cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sky light maintenance

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a product out there that someone has used to restore the clarity of their sky light?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
I'd rather have mine hazy or translucent and not clear. If you can gaze out someone can gaze in. Imagine someone with a camera phone and a very long selfie stick wandering the campground at night or flying a drone around. I'm not being paranoid, just pointing out the possibilities and giving those whom are paranoid something else to worry about. So I you hear what sounds like a giant mosquito flying around the bathroom roof vent and the fan isn't on you might want to cover up.

If someone is dumb enough to peek into our skylight while I'm showering, they'll be washing their eyes out with soap and having nightmares! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
For the cost and time spent trying to "polish a turd" I would simple buy a replacement unit and seal it down properly. Most likely the factory job was lacking.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather have mine hazy or translucent and not clear. If you can gaze out someone can gaze in. Imagine someone with a camera phone and a very long selfie stick wandering the campground at night or flying a drone around. I'm not being paranoid, just pointing out the possibilities and giving those whom are paranoid something else to worry about. So I you hear what sounds like a giant mosquito flying around the bathroom roof vent and the fan isn't on you might want to cover up.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
You could also try aviation products used to remove scratches from windshields and the plexiglas polishers.

Now that makes sense. The "All Kleer" looks promising.

Thanks,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Do you gaze out this skylight?

Yes, I do.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
You could also try aviation products used to remove scratches from windshields and the plexiglas polishers.

Available here
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
BarKeepers Friend then a good wax.
cpaulsen

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would keep contact with chemicals and rubbing to a minimum. They get brittle with age and you can easily accelerate the point of failure.

As long as it's letting enough light in to see in the bathroom, don't fix what isn't broken. (yes you need to keep the edges sealed)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do you gaze out this skylight?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Was your skylight originally clear?
I painted our skylight with rubber roof coating to help keep the sun/heat out.
Personally, I would not want a clear sklight on a RV.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
BTW For headlights and maybe the skylight, after you have them clear put some 303 Aerospace Protectant on to protect the plastic from UV rays. It should keep the headlights from re fogging. I have only had it on for 3 month here in NM sunshine, so I am not sure yet how long it lasts, but it is easy to re-apply after a few months instead of re-polishing the plastic.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Indeed give the headlight stuff a chance but i think the fogginess goes all the way through. ๐Ÿ˜ž

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You might try one of the headlight restoring products. My favorite comes in an 8 ounce bottle for about $10 and is called "Blue Magic Headlight Restorer." It's quick, cheap, fast, does a great job, and lasts about 6 months on headlights. Dunno about on skylights, haven't tried it. The 8 ounce bottle, btw, is a lifetime supply, as each headlight takes about a tablespoon full. Skylight might take two.

Everybody else I've heard of ignores them until the plastic has degraded enough to break. The cure then, of course, is to replace.