ground swimming pool supports by by just pouring Rustoleum down the inside of a raised tube and letting the excess run out the other end into a catch can. He had to repeat a couple of time to get full coverage. Pretty easy and left a nice thick paint job even after all of the excess dripped out.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The Eastwood internal frame coating is good stuff but you'd probably have to drill a hole for access every 18" inches to get coverage. The spray can comes with a short wand. I did a jeep frame with 2 coats using openings in the frame from front to rear and then rear to front.
Currently Between RVs

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer, The only plastics wd40 says to avoid are polycarbonate and polystyrene ( mostly clear ). Don't think this includes sewer hoses.

In my case the tube dries before the hoses are inserted. I do not spray the hoses.

Been spraying my outboard motor, small engines, and all kinds of things that have plasic on them for years. Never had a problem with plastic melting away so not to worried.

I am more concerned about my sewer hose failing due to poor construction and crappy materials used in making it. Tossed the el cheapo that came with the TT and now feel pretty confident it won't blow, especially not spontaneously. 🙂

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.google.com/search?q=fence+post+sewer+hose+storage&biw=1188&bih=542&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiEsNPciOLJAhVB7yYKHZPWCNUQ_AUIBygC
I hope you can copy and post the above. there are many different post storage ideas for you

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Eastwood products. They have an internal frame coating product link that is really good stuff. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
You might try some kind of bed liner.
Moose

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I have painted the inside of three bumpers. I used an old trimmed mop ,plastic bucket and mixed various rust paints. Works great ,no more rusty hose
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!