Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Portable outdoor containment.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Portable outdoor containment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
in5r

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have typically always camped with our dogs of which were of the lab size. Well we have recently become the proud parents I guess you could say of a Yorkie. The past I have seen several other campers using the portable playpen type setup on their campsites. Is there one brand/style that works better than the other? I would figure plastic would be beneficial from a rust free view. Just looking to see if there is anything favored outthere

* This post was edited 01/31/18 08:38am by in5r *

2012 Ford F-250 6.2 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't leashes work for small dogs? I've seen lots of small dogs in pens, just wondering.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

LJAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one at Camping World on sale for ~$30 or so. It's wire has 8 panels X 30" tall and works well for my dachshunds.

The advantage to the pen over the leash or lead is that the dogs tend to get the lead wrapped around chair legs, trees etc. as they wander around. I also have 25' leads for my dogs but it doesn't take long before they end up with about a foot left. And the pens work well for small dogs but a pen that a larger dog can't jump out of would start to get a bit cumbersome to carry around.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

neschultz

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’ve used both plastic and metal fences but prefer this one. Much easier to put up and take down and takes very little space to store. Pet pen

Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2015 RAM 1500 TV (Our sons) & 2017 Winnebago Minnie 2401RG TT

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used the 30" tall X-pens for the last 30+ year's for our Collies at first then to our smaller breed's later. We recently adopted a jumper(wire hair dachshund) so the 30" tall aren't working any longer...getting a couple of 40" ones soon. Also, we always wrap our pens with a solid fabric so that our "kids" can't see every single other doggie walk by....keeps the barking down!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier's Rosie and Elvis.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie- Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought 2 of the metal pens, and hook them together for or 4 camping buddies (Chihuahuas) They love the pens and as stated prior to that they would get the leads tangled up on everything. A large dog would probably have to be trained to stay inside the pen. There are now above ground containment systems available which are portable and seem to work really great the dogs wears a collar, my neighbor has two Labs that stay inside his front yard with no problem. I am not sure where they are available but a little research will probably yield results here is wally world answer https://www.walmart.com/ip/iMeshbean-Wireless-1-Dog-Fence-No-Wire-Waterproof-Pet-Containment-System-Rechargeable-US/698279292
Good Luck and happy camping

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've have one like LJAZ (above) described for our small breed dogs. We've had it for over 20 years, inside and outside. It's never rusted. I think we originally purchased it from PetSmart.

However, in time, "all" our dogs end up on our laps when outside. They also have their own camping chairs, but still end up on our laps. We found attached leashes (so they won't bolt very far) and our laps make the best combination. Funny ... ALL our dogs in 30 plus years of camping, are not happy until they are on our laps. (if only our own kids were THAT affectionate?)

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

The new Montana is now officially, "The Love Shack 2"

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/18 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel with 3 dogs. Two of them are Corgis and they are part wolverine. One of them gets in trouble with big dogs so we keep her in an X pen made out of steel for her own protection. The other two get staked out on long ropes. They like being outdoors and love walks and running around and swimming. I cannot relate to anyone that boards their dogs for RV and camping trips.

bobcouch

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought one of those portable steel pens years ago, but only used it once.
On the first stop of the first trip, I set up the pen - didn't stake it down - dropped our miniature dachshunds inside and went to finish setting up the trailer.
Just a few seconds later, I was cranking up a leveler on the far side of the trailer when Dusty (our smallest doxie) showed up. She had pulled the fence until one corner went from 90 degrees down to about 35, then climbed right up and over!

Bob and Honey Couch
Miniature dachshunds Tinker and Dusty
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/18 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobcouch wrote:

...our miniature dachshunds...

You post made me laugh. We have 2 doxies now. We acquired my daughter's 10 year old female just a few months ago. She's really adapted to our lifestyle. Our's original is a male, 6 years old and lovable as can be ... but wow! do they get into mischief!!!! Turn your head and .... wham! They're into something! Adding the second one, and they became a lean, mean, running machine duo, plotting and conniving together just to see how fast they can get one over on us. No pens for this duo now. The two together will figure out how to knock it over and then come running to us.

Still, you've got to really love those little guys, don't you!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Portable outdoor containment.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS