cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life above the Arctic Circle -- looks like fun to me!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
New York Times article -- lots of great photos and text from all around the Arctic

I just gotta go North. Maybe next winter, after I retire . . . . .
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
23 REPLIES 23

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Sue, that's a gorgeous photo!

I grew up in NW Colorado and recall having to go chop ice on the horse tank at -50 F (even with a tank heater). You get used to it and it does have its own special beauty. The coldest temp ever recorded in Colorado was -61 at Maybell, about 30 miles from our ranch.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
I love Yukon winters. We walk our dogs twice a day regardless of the temperature, even at -40. Just need to dress appropriately.

We also snowshoe, ski, ski-doo and take daytrips to sightsee the mountain ranges along the Haines Road and Kluane area. It's beautiful! Liard hot springs is also great at -40 !

Maybe because I was born and raised here, it is quite normal for me. Hated the rain, rain, rain, rain, rain when I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years.

Liard Hot Springs in December 2001 at -40F

We often snow shoe the north Maine woods at -20F. I am not sure I could do that at -40F. That is serious cold. Many years ago I trapped at -40 below. Very easy to chill any exposed flesh if you are not careful.

Great picture Sue.

Lakeside

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Why go someplace hot? Sweating isn't my idea of fun.

We think alike. Anything about 78F is above my comfort zone. 60F is short sleeve weather. 50F makes a campfire feel good.

Lakeside

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I love Yukon winters. We walk our dogs twice a day regardless of the temperature, even at -40. Just need to dress appropriately.

We also snowshoe, ski, ski-doo and take daytrips to sightsee the mountain ranges along the Haines Road and Kluane area. It's beautiful! Liard hot springs is also great at -40 !

Maybe because I was born and raised here, it is quite normal for me. Hated the rain, rain, rain, rain, rain when I lived on Vancouver Island for 30 years.

Liard Hot Springs in December 2001 at -40F
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love the north, in the summer mosquitoes & all, but I have no desire to spend any time there in the winter.

I'll stick with where I am. It is going to be a cold day here in Bermuda tomorrow. Temperature only in the low 60's going down to a frigid high 50's tomorrow night. No snow to plow but I do have grass to mow tomorrow.

When I see vehicles with wires & plugs hanging out of the front of them I know I am somewhere way too cold for me in the winter.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I used to work up North in Churchil Manitoba and FtMcMurray Alberta tar sands,,
Not much to do there in winter besides drinking sleeping and ocasionaly having fun with some eskimo women..lol
Its bit too cold in those places to stay outside for very long..
Takes a special person to live there full time..

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
1 a.m. at Inuvik on June 21, 1996
That's the sun - not the moon :B

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Snow squeaking as if it were beach sand is truly impressive.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Having lived in the sub-arctic (I think that's the correct term) for most of my life, there is a certain degree of enjoyment and fascination with experiencing the true Arctic. However, as can be seen by perusing Sue T's links, one needn't go north of the Circle to see spectacular winter scenery.

...and although I understand when people "don't like the cold", there's just something incredibly unique about seeing the deep cold (-40 f and colder) settle in and hear sap freeze, snow squeak, and hear/feel as much as see the Aurora.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
So, it's somewhat different than Houston?
When are we leaving?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a lot like going to Death Valley in the summer.

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Some more pretty pictures.
Have to love your enthusiasm and I would really encourage you or others to go see. But when you are talking about north of the Arctic Circle there are many valid reasons it has always been so sparsely populated. You might even meet someone anxious to visit boring Southern Cal.:D

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it is cold and dark. A great change from the endless summer of Southern Calif -- weeks of dry 75 degree weather. I'm going to the beach tomorrow -- surf's up -- but I would trade it in a minute for some time in the Arctic. Variety is the spice of life!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'd enjoy seeing the endless night for a bit. Midnight sun however, no thanks.

My brain was right confused trying to sleep during the summer solstice at a campground in Fairbanks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed