cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather along route

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
I know Google Maps and CoPilot (and others) have active traffic reporting along your planned route, but I haven't seen any apps that have weather alerts/forecasting along the route. I have had several close calls with tornados and thunderstorms that pop up without much warning, and while I always look at weather during a trip, I yearn for an app that knows what my route is, and can pop an alert when it thinks I'm headed for a danger zone. Is that still a pipe dream, or have I missed something?

Regards,
JimB
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST
  • 2008 Buick Enclave toad
36 REPLIES 36

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Tornado - American Red Cross app when travelling, and it did help to warn us of a tornado warning in our path so the DW rerouted us.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mda
Explorer
Explorer
Trip4cast in the iPhone App Store.

Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you are, or have ever been a pilot with a valid medical certificate in the past (at least since I discovered DUATS) you have access to the DUATS automated aviation weather system.

Since weather affects recreational aviation even more than it affects us, I needed access to good weather into. Since I was an aviator in the past, I have access and when planning a trip (in the car, still on the beach WRT rving) I check aviation weather. I listen to 122.0 on the aviation scanner in case I hear anyone giving a pirep. I miss it, but RVing is a similar challenge (doing it and maintaining it) and the rewards are the same: travel the average person will never do. Even living a lifestyle that sets you apart.

Many good sources for things like

Satellite Imagery, WEST,
Satellite Images EAST, with access to both visible and several IR channels.
Good, basic groundling weather
Weather Radar for the Masses

There are others. I use these.

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
I use Raindar (Android) and our Garmin with smartlink.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
for those of you using Sirius/XM for weather...what channel is that on? the only weather I can find is on the channels that also offer real-time traffic and then just in certain specific cities.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
Sourdough Biscuits wrote:
Thanks deepdoc1,

I'm sure BOTH scenarios will be important to me starting next year. Didn't mean to side track your thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

Less of a side-track, more of a bump-nudge ๐Ÿ˜‰ Serendipity can be a good thing in a thread. Safe travels.
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i neglected to mention another option... our AM/FM dash radio. local radio stations can be great sources for severe weather information.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Best weather app I found for travelling is this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droid27.transparentclockweather&hl=en

You can select which alerts you want and it follows your location.

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks deepdoc1,

I'm sure BOTH scenarios will be important to me starting next year. Didn't mean to side track your thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for reminding me.
I forgot I had this map...

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
US Radar Map

Go to the link and bookmark it.. This is the CONUS map (Contential US) and from here you can link to sectional maps and even other types of maps.

I visit the CONUS radar map every day and if there is anything "interesting" the sectional map (Currently S.E. Loop)

Now do not do this once, Do it every day and with time you will see how the patterns on the map affecdt what you plan for the day or at least the next couple days.. I'm getting to where I can often predict storms. especially big storms, 2 or 3 days out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
our Weather Radio App does...
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

deepdoc1
Explorer
Explorer
If I get your question, we are talking about two different but related issues. It sounds like you want a weather alert based on where you are at the moment(?) which most of the aforementioned weather apps have the ability to do that, although I can't tell you about notifications vs alarms. I will investigate that because it's an important distinction. [Edit] I know on my phone, I can set exceptions for individual apps so they can notify me even during quiet time. See if that works for your situation. [end edit]

The thing I'm looking for is real-time weather alerts for conditions down the road some number of miles, so I can decide whether to wait or go on. For me, the answer is to make sure I check available resources before and during travel and use things like weather radar apps to get a sense of surrounding conditions.
Jim, Val & Georgie

• 2006 Bigfoot 40MH32ST

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning to post almost the same question, but I'm still not "getting" part of the answers...

Do any of the phone apps issue an audio ALARM that might actually wake me if I'm sleeping? It would need to access the "alarm" feature of my phone, because I have the phone in silent mode when I sleep. (The Alarm still rings when in silent, but not the phone ringer or Facebook/text/etc notices.)

Thanks in advance.