Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Just wondering...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Just wondering...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smitty77 wrote:

This is not meant to be funny, or to make fun of anyone[emoticon]!

We have a group of friends that we RV'd with for about 12 years, 6 rigs between us. (And oddly, now are lucky to get even three of us together now a days - life has pulled us in different directions. But all still good friends.).

We all had Class A's, from ours then the smallest Bounder T-28 up to one 36' DP, and different measurements in between.

We met after thanksgiving for lunch, and as we were perhaps having one (or two, or three) more beers after the meal. All caught up on what we were now driving, and why.

Three couples, us included, go out for longer multi month trips at a time. Between us we have:
-40' Country Coach
-42' Dutch Star
-45' Travel Supreme

The other three couples, have moved to Class C's (Lazy Daze, Big Foot, Ticonderoga. 26' - 31' in lengths, and two with slides.). Two of these couples also go out for longer trips, of 2-3 months at a time. One uses theirs for mostly local get aways, as they're enjoying the early phase of grandkids. With a few longer two-three weeks trips per year too.

The wife of the Lazy Daze, looked around the table at all of us. She asked if we'd give her minute to recap an observation. What she had observed is:
-The couples with either taller and or wider(-[emoticon]!) individuals, all had the larger DP's
-The couples with the Class C's, were all shorter and thinner
-None of the couples with the Class C's, traveled with pets
-All of he couples with the DP's, traveled with at least one pet, with one couple having a fleet of three small dogs

=========

So why share this info? Well, I concluded that perhaps the comfort level of moving from a Class A to a Class C or smaller based Sprinter based Class B or Super B - may all depend upon how bit the people sharing the space, and as pointed out by one husband, being comfortable in the chairs of a Class C (Not the driving, but for example the Lazy Daze had two club chairs, that after a long period of sitting, would be perhaps uncomfortable for a taller person.).

One last couple to share, not of this group. Just bought a Winnebago Vista to go have some fun. Wife is 5'-1", husband is 6'-4" and of 'big bone' stature. He sleeps in the non walk around bed, she sleeps on the scissor couch. They just completed a three week trip for the holidays. And she loved it, and he said he's afraid they made a mistake....

Justs info sharing, and of course - differences of opinion is what it's all about[emoticon]!
Smitty
A different theory - A Goldfish grows to the size of his tank - [emoticon]

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smitty77,

Excellent post with some good observations.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (21-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (16), 2 boys (17 & 14). Two Chinook dogs, 14 & 12.
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 6'4"/200 lbs and exit a RV and cars as soon as I get in when my head is close to the ceiling. I'd say the longer you stay in one spot, the longer the RV. I will not grow to the size of my 42' RV.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

My buyers remorse was buying a 36' DP because of post's on here that 36' was the MAX for SP, NP, USFS CGs. As you can see below it cost $$$$ to undo that mistake and NO WAY am I going backwards. Recently I looked at newer 45' but decided going from a good know to something else was not worth it.

OP, what were you thinking?
I obviously didn't put sufficient 'thought' into that decision. The driving (no pun intended) motivation was that my wife did not want to drive the larger A and thought she'd have no problem driving a smaller class C with the front looking like a pick up truck or van. I'm trying now to decide whether to keep the 2017 class C (and money in my pocket) or get rid of it and go back to a class A.

2005 Winnebago Itasca (Ford)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/18 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

My buyers remorse was buying a 36' DP because of post's on here that 36' was the MAX for SP, NP, USFS CGs. As you can see below it cost $$$$ to undo that mistake and NO WAY am I going backwards. Recently I looked at newer 45' but decided going from a good know to something else was not worth it.

I obviously didn't put sufficient 'thought' into that decision. The driving (no pun intended) motivation was that my wife did not want to drive the larger A and thought she'd have no problem driving a smaller class C with the front looking like a pick up truck or van. I'm trying now to decide whether to keep the 2017 class C (and money in my pocket) or get rid of it and go back to a class A.

I've decided and, in fact, will be picking up a new 2017 35' Class A Winnebago tomorrow 2/10.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

goufgators wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

I've decided and, in fact, will be picking up a new 2017 35' Class A Winnebago tomorrow 2/10.
Congratulations! Be sure to visit the winnebagoind resource page for tons of info and 3D drawings of that Winnebago.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goufgators wrote:

goufgators wrote:

Ivylog wrote:

She can easily drive your new one. Many women do so... bigger than that. She'll love it!

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife and I discussed this and research it and it didn’t work out for us do to our Parrot! We’ve owned a 31’ Class C we needed more room to accommodate a large bird cage for are Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot! So we bought a new 35’ Winnebago Class A in 2004. After looking at down sizing this past year we can’t fit the bird cage in a smaller Class C! I’m not about to get rid of the Parrot for my own convenience so I’m going to stand pat. We also have two dogs a Red Standard Poodle and a Westie! My Winnebago is almost paid for so I might move up in length. My wife likes the Tiffin Phaeton!

NCC-1701

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/18 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have had many kinds of units from several towables, to Class C, and Class A gas. In 2001 we bought a 40' DP and just loved it, but foolishly sold it and went to a large 5th wheel. Well that lasted for two years and we really missed the convenience of motorized. So we went to a 32' gas thinking that would do it. While we kept it quite a few years, it was never "comfortable" to us. We have since gone back to a 40' DP and I cannot see going back.

That was just us...I know many downsize and it works perfectly for them. I guess that's why there are so many kinds of units out there to choose from!

"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

GHOST1750

THE GOLDEN STATE My taxes help keep it that way!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now my side of the story. I started out with a 35 ft. class A gas and after a year went to a 39 ft. pusher. Have had numerous problems with the diesel. We were scheduled for two FMCA rally's a year apart. last year we stayed in hotels in the Palm Springs area because our pusher was in the shop, cost a fortune. This year it was in the shop again and I thought we needed to go with a class C. We rented one to go to the rally and after a week in he class C we ended up trading the 39ft. pusher for a 39 ft. gas rig. We just felt too cramped in the class C with two small dogs.

Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Just wondering...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS