Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: opinions?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> opinions?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/18 03:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

thanks fir the info guys. Terrylan, no disrespect but remember I live in Canada where our money (although coulourful) is near worthless and our goods are overpriced.

I also live in boating mecca where canvas repairs/replacements are readily available. Not saying ill do that one, (or any one) just struck me as a nice unit at a good price. in reality I will most likely put 1 more season then trade the prowler on a large pup

Didn't know that about your money.

Great strides in pups have been made in the past 17 years. Like I said. some we looked at. Made me want to go back. 12' box with front storage, and all the bells for 6500.

good deal something like that around here new would be more than double that

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/18 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adam H wrote:

. Mine does have a bathroom though, wife insisted...

Adam

a smart woman.
that's one thing (along with $22,000) holding me back from getting a 4 wheel pick up camper. I'd even settle for a place to slide a port a pot in and out.
bumpy

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/18 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we don't use our washroom so this is really a non issue for us.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/18 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

I know lots of folks that don't use their bathroom in the TT. Some just use it for storage. Also. Not having a bathroom in the pup, is one of the things that make pup camping so much simpler, and easy.

We don't use ours when we are primitive camping with no hookups.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/18 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

I know lots of folks that don't use their bathroom in the TT. Some just use it for storage. Also. Not having a bathroom in the pup, is one of the things that make pup camping so much simpler, and easy.

We don't use ours when we are primitive camping with no hookups.

If my RV didn't have a bathroom, I would have to factor in the additional cost of a T U R P to avoid hiking to the facility twice a night
bumpy

xteacher

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tried a PUP after having had a TT. We lasted about a year. Setting up and/or breaking down in the rain nearly every time cured us quickly (then you have to set up (again) at home to unpack, and leave it up to dry out to avoid mold forming). Also, due to the canvas, it felt very humid all the time inside, even with the upgraded 15k a/c running (we live in GA and camp a lot in FL).

If you do decide to get a PUP, get a newer one that has a slide out dinette and a cassette potty. I'd skip the shower.

Beth and Joe
Adopted Rescue Pups: Maddie (maltese/westie?) and Kramer (chi/terrier?)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

pbtman

Joplin, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently had a 2015 Rockwood 27ks High-Wall pop-up. We had 2 pop-ups back in “the day” when the boys were young. Anyhow back to the most recent. The Rockwood had a king on one end and a queen on the other plus a large dinette on a slideout. It also had a hard wall shower/potty closet with full door that clipped in. It had water heater, microwave, 3-burner stove, fridge, furnace, stereo and a/c unit. Even the mattresses were heated. Oh, yeah. A complete slide-out outside kitchen. Yep! All in a pop-up. It had electric to raise the roof.
Well, now, the rest of the story. After 2 trips camping and me being 66 years old (now), I said to the wifey, “this thing’s gotta go.” What a great, well equipped pop-up and by far the nicest one we ever owned, but, it’s gotta go. We sold it and bought a new 26’ travel trailer that our 1/2 Dodge pulls like a dream (using the weight distributing hitch). Pop-ups are for the young and agile. If you truly love the canvas bed idea for the open air feel, look into the hybrids like the Rockwood Roo series.

Bob & Sandy
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn Edition 4x4
2018 Keystone Outback 250 URS travel trailer

b&rharmon

South Gate, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you asked for opinions. I wonder why that many folks who have hard sided travel trailers are checking the folding trailer forum.

If you ever enjoyed camping in a tent, you will love the pop up, open the bunk end panels and windows in the box area when there is a nice breeze; better than a tent in my opinion.

I disagree with anyone who stated in their opinion anything about "moving down or moving up". Just different. If the day comes when we change our style to a travel trailer or whatever, I will feel I am having to give up a lot.

I set ours up in 30 minutes, that is open and level and chairs outside and ready to enjoy. Used to have a beer in my hand and relaxing by then, now I am just relaxing. We keep pots and pans and sleeping bags and stuff we need in the trailer, we have a food box and an ice chest in the garage at home, we pack them at home and put them in the back of the truck. WE RARELY open the pop up before going. Check the tires, hook it up and go.

We can take a porta potty, and at one time had a small shower tent for privacy, but we rarely do. I guess to some walking 20 yards to the restroom in a campground is a hike. I don't even know how to empty the gray and black water tanks on a hard side RV. I could do it if I have to, but for those that do it is probably more trouble to stop on the way home at the dump station than a few extra minutes setting up my trailer.

My opinion only really applies to me, I don't think I am a step down I just like open air and feeling the weather good or bad. I grew up a Boy Scout and we would hike 5 miles to a place we set up camp, cook our meals outside with wood for heat and sleep in a bag on a ground cloth with the stars in view. Well now I like being up a few feet off the ground and a mattress is a luxury.

One more thing, one of our best nights (just the wife and I) was when a thunder storm came up just after going to bed. Lightning, thunder, wind, and then rain. We just snuggled up and held each other and enjoyed the event. It was special.

Thanks for listening, and enjoy your camping. Don't dwell on what others think and do, and don't get caught up by conveniences other people bring with them.

Bill DH
Renee DW
Bumper & Willie (furkids)
2002 F250 4X4 V10 W/Tow Option
2002 Coleman Seapine

'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

opinions?

Too much money.

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went back to pup after divorce and child support. 13 years of 35 cents on the dollar wages. Have a 12 foot pup with front trunk and slideout. Non - bath, non ac, And use it for boondocking to after ten years of state parks (parking lots). Keys to keep it simple is chuck box with all foodware, foldable dresser and thetford campa pottie. Elaborate setup is rig up shower tent and capture shower water. I do that for longer stays. K2500 sub rigged up with canoe loading setup and don't bring kids bikes anymore. I'll only do resort fhw if I'm solo with my girls.

2007 R-Vision Trail Sport 26-QBS
2007 Jayco 1206 Pupup
2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 Camo

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> opinions?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS