Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Air Force One - Activation Light
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Supplemental Braking Systems

 > Air Force One - Activation Light

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/27/18 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had the Air Force One installed on our new Ford F-150. Love it so far except it is difficult to see the activation light in the windshield with the rear view camera. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the light more visible without running a line up to the motorhome dash? Thank you!


Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Solo

NE Kansas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/27/18 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without running the circuit to the dash of my coach which would have been the best solution, I added this 12v Strobe to a location on my tow bar running off the same circuit powering the light in the windshield. When my brake system activates, the strobe catches my attention. Works for me and was very easy to do.


Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2005 Jeep TJ Toad with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose



pigman1

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/27/18 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran the circuit for the light forward to the RV dash to an LED I put there. No trouble seeing it regardless of sun, rain, dark, or light.


Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Geeze

SE Iowa

Full Member

Joined: 05/31/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/18 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

Just had the Air Force One installed on our new Ford F-150. Love it so far except it is difficult to see the activation light in the windshield with the rear view camera. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the light more visible without running a line up to the motorhome dash? Thank you!


Demco, the maker of the Air Force One offers a wireless Coachlink. Haven't heard much about them but might be worth investigating.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/31/18 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geeze wrote:

2chiefsRus wrote:

Just had the Air Force One installed on our new Ford F-150. Love it so far except it is difficult to see the activation light in the windshield with the rear view camera. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the light more visible without running a line up to the motorhome dash? Thank you!


Demco, the maker of the Air Force One offers a wireless Coachlink. Haven't heard much about them but might be worth investigating.


Thanks for the reply. That is what Demco recommended but at $240 it seems a little steep. We'll probably end up running a light up to the dash

pigman1

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/18 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

Geeze wrote:

2chiefsRus wrote:

Just had the Air Force One installed on our new Ford F-150. Love it so far except it is difficult to see the activation light in the windshield with the rear view camera. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the light more visible without running a line up to the motorhome dash? Thank you!


Demco, the maker of the Air Force One offers a wireless Coachlink. Haven't heard much about them but might be worth investigating.


Thanks for the reply. That is what Demco recommended but at $240 it seems a little steep. We'll probably end up running a light up to the dash
I don't know if your Monaco is pre-wired for a trailer brake, but if it is, all you need to do is run the hot tattletale line through your 7 pin connector using the trailer brake wire. You then go under the dash and find the other end of that wire, stick a 12V LED on it and run the other end to the ground bar that all dash's have somewhere under there. No real wire running needed.

older_fossil

USA (fulltiming)

Full Member

Joined: 12/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/16/18 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

I don't know if your Monaco is pre-wired for a trailer brake, but if it is, all you need to do is run the hot tattletale line through your 7 pin connector using the trailer brake wire. You then go under the dash and find the other end of that wire, stick a 12V LED on it and run the other end to the ground bar that all dash's have somewhere under there. No real wire running needed.


+1
This is exactly what we did with our AF-1 and our Tiffin Allegro Bus.


Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee


pigman1

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/18/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

older_fossil wrote:

pigman1 wrote:

I don't know if your Monaco is pre-wired for a trailer brake, but if it is, all you need to do is run the hot tattletale line through your 7 pin connector using the trailer brake wire. You then go under the dash and find the other end of that wire, stick a 12V LED on it and run the other end to the ground bar that all dash's have somewhere under there. No real wire running needed.


+1
This is exactly what we did with our AF-1 and our Tiffin Allegro Bus.
Works great, doesn't it? This is the second Bus I did it to. One additional thing I did was to make a note of my "change" and put it into the Bus paperwork that will go to the next owner if and when you ever get rid of the beast. At least that way you'll save the poor guy a few hours tracing wires trying to find out what that extra red LED on the dash is for. Actually, All my systems documentation has been scanned to a laptop file and when I traded my 2008 Bus they got a CD with everything on it as well as the original paper copies. Some of the paper copies were getting quite dog eared.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Supplemental Braking Systems

 > Air Force One - Activation Light
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS