Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: opinions?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> opinions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a large popup with a side slide and toilet and we had a lot of fun in it, but I wouldn't go back to it. Setting it up and taking it down sucked, and you had to set it up to pack it and unpack it too. The fridge was tiny. Ours lacked AC so it sucked in hot weather, but it also sucked in cold weather. Storage was seriously lacking. It wasn't nearly as nice on road trips because you couldn't access anything in the trailer easily, and forget about pulling off for a quick stop so one of the kids could use the bathroom.

My opinion is you'd be taking a big step back.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really enjoyed our PUP for 9 years and went to a TT. I miss all the windows, kinda feel like I'm in a box in my TT.

We had a slide out for our dinette in the PUP, and it really opened it up.

The biggest problem I had with the PUP is that most of the time we would open it before we left to load it, and then again when we got home. We got to the point we really didn't want to go if we could only stay for 2 nights. With the TT, we will go for one night since it is so easy.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

Hey all. Thinking about coming back from the dark side. A popup give so much more bang for the buck with space. (wife and I with 2 young kids and likely a 3rd soon) We don't use our washroom in the camper often and are thinking about taking a look at this

opinions?

I can't really blame you. Pup camping is so much more simple, and gives much more options.

However. 3500 for a 17 year old canvas pup is kind of high. we were at the Charlotte camper show over the weekend, and for only a little more. You can get a new one. You may even be able to find one without canvas. Look around before you spring for a 17 year old canvas camper. Rockwood had some VERY nice, affordable pups at the show. Almost made me want to go back.

Another thing to think about. The company that made those Coleman pups ( Fleetwood ) is out of the camper business. Could be hard to find replacement parts, canvas and stuff.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks fir the info guys. Terrylan, no disrespect but remember I live in Canada where our money (although coulourful) is near worthless and our goods are overpriced.

I also live in boating mecca where canvas repairs/replacements are readily available. Not saying ill do that one, (or any one) just struck me as a nice unit at a good price. in reality I will most likely put 1 more season then trade the prowler on a large pup

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

thanks fir the info guys. Terrylan, no disrespect but remember I live in Canada where our money (although coulourful) is near worthless and our goods are overpriced.

I also live in boating mecca where canvas repairs/replacements are readily available. Not saying ill do that one, (or any one) just struck me as a nice unit at a good price. in reality I will most likely put 1 more season then trade the prowler on a large pup

Didn't know that about your money.

Great strides in pups have been made in the past 17 years. Like I said. some we looked at. Made me want to go back. 12' box with front storage, and all the bells for 6500.

DiskDoctr

PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a TT but also camp in tents sometimes, and other times barely even that!

Camp how you want to camp [emoticon]

Larger fridge, bathroom, A/C is why we upgraded initially to a hybrid.

Longer trips, having a larger TV, bringing guests and extending camping season is why we upgraded this past year to a larger TT.

We really liked each camper. WE changed our needs and types of camping. If we changed our purposes again, we wouldn't fear going the other direction in campers, too.

It's all in what suits your family's needs [emoticon]

Good luck with your decision.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totally your call. You know what you like and what you want more than anyone else possibly could.

Here are a few thoughts. We owned a 1999 Coleman - similar vintage to the one you're looking at. While Coleman's were the best-made popups back in that era, they did have some problems. In particular, the roofs. Ours had a one-piece ABS roof that developed problems. The one you're looking at doesn't appear to have the ABS roof, but it's hard to tell because they don't tell what model it is. When Coleman began having to replace the ABS roofs under warrantee they switched to an aluminum roof (I believe). That also developed problems. I think the one you're looking at may have that aluminum roof.

For what it's worth, I sold our 1999 Coleman for $2500 US about a year and a half ago. I think $3500 CA is high for what you're looking at. The only way to find out is to make them a low offer and see if they go for it.

I totally "get" what you are talking about with loving the popup camping experience. There are aspects of it that I miss in our TT. I particularly miss the open, airyness of the popup at night when the owls are calling.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2013 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 5.0L V8
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
Equalizer 800-8000 Weight Distributing Hitch

gheicher

Southwestern PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkTwain wrote:

At 2:00AM in the morning getting dressed and walking around the campground to go potty sounds like a lot of fun[emoticon][emoticon]

Especially when trying to get back to the camper at 2 AM when there is a skunk between you and your trailer. Ask me how I know and what amenity my next trailer contained.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gheicher wrote:

MarkTwain wrote:

At 2:00AM in the morning getting dressed and walking around the campground to go potty sounds like a lot of fun[emoticon][emoticon]

Especially when trying to get back to the camper at 2 AM when there is a skunk between you and your trailer. Ask me how I know and what amenity my next trailer contained.

The value of your own potty any time is priceless[emoticon][emoticon] During a very hot drvie across the desert, I pulled into a rest stop, turned the h2o pump on and got a refreshing shower[emoticon][emoticon]

Adam H

People's Republic of Kalifornia

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/18 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did it and never looked back. Like others have said, it depends on your camping needs at this time. Going back to a PUP kept me interested in camping when I was ready to throw in the towel. Mine does have a bathroom though, wife insisted...

Adam

2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> opinions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS