Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ready to buy a hybrid but which one and how?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Ready to buy a hybrid but which one and how?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you purchase used, there won't be any warranty work. Most warrantys are good for one year, maybe two. Usually, most warranty work and major stuff is done in the first year or so.

We have purchased 4 out of 5 of our RVs at least 300 miles from home. Our first popup, we purchased from friends when they upgraded to a motorhome. Yeah, from a popup to a motorhome. We went popup, hybrid, TT bunkhouse, fifth wheel bunkhouse and now another fifth wheel.

My DH is fairly handy and other than the latest problem with our NEW fifth wheel, he has fixed/repaired everything that has happened to our different vehicles.

With 8 kids, I figure you are probably pretty handy with fixing things around the house, so a trailer will probably not be a problem. Youtube is great with almost any repair you need to do.

Most trailers can be worked on by any REPUTABLE dealer, but there are also RV Techs around that might even be easier to use.

As for backing it in, we have a humongous hill that we live on and a 43' 5th wheel, so backing it uphill is a norm for us.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I could afford wrote:

Personally, I’d take a good look at the Rockwood Roo 183. Manageable size and 3 separate double beds to sleep 6 people without converting the dinette, and without having to climb over it.
[image]

So this is like the 233s except without slide and U-dinette? So we would save weight and length with this but have a smaller eating area. I like this too - but prefer the 233s unless it's a ton more or too heavy. Thank you!

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merrykalia wrote:

IF you purchase used, there won't be any warranty work. Most warrantys are good for one year, maybe two. Usually, most warranty work and major stuff is done in the first year or so.

We have purchased 4 out of 5 of our RVs at least 300 miles from home. Our first popup, we purchased from friends when they upgraded to a motorhome. Yeah, from a popup to a motorhome. We went popup, hybrid, TT bunkhouse, fifth wheel bunkhouse and now another fifth wheel.

My DH is fairly handy and other than the latest problem with our NEW fifth wheel, he has fixed/repaired everything that has happened to our different vehicles.

With 8 kids, I figure you are probably pretty handy with fixing things around the house, so a trailer will probably not be a problem. Youtube is great with almost any repair you need to do.

Most trailers can be worked on by any REPUTABLE dealer, but there are also RV Techs around that might even be easier to use.

As for backing it in, we have a humongous hill that we live on and a 43' 5th wheel, so backing it uphill is a norm for us.

Thanks do you know how steep your driveway is? I'm going to get a pic of mine from the side. But yikes 43' that's shocking lol!

Yes I am handy - I work on house and cars when I can - DH could do a lot too though he's not so mechanically inclined.

I would totally buy used - just nervous is all. I need to narrow down and look on rvt at used as well. I am afraid of buying water problems!

Well that's all encouraging. I'm going to try to upload some photos. DH is such a worrywart about the backing. I don't blame him though - we've seen UPS or other drag a tailpipe on the road backing up.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to CRAIGSLIST, just to see what showed up.

Jayfeather X23 F
This is in Roanoke, VA and will be about 6 hours from you.

233S Rockwood

This is located just north of Knoxville in Clinton, TN. This would only be a little over 2 hours from you. A friend of ours purchased their Aframe camper from there and could not speak highly enough of them.

This search took me less than 3 minutes to find those two.

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the links - I like the Tennessee one - google says about 5 hours - I guess bc over the mountains - but definitely closer than Pennsylvania! I will check CL too - didn't think to look for dealers on there.

bernercamper

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do y'all think of the Jay Feather x254 - too heavy?

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco Jayfeathers has had a negative reputation for being lower than other brands, especially regarding the B/G tanks discharge outlet.

Not sure if the newer models have the issue.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/18 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old hybrid was a 21 foot dual tent with perpendicular bunks across the back. Slept six with nobody on the dinette.

2007 R-Vision Trail Sport 26-QBS
2007 Jayco 1206 Pupup
2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 Camo

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/18 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love ours. Starcraft Travelstar 239TBS.

My wife and I were just talking about campers the other day...her parents moved from a hybrid to a small hard side, since it is only 2 of them camping now.

To get the amount of floorspace and "real" beds we have now (not dinette beds or fold down couches, which it also has in a pinch) in a hard side, we would need a huge camper, and a new truck to pull it with.

We started camping with a pop up and enjoy the tent beds instead of hate them. They really increase the feeling of space in the camper because the beds don't cut into the floor space.
Especially in nice weather when you can open all the windows.

Ours is pretty big for a hybrid, but has lots of ground clearance. I have yet to drag anything with it.

The only issue we have had with it is that the Furrion DVD players keep dying. I called Furrion for a replacement, and the new upgraded model they sent for free is having issues reading disks again after only a year. Not Starcraft's fault though, other than the brand they chose!

https://starcraftrv.com/travel-trailers/launch-outfitter/239tbs/
[image]

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS
1996 GMC Suburban 1500 5.7/3.73
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Chuck_S

Chesterfield VA -- that's south of Richmond y'all

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/18 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2007 Expedition with HD Tow will handle about 9000 pounds assuming the 5.4 V8 (which may be the only V8 that year). My One-Ton Rule would insist on a trailer grossing out no more than 7000 pounds. Lots of hybrids fit that weight limit. You'll need a WDH for any sizeable hybrid (bigger than 17').

My 2007 Expedition V8 was to the point of mileage (about 190K) and age I really didn't want to tow with it anymore so a new-last July '17 Expedition has assumed those duties. As the age and mileage builds these vehicles need more and more TLC.

I'd not buy a used hybrid from a dealer as you can probably buy new from a dealer like RVWholesalers whose business model is based on quantity. They're only a couple of hours from Forest River over in Indiana so they have quick access and quick ordering. 2019 models will be on the lots very soon if not already so 2018 trailers are already "last year's models." Keep in mind.

'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Ready to buy a hybrid but which one and how?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS