cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Need Propane as we Travel Interstates

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
We are new with a Class A and will need Prop? What is the best resource to check as we are moving down the road? Should we call the Truck Stop before arriving for the Prop I know and understand how get the Diesel at pumps If you guys have any suggestion concerning these matters Help!
20 REPLIES 20

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I presume you will be staying in FHU private camp grounds from time to time. If so, almost all of them, that are worth their salt, will a propane station to sell propane.

But you should not go through a lot of propane fast. The biggest use of propane is the furnace. And if you are in a FHU rv park, just use an electric heater.

Eyeland wrote:
We are new with a Class A and will need Prop? What is the best resource to check as we are moving down the road? Should we call the Truck Stop before arriving for the Prop I know and understand how get the Diesel at pumps If you guys have any suggestion concerning these matters Help!
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
obgraham wrote:
RV parks were always the easiest source of LP for me.

But often expensive

Depending on where you are at.. Some gas stations, here in SC ACE hardware stores and such carry Propane.

You will often find Propane Wholsale places (Tank farms) near the interstate.

But the most reliable is the Flying-J truck/auto/rv places.. The "My Pilot" app will find 'em for you and tell you if they have propane.

Two special cases
Flint: MI: Google Parker's Propane. (A wholesale shop) they also do tank recertification for Trailer types.

Tekonsha, MI.. Carmichael's Propane. hard to find, but again a wholesale place (Easy for me to find but hard for most folks.. The Tank Farm used to be a dairy farm... I shoveled political promises by the ton when I was growing up there.... Also where I learned to back aq trailer).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
When traveling I most often used campgrounds as a source for LPG, topping off on the way in or on the way out. My wife liked KOAs, and most KOA locations sell LPG, it may be a franchise requirement. Flying J is another option, if you are in Flying J country. Other travel centers with major trucking business may retail LPG, as it is used by some refrigeration technologies.

Most of these locations are retail, they will usually have a higher price than retail services at a major wholesaler, but not always. Some LPG wholesalers don't really want to keep staff on site to handle casual small sales, and price to discourage customers.

I've found that when I was out about 1-2 weeks every month, I would need to top off once every 2-3 months, usually about half of my 18 gallon capacity. In winter, running the furnace overnight at 20F to 40F, about once a week. Casual summer camping since my wife died, once a year.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
yea agree with others in that propane doesn't go thru fast unless it is heating a furnace in very cold temps and ya blow thru it fast.
Propane is all over, just ask where the next place is for a fillup...you will be fine on this

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You could go all summer traveling and not run out of propane especially if your water heater is on electric! RVs use very little except for heat.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
swiftboot22 wrote:
I think it is proper procedure for the propane supplier to turn off your onboard tank to insure no open flame in coach. They almost always forget to turn it back on afterwards, you should check before getting underway.

That is standard procedure, but you should also turn off appliances (like the fridge) manually. The electronic igniter systems don't know the propane is shut off at the tank, and if they want to light they'll spark and retry a few times at intervals. Similarly, the generator and main engine need to be turned off as well.

swiftboot22
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is proper procedure for the propane supplier to turn off your onboard tank to insure no open flame in coach. They almost always forget to turn it back on afterwards, you should check before getting underway.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We carry 32 gallons of propane. We have run the fridge and furnace on propane exclusively while traveling and still had plenty of propane when we reached our destination. I don't think that finding propane will be a major concern for you.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Best source varies from place to place. I will name two or 3 specific places and a general "Freeway near the exit" place. Flying-J.. (You can download the app (My Pilot) to your phone) Flying-Js USUALLY have PROPANE for RV's. some other truck stops do as well but it is common at J's Not as common at Pilot's even if it is the same company. Usually a good price too, sometimes the best.

I'm currently in Oconee County South Carolina (FairPlay) Surburan propane delivers to the park.. BUT. the ACE hardware in Seneca (or Clemson but that's a different county) has better price. Herratige propane (The local wholsale place) Last time I checked was EXPENSIVE.

Tekonsha MI. Where the Truck stop that started the "Truck/Auto Service Plaza" concept was founded by the fathers of two of my classmates and another man

Carmichael's Propane Service.. hard to find if you don't know the area.. (For me dang near with my eyes closed. you see the Propane Tank Farm used to be a dairy farm. I shoveled a lot of political promises there. )

Flint, MI. Parker's Propane

Farther north check out Regular Gas Stations.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
In RV parks with shore power your fridge should be on 120V anyhow, and cooking on the grill, and for that matter on a picnic table using a electric hot plate is, to me, nicer than cooking on the stove inside. The hot plate uses the CG power but gets you outside, and you also should have one of those $20 Korean butane burner hotplates, and they are good to cook on the picnic table with. I don't want to smell up and grease up the inside of the MH.

Long story short, you may not use much propane at all, unless you are in cold weather and need the furnace. Again, if in a park with power, use their power to run the heat pump if you have one, or run an electric space heater. Saves your money and gas.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doubt you will need propane on the road. Most likely you will top off at your destinations. If the camp does not have it they will certainly be able to assist finding a location. Not a big deal generally.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
If the gas station doesn't have propane, go inside and ask. They'll tell you where the nearest propane is.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Since I discovered that Menard's has propane stations, that's where I've been filling up. Very quick, efficient "pay at pump" and I'm on my way.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
just make sure you turn off the frig and anything else that might make your MH explode. I saw it once and it was not pretty. if you don't believe me then go to youtube and look up a few of the ones that blew up while refilling the propane tanks