Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How Much to pay ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> How Much to pay ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
judelaurenzo25g

Downey, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]
Mich F wrote:

judelaurenzo25g wrote:

The same coach is listed on RVtrader for 54K by Mike Thompson. Link here

Actually it's not the same coach, and that's a used MH. [emoticon]

A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you plan on dealing with this dealer, also ask for 10% off parts like new hoses, any rv part sold in the rv store. if they want you to buy from them, they will say yes to that request.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/18 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope much do you really want to pay? Start there- worst case they say no. Bring along a friend who can drag you out!

Da Moose - 2001 Dutchman 31' on E450

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/18 10:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy an extended warranty unless you can study the policy document and know the chassis and factory warranty versus extended warranty periods, loopholes and exclusions, required service records, etc., usually better to set money aside for repairs and upgrades when/if needed. Carefully inspect and operate everything, before signing and get all promised fixes written into the sales contract. We had long delays getting factory problems fixed by MT's service department.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a "General" rule, I advise to hold firm at 33% off MSRP. If it doesn't work and they sell the rig to someone else, they can always make another one, maybe specifically for you.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ducksquasher

Unfortunately SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question...when we say 33% off is that what they have already marked it down or the original "MSRP"?

As an example, I am looking at a Class C that has an MSRP of $112,000 and they have it on sale for $89,000. 33% off MSRP would be $75,000...Is 33% off of the MSRP or "on sale" asking price?

Thanks!

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I research my vehicle knowing specifically what I want then start getting prices from different dealers. Walking into a dealership and pulling numbers out of thin air makes you look like a fool. Be informed, have your notes with you and offer a deal.Compare dealer to dealer. If the salesman lips are moving he's lying.. Shop at the end of the month, avoid 4to5K extended warranties. 72% of extended warranties are never used, the ones for RV's have so many exclusions that I consider them a scam, sure just a few bucks more each month. Take that money and self insure your repairs, mobile RV guys are a consideration.
There are some who feel spending 5k on a warranty gives them piece of mind. Weird. Be informed, the 33% number, where does that come from, Ill bet I could buy for better than that. I flew to Minnesota from CA to buy a used rig, I couldn't find what I wanted at the price locally. Very happy with my C .I love buying new vehicles. Oh yeah, take your time........they will make more.....

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cash don't mean **** anymore. They have to claim it anyway doing them no good.

Dennis Hoppert

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer borrows money through what's called "floor plan financing" in order to keep the inventory on their lots.

Floor plan financing is a type of short-term loan that is paid off in 30 to 90 days, the time it normally takes to sell a car.

A typical new car costs a dealer about $5 to $10 in interest per day. So if a car sits on the lot for 30 days, the dealer will be charged $150 - $300 in interest payments.

This is why dealers want to sell cars as quickly as possible - to reduce their financing costs and increase profits.

Most manufacturers reimburse these finance costs through what is called "dealer holdback". This is usually 2 - 3% of the invoice price of the vehicle.

On a typical $28,000 car, a 2% holdback would amount to around $550. If the dealer sells this car in 30 days and incurs financing costs of $300, then they will make a profit of $250 on the holdback.

If a car has been sitting on the lot for a long time, the financing costs will eat up all the potential profit and the dealer may have to sell the car at a loss.

You can usually get the best deals on cars that have been sitting on the lot a long time since dealers are anxious to get rid of them and cut their losses.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ducksquasher wrote:

Question...when we say 33% off is that what they have already marked it down or the original "MSRP"?

As an example, I am looking at a Class C that has an MSRP of $112,000 and they have it on sale for $89,000. 33% off MSRP would be $75,000...Is 33% off of the MSRP or "on sale" asking price?

Thanks!
Your stead-fast offer should be $74,000. You need to say "$74,000 (not $75k) and I will buy that rig right now" and then follow through and buy-it-now if he gives it to you at that price. Don't make an offer that you don't intend on following through on. Your offer must be a serious one with an immediate sale if they agree to it. So know up front your financial situation, what you can afford, etc. If they don't meet it, say that you are internet shopping and are confident you will find the right rig at the right price. Then thank him for his time, give him your phone number and say "call me if you change your mind. If I didn't buy one from elsewhere, I will buy yours". Then leave and go internet shopping.

Keep in-mind the 33% rule is with big brand names like Coachman who make thousands of rigs of various sorts in a given year with vast dealer networks around the country. Companies like Coach House, Lazy Daze, and Phoenix Cruiser who make one or two coaches per week and often selling factory direct, it goes from a frigging game to a negotiating process with a lot more "give" on your part.

* This post was edited 01/31/18 03:05pm by ron.dittmer *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> How Much to pay ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS