Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help deciding and alumn vs wood frame question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Help deciding and alumn vs wood frame question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

800 lb ccc is not enough IMO. Water in the tanks weighs 8.3 lbs/gal. Are you going to trevel nearly empty? Loww ccc indicates a lighter build that could prove less durable.

Keep in mind also that the "18" is the box length. Overall length is what you look at in terms of stability with a short wheelbase tug. You should use a properly set up wd/antisway hitch like the Equal-i-zer brand or Blue Ox Sway Pro, V6, right? Keep it at 60 mph or so on the flats, and slow down on long or steep grades.

Edit: 18TO is 1200 lb ccc, not so bad after all. 22'9" overall length.

* This post was edited 01/29/18 02:19pm by rexlion *

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/18 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atleif wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

I'd be more concerned with the material used on the roof? do you know what it is?
bumpy

Here is what I found on the outdoors RV roof : Radiused Crowned Full Walk-On Roof
Exterior Grade Plywood Floor and Marine Grade Plywood Roof Substrate
Laminated Aluminum Frame Slide-Out (All Walls & Ceiling)
wolfpup : One Piece Walkable Decked Roof. EPDM Roof

Thanks for all the input everyone! Leaning towards the outdoorsrv so far [emoticon]

a rubber roof, I wouldn't buy it myself.
bumpy

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All Jayco RV's that are 8' wide have a "Magnum Truss" roof. They are all wood, and have a 3/8 plywood sheet top, covered most of the time with a TPO roof material. All 8' wide Jayco whether with aluminum side wall frame or "stick and tin", are built to be walked on.

DutchmenSport wrote:

Just a very general observation: Aluminum framed roofs, especially those that are bowed, are ok to walk on. Wood frame roof's (especially the flat ones), are not recommended to walk on. There are some exceptions, I'm sure, but seems almost all aluminum roof rafter models are walkable. Wood is not.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

All Jayco RV's that are 8' wide have a "Magnum Truss" roof. They are all wood, and have a 3/8 plywood sheet top, covered most of the time with a TPO roof material. All 8' wide Jayco whether with aluminum side wall frame or "stick and tin", are built to be walked on.

OP said that the roof is EPDM, NOT TPO
bumpy

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

However, I agree that wood trusses are not typically the reason a roof is not walkable.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Copperhead

Central Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are indeed pros and cons to each type. Wood is an insulator, whereas aluminum tube can have spaces that are not. Bat insulation can settle (if installed poorly) and block foam can be an advantage. Like was stated, aluminum vs wood regarding the roof is a non issue. Jayco's magnum truss is wood and is almost the gold standard in weight strength. But parallel arched aluminum is pretty good also. Stick and tin trailers are the best value per dollar and are very easy and cost effective to repair. Aluminum and fiberglass units cost more per foot to build and can be very expensive to repair. Fiberglass sided units have less drag when towing and thus are generally less fuel consuming compared to stick and tin units. Some of the best made high end models, primarily 5th wheel units, that are definitely cold chambered and rated have wood floors and roofs.

There really is no "perfect" trailer construction. It all depends upon the way it will be used, the amount one has to lay out to purchase, the actual materials and attention to detail, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Help deciding and alumn vs wood frame question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS