cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help needed with Honda EX-650 generator

Msu1976
Explorer
Explorer
Some time ago, I acquired a Honda ex650 generator that is in very good condition over all. I'd never had any need to use it until we had lost power in the house one day. My son was doing laundry, and was in need to finish drying his clothes so he could go to work. Thought I could help out by using the generator- for the first time. It started up great, and when I plugged in the dryer (it was connected to a heavy duty extension cord), the dryer almost immediately popped and began smoking. It had burned out. Out fuses and wires. I retried the generator on a few old junk electronics and received the same results. With that, I put the generator away until recently. I called Honda, the tech told me that if the generator had not been used for a while, it probably lost its magnetism and would require "Flashing". I've taken it to an authorized Honda dealer; and they told me (after $125.00 testing) that it would need a condenser. Also that a bulb would need to be replaced. Would a bad condenser cause these problems? He also mentioned a compacitor, but he may have mis spoke on that. They're stating this fix to cost $402.00 (includes the 125.00)! Hard to believe this, and hard to imagine that the generator would be worth that. Would appreciate any further advise, or expertise. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just as a bit of info for those interested, here's the specs for some discontinued Honda generators:
http://www.tappedin.com/hop/html/litegen.htm

That EX650 is a wonderful design from an earlier era of generators. We carry one in our motorhome all the time for coach battery charging whenever we don't want to run the built-in Onan or idle the main engine with it's alternator for charging. At a full load 3600 RPM noise spec of 54dB, it's almost in a class by itself on quietness - including the modern inverter generators.

Off topic, but our EX650 will run a hair dryer set to LOW, or our 45 amp RV converter to power most 12V items when drycamping, and some other 120V items when drycamping -> EXCEPT FOR our RV's Norcold refrigerator .... which for some reason will not switch over to pure electric power whenever the RV's shore cable is plugged into the EX650. Does anyone know what is the cause of this strange reaction from the Norcold?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Msu1976
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The question is...

Capacitors get old. ANY capacitor with the correct rating will work as long as it will fit. Tell me how much you want for the critter and I will see about shipping*. That was a good tiny generator design. Few shops are willing to invest time in sourcing a correct alternative capacitor. And Honda prices are like buying a six pack in a house of ill-repute.

To: San Diego

Sent you a PM

Msu1976
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone that responded with their thoughts, ideas, and knowledge. I certainly welcome any further insights from others. My abundant ignorance on mechanical issues has played its part. It's nice to be able to turn to such helpful, and knowledgeable people when hind sight clearly slaps one upside the head.

Explorer II
Explorer II
If the capacitor has failed you will have unregulated ripple on your rotor winding. The field winding will sense this and react in a negative manner, making the problem worse. This will cause a higher, unstable, rippling output voltage on the stator output. An Oscope will pick this up.

Flashing the field winding is a simple, 2 minute process.

The drier inductive motor might have stressed your little generator to failure. This was just a failure waiting to happen.

With that said, find out the real resale value of this generator before you drop another penny on it. You may find you are throwing good money after bad. It's not worth repairing. Apply that $400 towards a more modern, more capable generator.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could just be the governor needs adjusting. If the engine runs faster than 3600 rpm, the voltage increases proportionally.

Hereโ€™s an old thread from another guy who had the same issue (though no resolution shown).
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24169880.cfm

Msu1976
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Assuming it's a gas dryer, the generator conceivably might be (barely) able to run it. 6A is one specification I found online. (It's pretty hard to find the electric usage of gas dryers with an online search.) Regardless, 2oldman seems to be on the right path here; the generator seemingly was not putting out the proper voltage.

If it's an electric dryer, there's no hope of powering it from the 600W generator, nor even of plugging it in, for that matter. A standard electric dryer circuit is a 30A 240V circuit.

It was a gas (propane) dryer. But, it also fried a couple of small electrical items that I tried (old alarm clock radio for one). So, would you believe the capacitor is the problem? If so, would that be something that is easy to replace/repair?

Msu1976
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
That generator is one of the extremely quiet ones. They were quieter than my EU2000i twins. That being said, they are only rated for 600 watts.
Think crock pots, not clothes driers.

Thanks for your reply. It is a really quiet generator. It also fried an old alarm clock radio that I had, and some other small electric thing- don't remember what else that I tried. If it's the capacitor, or something simple, I'll try to repair it, and then sell it.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Msu1976 wrote:
Would the Honda representative be correct regarding the "Flashing", or are the Flashing issue and the condenser/capacitor issue the same. .. thinking about just getting it repaired, and then selling it.
I know next to nothing about flashing..sorry.

I'm sure it's a nice generator, but it's not an inverter style and will run at a constant high rpm. Whether it's quiet I don't know.. I think I've seen maybe one of these in 15 years of camping. It's not a real popular unit. It's also only 700 watts.. pretty small.

Considering its problems, I'd just give it to your nearest generator collector.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming it's a gas dryer, the generator conceivably might be (barely) able to run it. 6A is one specification I found online. (It's pretty hard to find the electric usage of gas dryers with an online search.) Regardless, 2oldman seems to be on the right path here; the generator seemingly was not putting out the proper voltage.

If it's an electric dryer, there's no hope of powering it from the 600W generator, nor even of plugging it in, for that matter. A standard electric dryer circuit is a 30A 240V circuit.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The question is...

Capacitors get old. ANY capacitor with the correct rating will work as long as it will fit. Tell me how much you want for the critter and I will see about shipping*. That was a good tiny generator design. Few shops are willing to invest time in sourcing a correct alternative capacitor. And Honda prices are like buying a six pack in a house of ill-repute.

To: San Diego

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
That generator is one of the extremely quiet ones. They were quieter than my EU2000i twins. That being said, they are only rated for 600 watts.
Think crock pots, not clothes driers.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Msu1976
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I think you're a bit undereducated on what a generator is capable of running. A clothes dryer is a whopping big load.

Sounds like it was pumping out TOO much voltage if it's burning things up. For curiosity's sake I'd start it up and put a voltmeter on it. Make sure the AC setting on the meter is around 500 volts.

A condenser and a capacitor (not compacitor) are the same thing, according to my somewhat limited electronics education.

Thanks 2oldman. You'd be correct regarding me being a "bit undereducated" regarding generators. Probably even more than that. Don't have a voltmeter; and never used one. Not a mechanical type of person. Was looking for some mechanical, repair type of advice. Would a defective condenser/capacitor cause those types issues or damage. Would the Honda representative be correct regarding the "Flashing", or are the Flashing issue and the condenser/capacitor issue the same. Because I probably will never use it, I was thinking about just getting it repaired, and then selling it. I understand that these were very nice little generators.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're a bit undereducated on what a generator is capable of running. A clothes dryer is a whopping big load.

Sounds like it was pumping out TOO much voltage if it's burning things up. For curiosity's sake I'd start it up and put a voltmeter on it. Make sure the AC setting on the meter is around 500 volts.

A condenser and a capacitor (not compacitor) are the same thing, according to my somewhat limited electronics education.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy a new one also than invest that heavy into one so old