Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Progressive Insurance questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Progressive Insurance questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I do every year, I check with numerous insurance companies to get competitive quotes. I have a very good driving record with zero claims.
As a point of reference, I have never found any company that could beat my existing company in the last 5 years. Recent quotes from the following companies are similar to what I get every year.
State Farm, +$515 over my existing
AARP/Hartford, +$478
Travelers, +$450
Geico, +$505
Nationwide, +$550

And then I get this quote from Progressive that is $471 LESS than my existing policy for a year, even tho they only write 6 month policies.
I have never been with Progressive and this is the first year that they have even been competitive.
Has anyone had experience with Progressive "low-balling" a quote to get the new policy and then jacking up the price next year, even without a claim.

Expyinflight

Mesa, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please share with the audience who your 'existing company' is.
We could all use a break on our insurance rates.

I would scrutinize Progressive's significantly lower rate very carefully. Be very sure it is 'apples to apples' comparison, as to the different aspects of the coverage.

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

gb76087

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had Progressive in the past. Price was right for a couple of years, then got out of line. Currently getting a good rate from Hartford.

2007 Fleeteood TERRA LX 34N
F53, 362hp V10

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've been with progressive, for at least ten years, maybe longer
it has gone up very little, has actually gone down a couple off times from the previous year

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been with Progressive since 2011. Yearly police rate has been more or less static only moving a few dollars. Never had a claim which is were the good and bad of any insurance company will come out.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui and Hanna waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

mikebreeze

Manassas, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had progressive on my rig since I bought it. they have been consistant in their pricing. I got a reduction this year by taking the AARP Driver Course and asking Progressive how else that I could reduce my rate. They still had my RV value the same as when I bought it 6 years ago. When I told them what my rig is worth now, they changed the policy and reduced my rate further.

It is my opinion that insurance is a scam and a game. However, you have to have it and, if you have a catastrophic event of some sort, you are glad that you do have it.

2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

tinstartrvlr

Currently AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is exactly what they did to me. I left Geico to take advantage of the agreed upon replacement value option. They gave me a great rate, then raised it 10 percent every 6 mos for the next 1.5 years. It has settled down now, so I haven't had an excuse to leave them, but if they start doing it again, I'll start looking again.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My current insurance company is Auto-Owner's Insurance. They only write insurance in 26 different States but they do cover RV's and offer a significant discount.
My personal insurance rating is X868, which is a combination of my driving record, claim history, credit rating, and a few other things that insurance companies use when they determine your rate.
Progressive say that they offer an additional discount if I would combine my auto policy with their homeowner's insurance. The only problem with that is that Progressive will not write homeowner's insurance for my area of Florida.
What I found interesting is that when I went to the different websites to get insurance quotes, as soon as I started entering my information, I found out that ALL of the companies already had the basics, like my address, the vehicle information, driver information, etc. This appears to show that they all share information about their policy holders or your information is available for all insurance companies to see.
Perhaps with the sharing of info, Progressive was just trying to get a policy holder that might not cost them anything in claims. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 02/02/18 10:07am by rgatijnet1 *

tinstartrvlr

Currently AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/18 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rgatijnet you are correct. There is a central insurance database with everything about your driving record, claims, etc that they all access.

I wonder just how accurate it is, and how long they keep the info or if it gets purged after a certain amount of time. Don't need a claim from 10 years ago for a windshield giving them justification to quote a higher rate.

Gotta make money. It's what they do.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/18 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, we have both RV and auto with Progressive and are very happy. The only claim on the MH was a windshield replacement which was free. Several claims on auto that were handled quickly and to everyone's satisfaction. Other insurance companies have called us trying to get us to insure with them, but are not even close to what we pay now, We have full coverage on both cars and low deductible, and for 6 months, not the 3 that most companies were quoting.

Wildmanbaker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Progressive Insurance questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS