Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Retuning diesel motor for more torque and hp
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Retuning diesel motor for more torque and hp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dons2346 is right. You have to monitor trans, engine temperatures carefully especially in the steeps. If you use a tuner make sure you use the towing setting. Most tow rigs will have a trans cooler. Listen for the auxiliary fan. On steep grades the smart thing to do is pull over and let your engine cool down.

This is the reason I don't like heavy trailers say over 5,000-6,000 pounds dry. For people that mostly drive in the Midwest or back East it is less of a challenge.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our set up gives us less fuel flow at low power settings, and only modifies the max fuel flow at full power.

our 350 is now maxed out at 400, but gives us overall better fuel millage, after all how much of the time are you at full power?

Yes, it will heat up when you are at full power for a long time, So you watch it and back off when you need to.

no biggie to anyone with a bit of common sense

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

tune up requires more than a 'chip'
often requires new injectors, more turbo boost etc..

There is a lot that can be done with out doing all that. most injectors do not pump at full capacity the electronic injectors can be held open longer or shorter as required to gain what you need.

Mechanical pumps are history.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you looking at a aftermarket tuner or flashing the stock computer? Big difference between the two.

Many computers are set differently for different motors based on what each individual manufacturer wants at that time. Example, my DP has a 5.9 cummins at 275hp and 660ft.lbs. but the same motor was offered in the following years with 300 and then 325 hp. and around 890 ft. lbs. torque. Cummins service for a fee will reflash my computer to give me the 325 hp. and 890 ft. lbs. but I haven't convinced myself it is worth the fee. Loss of mpg and a little more stress on components, not sure it outways going up the hills faster.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

discovery4us wrote:

Are you looking at a aftermarket tuner or flashing the stock computer? Big difference between the two.

Many computers are set differently for different motors based on what each individual manufacturer wants at that time. Example, my DP has a 5.9 cummins at 275hp and 660ft.lbs. but the same motor was offered in the following years with 300 and then 325 hp. and around 890 ft. lbs. torque. Cummins service for a fee will reflash my computer to give me the 325 hp. and 890 ft. lbs. but I haven't convinced myself it is worth the fee. Loss of mpg and a little more stress on components, not sure it outways going up the hills faster.

How do you know you will loose fuel milage, Our coach gained mileage over all, and horse power at the top end.

Our programmer runs about 9=12 pounds of boost, and about 1000-1200 EGT. that is on level ground at 60-65 mph.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

discovery4us wrote:

How do you know you will loose fuel milage, Our coach gained mileage over all, and horse power at the top end.

Our programmer runs about 9=12 pounds of boost, and about 1000-1200 EGT. that is on level ground at 60-65 mph.

I don't. Cummins tech told me 15% increase in power but will see a 15% loss in mpg. Currently average 10 MPG so losing 1.5 MPG wouldn't be the end of the world and may not even lose that.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/18 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

discovery4us wrote:

I don't. Cummins tech told me 15% increase in power but will see a 15% loss in mpg. Currently average 10 MPG so losing 1.5 MPG wouldn't be the end of the world and may not even lose that.

If that is Cummins program I wouldn't use it, get an after market.

Or put the Cummins program in it for free and see what it really does. If you don't like it have it taken out and re-fitted with the program you have now or a better one.

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a diablo tuner for my 5.9 cummins dually and wanted the tuner for better fuel milage when the computer was retuned for economy I gained a extra 50 horsepower I asked the techs how could I get better milage by increasing horsepower, the reply was because our tuner tunes the engine better so better economy and a plus of more H P . now days the people who make a living pulling goose necks want the trucks E G R and D E F deleted cools engine better and provides cleaner oil but it defeats emissions

Gibsenca

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Maxx Force 7 was released with four settings for HP and Torque. International must give a code to allow a tech to reprogram. International refuses to provide the codes. So it really is a moot point. It is frustrating since the Workhorse chassis is capable handling more and the Allison Trans in as well. But for whatever reason International won't release the codes. So we will likely just start looking at selling this one and getting something else.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Call banks Power, they are the experts

X2, before you consider selling and going in to debt. Banks can tell you if what you need is possible.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Retuning diesel motor for more torque and hp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS