Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Retuning diesel motor for more torque and hp
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Retuning diesel motor for more torque and hp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Gibsenca".....A lot of nay sayers on here. I chipped my 400 ISL with DIGI CR chip and increased HP by 50 HP (dyno). My mileage went up and my hill climbing improved dramatically.

Many are correct about the trans. Find out want your transmission torque rating is and tune accordingly. If they can electronically tune your engine with a computer flash, that's the best way to go.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
Cummins 450ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with a new air cleaner and 4 inch exhaust. You can tune for towing power. Some people pull on grades at too low RPMs. Diesels like 2,200 or a little more. When you have more air in and more air out you need to monitor temperature carefully of both the engines and trans.

What RPM range do you pull grades with?
If you are too aggressive with your tuning you can overheat the engine and/or the transmission which can lead to failure.

I get over 300 hp out of a Ford 7.3 from 2002 and it is enough. I have achieved 23.8 mpg on the flats empty with this set up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Retuning diesel motor for more torque and hp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS