Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: opinions?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> opinions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all. Thinking about coming back from the dark side. A popup give so much more bang for the buck with space. (wife and I with 2 young kids and likely a 3rd soon) We don't use our washroom in the camper often and are thinking about taking a look at this

opinions?

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

Hey all. Thinking about coming back from the dark side. A popup give so much more bang for the buck with space. (wife and I with 2 young kids and likely a 3rd soon) We don't use our washroom in the camper often and are thinking about taking a look at this

opinions?

At 2:00AM in the morning getting dressed and walking around the campground to go potty sounds like a lot of fun[emoticon][emoticon]

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a huge step down from your current pictured rig.
bumpy

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should camp the way y’all want to, but I think you’d be making a mistake.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a pop-up for 8 or 9 years when the kids were young. You think there is more room but the floor is only 12 ft and much of that is taken up by the booth and counter, pulse no overhead cabinets. There is not as much room as you think.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming you will keep the tow vehicle and it tows the current trailer well, I think you are making a major downgrade.
- Bathroom
- Kitchen/Fridge
- Storage for 5 peoples stuff
- Quicker to setup and tear down
- No need to dry it out after a rainy weekend.
- Quieter

Popups are workable but a significant downgrade.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing I saw was the year of the camper... 2001? That is 17 years old. Even maintained in excellent shape, wouldn't the folding parts have to be replaced to be dependable, just from age? How hard / expensive is it to replace the foldout cloth / canvas parts?

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That camper looks nice, clean, and well maintained. I don't think you'll have very many issues with it. If this is what you really want, I say, "Go for it!"

We had a Starcraft Venture pop-up for 6 years and used it a lot over that time. However, it did not have the floor plan like yours intended purchase here. There were no beds (table folding down, or a couch folding down) that took the entire space below the bunk ends. We looked at models like yours and decided immediately they would not work. Whoever is sleeping in the bunk end will be stepping on and climbing over those sleeping on the lower bed. There's no way around it. If you have kids sleeping, this can be very testing for them. (For both the one who climbs over, and the one being climbed over.)

Folks move up and down the RV food chain all the time. I'd never want to own a Motor Home and no desire for a Fifth Wheel. I'm happy with a trailer. Others are happy with Motor Homes and would NEVER consider moving back into a travel trailer. So, don't let the nay-sayers rain on your parade. No doubt, you've thought this through and everyone's style of camping IS different from everyone else. If this works better for you, then GO FOR IT!

Just curious? Is there any way you can keep your current trailer AND still get the pop-up? Then you'd have the best of both, and if the style of camping is more suitable for one or the other, you can flip back and forth at whim. Sometimes, I wish we would have kept our pop-up so we could do more varied type camping.

DutchmenSport

2013 Outback 298RE
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually
1400 / 14000 Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution
2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 old folks and lots of love!

Mortimer Brewster

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/18 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popups are great for young families. Being smaller, it would be easier to store and easier to pull. People move up to travel trailers for a reason. To me, the biggest negative to moving down would be that there will be a lot less room to put gear/supplies. As the kids grow, you would miss the extra storage space even more. When we had a popup we kept a cooler in our TV since the refrigerator was so small. How does the refrigerator in your TT compare? If you will need to start bringing a cooler along, then you will lose space in your SUV.
If you decide to go for the popup, check that the lift mechanism works smoothly. I’d also look the canvas over closely. Good luck!

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my thinking is we always tent camped then had popups and liked them
family still uses them
they have more room than we have
we don't use our washroom or furnace
we spend the time outside and cook outside
even rain we prefer outside under awning
only sit inside in sideways rain
popup is lighter and easier to tow
easier to store
offers more space
lets me bring the boat (we used to bring the boat upside down on the camper) or at least the canoe is easier if I don't go with the boat.
its 10 years newer than mine with less to go wrong
will burn less gas
only real negatives I see are
losing storage space
losing some sound dededing and insulating properties
having to set up at home if wet
longer setup and tear down time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> opinions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS