cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Orleans

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are thinking about going to the New Orleans area for spring break with the kids this year, and are looking for a campground.

We are looking ar St Bernard State Park. Does anyone have any insight on this one, or others in the area??

We are figuring on maybe a day or too in the city looking around, eating, and the aquarium:), and another day or so doing a plantation tour, and swamp tour. Any other ideas on things to do?? Should we take our bikes and kayaks??

Thanks for any insight!
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
15 REPLIES 15

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
Michigansandzilla - very nice photos and write up.

bbt
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were at Ponchartrain Landing 2 years ago--- interior roads were a mess. Huge potholes and very dusty when it wasn't raining. When it rained, it was a mud pit. Maybe they have addressed that ??
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Savary_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
X4 on Ponchartrain Landing. Also, Passport America park which makes it more affordable

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We took our kids to New Orleans last spring break. They were 14, 12, and 8. We had a great time.

We stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park. This was a very nice park, I would stay here again. No need for bikes.

We went to the aquarium, we've seen better.

We did the river cruise to Chalmette battlefield through the National Park. That was a fun cruise, and there's a buffet that the kids really liked.

We had a fabulous time on the airboat. Be sure to go to Jean Lafitte airboat tours. Their family owns part of the national park....we talk about our experience frequently. It was more educational than I ever could have guessed, and it was just fun.

I highly recommend visiting Jean Lafitte national park and walking through the bayou. It's an easy walk, but beautiful.

Also, the best plantation around is Oak Alley. It's beautiful. But it's busy. If you go near the end of the day instead of the beginning, you'll miss the multiple tour buses that are lined in waiting in the morning and you'll nearly have the place to yourself.
This is my own photo. We were the last tour of the day and nobody was lingering on the front lawn.

Enjoy!!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Ponchartrain Landing. Big rig friendly and spacious sites. Shuttle makes going downtown a breeze.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Luvs2Camp wrote:
We stay at Ponchartrain Landing RV Park. It is very close to the French Quarter and has a shuttle that runs from the campground to the quarter. If you miss the shuttle because you are having too much fun, a cab ride is about $20. Not a bad park either. Nice little bar & restaurant, good people running the place.

X2 on Ponchartrain Landing. We like the fact that it is on the canal and it is quite safe for New Orleans. Nice park but we do prefer the premium sites.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the info.

We had looked at Bayou Signette, but we were learning towards St Bernard since it looked to be in more of a woodsy area.

The kids are teenagers, so we are looking for things fun for them. We will probably go down Bourban St, but not spend much time there. We will have 4 full days there. I'd love to run down to Venice and fish, but doubt I'd be able to work that in. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, we stayed at a camp ground right at the French Quarter. It is very expensive, very close to Bourbon street, very convenient, very secure, and only a walk away from town. A taxi return at night is a must for your safety.

Make sure that you drive across the 24 mile bridge and visit "Oak Alley."
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Luvs2Camp
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Ponchartrain Landing RV Park. It is very close to the French Quarter and has a shuttle that runs from the campground to the quarter. If you miss the shuttle because you are having too much fun, a cab ride is about $20. Not a bad park either. Nice little bar & restaurant, good people running the place.
2011 F-350 Super Duty SRW Diesel Crew Cab
2014 Heartland Gateway 3200RS 38' 5th Wheel

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
D day museum. Not to be missed.

56Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Super reviews, very detailed, And I could not write better advice. I would caution not knowing the age of the " Kids" you may not want to drag them down Bourbon Street. There is sometimes a lot of Adult stuff going on that you may not want the little ones seeing. As with any Big city, NOLA, has her issues and that includes crime.

56Jeff

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
St Bernard is an OK state park. There's a bit of traffic at times getting to it as you're going on city streets.
We normally stay at Bayou Signette SP which is more on the west side of town. Going to it from the west involves very little town driving and those are small towns. It might not be as convienent for you.
Louisiana does a very good job on the state parks. Clean shower houses, electric and good wifi. Sewer dumps in the campground. Needless to say for that area of LA, the sites are level and flat.
If you only plan on going into the city a couple of times and visiting other places during the week you might consider either Fountainbleu SP or Fairview Riverside SP. Either are nice and we've stayed several times at them. They're not far apart from each other located in Madisonville and Mandeville on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain. Easy to get to from I-12. Fairview Riverside SP isn't as large as Fountainbleu SP but bikes can be fun at either. Can't recall if kayaking at Fountainbleu but there is a boat ramp at Fairview Riverside if you want to give it a try. Alligators need to eat too.
Lots of good restaurants on the north shore. Our favorite is Morton's in Mandeville. Also The Chimes in Covington. Both have really good seafood. A $10 shrimp poboy served with fries and come hungry. They don't skimp on the shrimp.
Staying on the northshore and driving into the French Quarter can be a treat for the kids crossing the Causeway. $5 going south, no cost going north.
Getting into the French Quarter isn't too bad. I-10 to I-610 to the Elysian Fields Exit. Take Elysian Fields south to where you can't go any further and you're at the river 1 block from the French Quarter and French Market. If you turn right you'll be on Decatur St. Several large parking lots after you pass Jackson Square.
In the FQ for a lot of food and a good price we like Deanies. They have a Deanies in the French Quarter and one on the lake shore in the Bucktown area. Come hungry.
For plantation tours it depends on what you want to see. A number of them west of town. Oak Alley is probably the most famous and the one you see the picture of the most. They're all different and have different histories. For a plantation close to New Orleans there's Destrehan almost at the base of the I-310 bridge.
If you plan to go to the National WWII Museum then go as soon as they open and plan to stay all day.
If you want to ride the streetcar (trolley) then do the Green Line that runs from Canal St along St Charles. It goes past some really nice, big, old homes.
The Natchez riverboat runs 3 times a day. A nice cruise down the river and they explain some of the history. They also serve food on the Natchez but I recommend you pass. It's OK, not the best, and there are so many really good places to eat in the city that you don't want to fill up on what they serve on the boat.
Walk the streets and people watch. Lots of good street entertainment. Look for some good street music on Royal.
Watch out for the panhandlers. Watch your wallet and purse. If someone tells you they know where you got your shoes, keep on walking.
Camped in every state

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sean and Kristy recently did a fairly comprehensive review of NOLA, including several campgrounds

YouTubes
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
These should work for a day or too.

Orleans posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman