cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Wiring Critique

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
Dual slide out wiring in 2007 Komfort travel trailer. Post your theory explaining why it is wired this way. Correct? Incorrect? I have my theory.

Left side wire is incoming from batteries.

Jumper wire from left breaker to left stud on right breaker piggybacked to wire powering the large slide.

Right stud on right breaker powers the small slide.

IMG_20180104_161301443 by trailrider383, on Flickr
2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD GAS!!!
1978 Chevrolet Silverado K20 4x4
2007 Komfort 277TS
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2018 Honda Rancher TRX420FA6
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X
17 REPLIES 17

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I'm guessing the breakers are different sizes, the little slide needing a smaller breaker (either due to smaller gauge wiring heading towards it--though that's not obvious--or per the slide mechanism maker's specifications). Having them both fed through the large breaker prevents overcorrect if both are operated simultaneously, though I assume there's also a fuse or breaker at the battery end of the incoming power feed wire.

And, I agree with ScottG, that this is a neat and clean installation.

That is the same conclusion I came up with. The supply wire isn't big enough to handle both slides in use simultaneously. So the first breaker on the left would trip since power for both slides passes through it.

I see nobody noticed the right breaker is installed backwards. The copper colored post is for battery power and the other post is for the load.
2007 Komfort 277TS
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all both breakers are junk IMO. Get Bussmann Highamp or equivalent.

Left breaker is redundant as the other end of the wire should have a master fuse/breaker to protect the wire. Or is this next to the power distribution panel? You only need one breaker there if the branch circuit wire cannot handle the amps of the fuse back at the battery. All wire looks same so no branch circuit breaker needed.

Clean? I would clean it up with heat shrink sealed terminals if taking anything apart.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Gyro gearloose aptitude. The principal thing that is wrong with that arrangement is that is has been configured to make it non-intuitive in nature. An incoming wire that manifolds at the stud makes it comprehensible. This does not. Like a lunchroom bet "Hey man I wonder how many people aren't going to figure this out?"

A D- for ergonomic layout.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a post of yours that I quoted that has been changed?:?
2007 Komfort 277TS
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
trailrider wrote:
ScottG wrote:
trailrider wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I didn't think the breakers were in series. Looks like 1 feed wire supplying both from the middle. Then a wire comes out of each end & goes to slide (Breakers are not polarity conscious). I would never try to deploy more than one slide at a time so the circuit looks fine to me.

No, as I said in the original post the left side wire is incoming from batteries. So power to the small slide goes in series through both breakers.

That would actually be a parallel circuit.
Series would be if one slide were powered by both breakers connected end to end.

Cheers,
Scott

Power comes in on the left wire and goes out the farthest wire to the right to the small slide. So power goes through both breakers to the small slide. Series in my mind.

You managed to quote a post i changed ๐Ÿ˜„

I agree though.
I've seen this series and sometimes parallel method used to stop slides from pausing. Different for sure but electrically viable.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
trailrider wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I didn't think the breakers were in series. Looks like 1 feed wire supplying both from the middle. Then a wire comes out of each end & goes to slide (Breakers are not polarity conscious). I would never try to deploy more than one slide at a time so the circuit looks fine to me.

No, as I said in the original post the left side wire is incoming from batteries. So power to the small slide goes in series through both breakers.

Series would be if one slide were powered by both breakers connected end to end.

Cheers,
Scott

Power comes in on the left wire and goes out the farthest wire to the right to the small slide. So power goes through both breakers to the small slide. Series in my mind.
2007 Komfort 277TS
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I'm guessing the breakers are different sizes, the little slide needing a smaller breaker (either due to smaller gauge wiring heading towards it--though that's not obvious--or per the slide mechanism maker's specifications). Having them both fed through the large breaker prevents overcorrect if both are operated simultaneously, though I assume there's also a fuse or breaker at the battery end of the incoming power feed wire.

And, I agree with ScottG, that this is a neat and clean installation.

This sounds correct- it makes sense, at least.
-- Chris Bryant

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
trailrider wrote:
ScottG wrote:

I think I misunderstood what you wrote.
I am getting over the effects of anesthesia write now :B (hand surgery..)

Cheers,
Scott

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
trailrider wrote:
ScottG wrote:

Cheers,
Scott

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
As DrewE said, the breaker on the left is bigger then the one one the right so the breaker on the left is for the big slide and the one one the right is for the little slide. Maybe if the wire to the big slide was on the other side of the jumper it would look better but it's fine that way.

trailrider
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

2007 Komfort 277TS
2017 Montesa 4RT260
2021 Honda CRF450X

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
deleted (duplicate)
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran