cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning dirt off cured Proflex

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago, I sealed all my TT's side seams, window edges, and side vent opening edgess with Proflex RV clear. It sealed great, but attracted dust and dirt to the point that a lot of areas are now almost black.

Today I accidentally discovered that a rag moistened with kerosene will take the dirt off easily. I hadn't thought of trying to clean the dirty areas, but the dirt came off so easily I might do it if I didn't think I was damaging the seal.

Has anyone used a solvent like kerosene or paint thinner to clean cured Proflex? I did notice that the cleaned area is still tacky a few hours after I wiped it, so I'm thinking maybe the kerosene isn't such a good idea. The Proflex website is silent on the issue.
2005 Rockwood 2104
2011 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4WD
Equalizer
Prodigy
9 REPLIES 9

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
webwrangler wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
Have you tried LA Awesome yet?

Just don't let it sit too long. 30 secs is a long time for it and not all colors are colorfast, but anything that smears (on ours it is the blue on the graphics) can be wiped off with a clean rag and when it dries it is stuck back to the graphic again ๐Ÿ˜‰

Some petroleum products can have a number of ill-effects on things like rubber, seals, sealants, paint, etc.

Never even heard of it...I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Old thread, I know, but I finally tried LA Awesome. That stuff lives up to its name...it's awesome! Works better than any of the other stuff, including white gas, kerosene, and rubbing alcohol.
2005 Rockwood 2104
Equalizer
Prodigy

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Acetone works very well on both old and new Proflex. Haven't seen any negatives on the gel coat, but watch out for any "painted" stuff!! Nail polish remover (acetone!!) works just as well and smells nice!!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
White gas (camping gas) can be used to soften Proflex when trying to remove it. If other solvents do nothing, maybe try a little white gas. Our factory original clear caulking has discolored everywhere right through it plus some of it has a white-ish coating on it (not black anywhere). Not sure if it's Proflex or something else. I can't clean if off as it's not surface dirt. I did a little re-caulking with new clear Proflex a couple of seasons ago and it has stayed clear in comparison. Removing existing caulking is not fun if you need to...

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
I use Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (first aid kind) on my ProFlex caulk to clean it, a quick wipe just like new.

I happen to have some rubbing alcohol around, so I'm going to try that first. Thanks!
2005 Rockwood 2104
Equalizer
Prodigy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jim-Linda wrote:
Thats why we changed all of our caulk to black, no visable dirt.

Proflex clear turns black whenever water gets underneath it and therefore makes it easy to spot, unlike with black.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I use Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (first aid kind) on my ProFlex caulk to clean it, a quick wipe just like new.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Thats why we changed all of our caulk to black, no visable dirt.

webwrangler
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:

Just don't let it sit too long. 30 secs is a long time for it and not all colors are colorfast, but anything that smears (on ours it is the blue on the graphics) can be wiped off with a clean rag and when it dries it is stuck back to the graphic again ๐Ÿ˜‰

Some petroleum products can have a number of ill-effects on things like rubber, seals, sealants, paint, etc.

Never even heard of it...I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!
2005 Rockwood 2104
Equalizer
Prodigy

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer