Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Winter Capable Class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

 > Winter Capable Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/18 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Todd,

Look into a magnetic block heater. I have one that I can use on my generator--or if need be on the propane tank. I think it is about 300 watts.

There are inexpensive 120 volt heating pads at Walmart which do not have an auto shut off feature. They draw about 50 watts. Mine doubles as a warmer for the bed.


Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/31/18 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Don, We just bought a bunch of battery warmers ,for the batteries in our fiver. When looking at them, I thought they might be great on a propane bottle... but I like the idea of the magnetic block heater. I see one in our future! ?? ??. Thanks again


Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl


ksg5000

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2008

View Profile



Posted: 01/31/18 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get cold just reading a thread like this. Must have been all those years growing up in S Calif.


Kevin

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/18 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Todd,

My experiences with battery blankets have not been good. Each and every time, battery life was reduced. How ever, that information is from the 1990's. Things may have changed.

Of course if the bank is LI based heaters are needed. I just found out the GM Bolt has heaters for its battery pack.


memtb wrote:

Thanks Don, We just bought a bunch of battery warmers ,for the batteries in our fiver. When looking at them, I thought they might be great on a propane bottle... but I like the idea of the magnetic block heater. I see one in our future! ?? ??. Thanks again


memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/31/18 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Don, We are staying away from the LI based batteries for one primary reason....cold service! Cost....also played into the decision! ?? We already purchased six(6), I really hope that my experience is not the same as yours....I’d hate to “shorten” the life of six (6) batteries! ??

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/31/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

I get cold just reading a thread like this. Must have been all those years growing up in S Calif.


It’s actually a lot easier than you might think....unless the wind is blowing! [emoticon] There is a lot to see/do/experience in the winter....whether rv’ing or not. Just have to dress for conditions and have the right mindset!

ksg5000

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2008

View Profile



Posted: 01/31/18 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

ksg5000 wrote:

I get cold just reading a thread like this. Must have been all those years growing up in S Calif.


It’s actually a lot easier than you might think....unless the wind is blowing! [emoticon] There is a lot to see/do/experience in the winter....whether rv’ing or not. Just have to dress for conditions and have the right mindset!


I love the winters in Wyoming/Montana , 15 degree weather in Rock Springs seemed warmed than 35 in Portland Oregon. Unfortunately my rig isn't capable of handling sustained weather below 32 - something I would fix if someone gave me winning lottery ticket.

memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/31/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

memtb wrote:

ksg5000 wrote:

I get cold just reading a thread like this. Must have been all those years growing up in S Calif.


It’s actually a lot easier than you might think....unless the wind is blowing! [emoticon] There is a lot to see/do/experience in the winter....whether rv’ing or not. Just have to dress for conditions and have the right mindset!


I love the winters in Wyoming/Montana , 15 degree weather in Rock Springs seemed warmed than 35 in Portland Oregon. Unfortunately my rig isn't capable of handling sustained weather below 32 - something I would fix if someone gave me winning lottery ticket.


“IF” you’re willing to buy used....my wife found a bunch listed on RVT and RVTrader yesterday. I have “no” idea of their condition....but the prices seemed pretty good, on most of them. Some looked ( of course pictures can lie) pretty good in the photos. As Teton’s had wood framed walls.... your primary concern would be a roof leak getting into side-wall. We bought our ‘04, four years ago (our 4th Teton), and love it! It is “pretty much” our “bucket list” of everything we wanted in a 5er.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/31/18 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Why did you feel you needed battery warmers?

memtb wrote:

Hi Don, We already purchased six(6), I really hope that my experience is not the same as yours....I’d hate to “shorten” the life of six (6) batteries! ??


memtb

Wyoming

Senior Member

Joined: 10/21/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/31/18 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Don,
With the knowledge that batteries (lead acid) lose a considerable % of power when quite cold, and our batteries, though getting a little old, seemed to be loosing power faster than I thought they should....thought that perhaps having them warm(er) may help. As they were pretty inexpensive....thought that they may help on those long, cold, boondocking nights. Though with the wattage consumption... it may be counter-productive! Your thoughts!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

 > Winter Capable Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS