Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Winter Capable Class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

> Winter Capable Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Todd,

Heating the battery bank helps. But the watts consumed doing so reduces the energy that can be used more than the gains.

If you could get the jars up to 25 C (77 f), they would offer full power. Probably the only way to do so would be to run a generator.

[image]

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/18 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morn’ing Don,
Thanks for the graph. Those are pretty close to the members I had remembered. I was concerned that it may require more watts than I potentially gain. Though bringing from approximately-20 F to 32 F would effectively double available battery capacity, but not 100%. To try and calculate the wattage to elevate the temperatures that much, is far “above my pay grade”! [emoticon] I had resorted to the SWAG (scientific wild a$$ guess) formula. So, having already making the purchase, I’m down to experimenting.
Thanks again for all of the information and support!

Also....we have plans to set-up ours similarly. I don’t think that I can get the number of watts that you have ( insufficient room). But, I’ll keep measuring and researching available quality panels. Would love to do it with one panel....definitely “not” possible! I will be making the panel(s) tilt adjustable (like our 5er). I’m getting lazy.... adjusting “only” one reduces the work required!

* This post was edited 02/01/18 07:10am by memtb *

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/18 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much wattage you'd need would depend a lot on how well you insulate around the batteries. With sufficient insulation, it would not take much power--possibly even none, if the DC electric usage were sufficient--to keep them warm.

Perhaps enclosing the batteries in a cheap cooler would be a decent start. AGM batteries would be an advantage for doing this as they have much less required in the way of ventilation etc.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/18 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

How much wattage you'd need would depend a lot on how well you insulate around the batteries. With sufficient insulation, it would not take much power--possibly even none, if the DC electric usage were sufficient--to keep them warm.

Perhaps enclosing the batteries in a cheap cooler would be a decent start. AGM batteries would be an advantage for doing this as they have much less required in the way of ventilation etc.

Thanks Drew, Certainly something to consider and easy to accomplish. I had actually thought about the heat generation during use, but.....got fixated on the “heat pads. Probably should have done the insulation first, then.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Super C

> Winter Capable Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS