Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ready to buy a hybrid but which one and how?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Ready to buy a hybrid but which one and how?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 01:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EDITED to slope of driveway - I actually have no idea what the slope is because I think I threw out the paper with the calculations! Oops! I think 21 degrees might be right.

Hello, I posted a couple times this past summer when we were trying to figure out tow vehicles... I’m on my 3rd iteration and going slow, learning before buying. But we are eager to camp this spring! I wonder if y’all would help me with some questions?

Right now we have our 07 expedition with the hd tow package. I know payload is going to be my main challenge. Dh and I have 8 kids but realistically we’re planning to camp with the four youngest who are currently 4 to 11. The oldest are teens and beyond. They are planning to travel separate and tent camp if they join us.

So a couple posts ago it was recommended that we look at hybrids. I’m finally there and realize this the the way we have to go to get the beds we need. I’ve narrowed it down to a few Rockwood roos and the Jayco x23b. So how does one purchase without any dealers in my part of the state carrying them? We probably prefer a 2-3 yo one but would buy new if it made the most sense. We’ve talked about driving to one of the internet sellers. I’m not sure how to go about this process! Without paying msrp.

I also like the Jayco x254 but I think it’s too much camper for us to get in the driveway. Which brings me to my next question. How to get it up a driveway with a 21 degree incline? I don’t know anyone with a tt to test it. Yes I will look for cheap offsite parking but for dh this is a dealbreaker - he only wants to park it at home if we do this. If we can’t park at home he’ll buy a pop up and I’ll stay home. [emoticon]

I read about flipping the axles and larger diameter tires. Does anyone know which hybrids have the most clearance? And are there other hybrids or tt you’d recommend I look at?

We’re so close to doing this! But the fear of the unknown is stopping me.
I would appreciate any advice!

* This post was last edited 02/03/18 08:21am by bernercamper *   View edit history

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 02:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bernercamper wrote:

So a couple posts ago it was recommended that we look at hybrids. I’m finally there and realize this the the way we have to go to get the beds we need. I’ve narrowed it down to a few Rockwood roos and the Jayco x23b. So how does one purchase without any dealers in my part of the state carrying them? We probably prefer a 2-3 yo one but would buy new if it made the most sense. We’ve talked about driving to one of the internet sellers. I’m not sure how to go about this process! Without paying msrp.

first, the Roo has a twin brand, the Shamrock, though i find it hard to believe that are no Roo, Shamrock or Jayco dealer in Georgia.

second, you should get quotes from RVW and RV Direct. RVW has some of the best prices on the Roo, while RV Direct has some of the best prices on Roo, Shamrock and Jayco hybrids. use those quotes to shop around.

third, are you sure you want a hybrid, they aren't for everyone. most hybrid owners are former popup owners. they love the canvas but wanted more amenities. so they understand the pros and cons of hybrids.

I read about flipping the axles and larger diameter tires. Does anyone know which hybrids have the most clearance? And are there other hybrids or tt you’d recommend I look at?

i know the Roo/Shamrock hybrids have torqflex axles, which can't be flipped. you can have spacers installed to raise the frame. don't know about Jaycos but suspect they have the same type of axles.

a 3 bed hybrid does make perfect sense for a family of 6 but if you've never owned a popup, the canvas tent ends may not be your cup of tea.
we owned our Roo for 10 years and loved it. but we had previously owned two popups.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

chrispitude

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco now has an X23E three-bed hybrid, which is a roomier successor to the very popular X23F:

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2018-jay-feather/x23e/

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bernercamper wrote:

Right now we have our 07 expedition with the hd tow package. I know payload is going to be my main challenge.

to go to get the beds we need. I’ve narrowed it down to a few Rockwood roos and the Jayco x23b.

Personally I do not get the "beds we need", and then mention of the X23B which is a two bunk hybrid? Also with the X23B to use the front bunk you have to crawl over the dinette. I would assume you would be better off with the X23E or X23F. The 23F may still be able to be found on lots as its discontinued. As far as your TV be wary of the published weights, especially in regards to hitch weights. With either the Roo's or the Jayco you're looking at a realistic hitch weight of approaching 900 lbs minimum

bernercamper wrote:

So how does one purchase without any dealers in my part of the state carrying them? We probably prefer a 2-3 yo one but would buy new if it made the most sense. We’ve talked about driving to one of the internet sellers. I’m not sure how to go about this process! Without paying msrp.

With either the ROO/Flagstaff 233S or the Jayco. In real numbers without muddying it up with trades, taxes and fees, if you pay more than $20/21K with all options you left money on the table.
Getting pricing to use from RVW or RVOne to use in negotiations is one thing, actually buying from them is another. RVone completely disappears after the sale, and RVW pricing comes with caveats such as you must use their financing to get the quoted price. I know the Campers Inn locations in GA do not carry the Roo Hybrids. They're hard to deal with regardless, they basically suck.

I would look at Keystone Mega RV Center in Greencastle PA, probably 650 miles from you. They're a great dealer and have great pricing on the Flagstaff Shamrocks. They will beat or match RVW.

bernercamper wrote:

Which brings me to my next question. How to get it up a driveway with a 21 degree incline? I don’t know anyone with a tt to test it.

I don't see a transition to a 21 degree slope a huge issue with either, at least nothing that can't be overcome by using a ball mount with the lowest drop possible without scraping when putting it in the driveway, and maybe a plank or two at the transition. I think your worrying over nothing here.

The Jayco axles are already slung under the axles. The Roo has Dexter Torflex #10's and Dexter makes a lift bracket that will increase ride height 2.63". Its not recommended though becuase on the Roo's the axles are already mounted with 3" high profile brackets. You could always have a shop make alterations but that comes with a whole host of other issues it creates that I won't get into.

I believe you'll run into clearance issues going to larger tires on the Jayco, and know you will on a Roo. The clearance between tires on a Roo is about 1-1/2".

pbtman

Joplin, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I knew how to post pic on here that don’t automatically flip upside down, but I live on a hillside. I park my trailer next to my shop which is an even steeper grade and I have to miss a power pole. I usually turn around in my front yard (I live in the country and and about an acre front yard). Anyhow, I put my 1500 Dodge Ram in 4-low to back it up the hill. Oh, yeah. I also disconnect my hitch bars before I back up. It’s not bad, just inconvenient.
Now as far as hybrids. That was my 1st choice as we’ve had 3 pop-ups. I’m 66, my wife’s 55 and neither of us wanted to do anything more with canvas bedrooms, but, we like the room that a hybrid gives you when folded out. The beds aren’t in there taking up floor space. I really like the Roo’s construction and that would have been my choice. However, we camp a lot with the grandkids. Another reason not to have cloth or screen or zippers which fascinate little minds. Also not to mention the lack of insulation and the constant battle with condensation like we had with the pop-ups.
All this being said. We just purchased a 2018 Keystone Outback 250urs. It has bunk beds up front and a king size bedroom (rv king) that powered slides out the back of the trailer. The trailer’s dry weight is 5300#. My 1/2 tows it like a dream.

Bob & Sandy
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn Edition 4x4
2018 Keystone Outback 250 URS travel trailer

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I mean that - I honestly need to bounce ideas off people and this helps a ton. Let me respond to all the comments in one post:

DH camped in popups for years and doesn't mind them a bit. I have to have my own bed and toilet and a kitchenette wouldn't hurt. I've tent camped for years when young and it was fine. Didn't love it and I've developed some health problems so I think being more self-contained in a TT makes more sense now. I kind of worry a little about the condensation issues and noisy neighbors with a hybrid but if it's better than a tent I'll deal with it.

Jayco - I should have mentioned the 3-bed Jaycos as well. DH has some fears about our driveway - people who don't camp have said "how're you going to get a camper up that?" So we thought the shorter the camper, the better chance of not bottoming out if that makes sense. I looked at floorplans and videos and figured we could make a 2-bed hybrid work to save a couple feet in length. Wed just have to have 2 kids on the dinette every night.

That hitch weight mentioned above scares me. I'm trying to understand all the numbers and I've come a little way - I'm not looking at 9000 pound trailers ha ha! But yeah to get a smaller hitch weight and be able to sleep everyone - idk how to do that.

The big internet sellers - that is totally uncharted territory for us so thank you for the warnings and recommendations. Also the prices we should be budgeting on. DH wanted older but I think I'm convincing him that hybrids seem almost "disposable" with a 10-year lifespan and more maintenance issues than other types of trailers so it doesn't seem like it makes sense to buy an old one with an uncertain past. I will definitely check out the seller in Pennsylvania.

The technical aspects of increasing clearance - that's good to know. I just figured as long as bottoming out is an unknown, the higher the better? But we'd feel better not doing modifications.

And I will go read up on the Keystone Outback - we are closing in on 50 and I've got RA so the easier the better in my book. We went to an RV show in Atlanta and what a disappointment. It was mostly giant motorhomes. There was one hybrid an two popups. And one other TT that interested me - an Aerolite with THREE double bunks and a separate queen size bed in the front. But I've never heard of Aerolite or Keystone really for that matter. I need to "buy my second trailer first" as y'all say and with 2 boys and 2 girls I'm trying to picture how they're going to need to sleep as teens. But the Outback 250urs gives me encouragement to check out the shorter bunkhouse trailers wrt my driveway.

We've only got 2wd so we wondered if we would need to pull the trailer up forward then unhitch and turn the expedition around in the yard! I've read about transmissions overheating in reverse but out driveway is really short. Like 40 feet long maybe? I figured towing up then later backing down could be easier on us and the transmission.

UPDATE! I just asked DH and he can't find the calculations... and he did it last year so I'm not 100% sure if the driveway is 21 degrees or 21%. Probably whichever is steeper!

* This post was edited 02/03/18 08:18am by bernercamper *

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bernercamper wrote:

UPDATE! I just asked DH and he corrected me! Our driveway is NOT 21 degrees, it's a 21% slope! Yikes. Sorry I got that totally wrong. So if you are still reading and know, let me know what you think!

Hold on a second. A 21% is not as steep as a 21 degree slope. A 21% slope, 21 feet of rise per 100' is a little less than 12 degrees.

A 21 degree is almost a 5/12 pitch on a roof. 21 degrees in terms of grade is somewhere around a 39.7% slope.

I'm cornfused.

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ralph Cramden wrote:

bernercamper wrote:

UPDATE! I just asked DH and he corrected me! Our driveway is NOT 21 degrees, it's a 21% slope! Yikes. Sorry I got that totally wrong. So if you are still reading and know, let me know what you think!

Hold on a second. A 21% is not as steep as a 21 degree slope. A 21% slope, 21 feet of rise per 100' is a little less than 12 degrees.

A 21 degree is almost a 5/12 pitch on a roof. 21 degrees in terms of grade is somewhere around a 39.7% slope.

I'm cornfused.

AACK me too. I've forgotten all my math! It must be the 21 degree slope. I ought to just take a photo and upload it.

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more question before I go get a photo of the driveway - if we bought in Pennsylvania, how do we get warranty work in Georgia? Can we go anywhere? And if the local dealers don't work with Roo then what?

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I’d take a good look at the Rockwood Roo 183. Manageable size and 3 separate double beds to sleep 6 people without converting the dinette, and without having to climb over it.
[image]

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 69,000 miles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Ready to buy a hybrid but which one and how?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS