Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Dempster Highway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Dempster Highway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
tony lee

Iceland 10 weeks, India 4 weeks, US & Mexico 16 we

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Brian - sounds perfectly doable.Good gravel roads are better than bad interstates any day. I carry an unmounted spare strapped between the chassis rails so will just need to buy some extra basic tools so I can change it over if necessary. And research where fuel stops are if any - although it isn't all that long anyway so that obviously isn't an issue.

Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tony, You fill up in Dawson, drive to Eagle Plains, fill up there, and drive to Inuvik. Eagle Plains is the only place with fuel between Dawson and Inuvik.
The road to Tuktoyaktuk is now open so you can drive right up close to the Arctic Ocean.
Brian

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Filterman

White Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent many years living in the Yukon where there was virtually no pavement other than in Whitehorse. We have done the Dempster couple of times and love it. SLOW is the key. Take lots of time. As others have stated the northern gravel roads are 100% dependent on weather. We have been lucky both trips. If you get several days of heavy rain Ina row , it can mess with the road surface but as a rule it's pretty well maintained. Two ferry crossings but both operate pretty well. I'd plan on Six days travel time ( return) and probably a night or two in Inuvik. Inuvik is completely unique to any place else you will visit and worth a couple of days of poking around and walking.
We are planning a summer 2020 trip all the way to Tuktoyaktuk. As others have mentioned, a new all weather road opened in November of 2017. I'd like to give it a couple of years to settle in before we do it. There's fuel, commercial camping and services at Eagle Plains and pretty good services in Inuvik. There is also fuel at Ft MacPherson (when it's open ??). The scenery at both ends is kind of hohum but the high plains and mountain passes in the center are spectacular.
Happy travelling.

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do any of you guys have plans to drive clear up to Tuktoyaktuk on the new road ?

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman210000 YouTube Videos

Filterman

White Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

You'll get a sandblast job on your lower body and chassis. Windshields don't fare well either.

Yes , you could get a cracked windshield but the odds are low because there isn't much traffic. To avoid road rash, I covered the front of our trailer the first 4' up with mattress carton and duct tape. No damage and just peel it off and scrap it when you get back to civilization.

Filterman

White Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

Do any of you guys have plans to drive clear up to Tuktoyaktuk on the new road ?

Our plans are for 2020. I'm thinking it will give it time to settle down a bit.

Filterman

White Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

Our plans are for 2020. I'm thinking it will give it time to settle down a bit.

Filterman

White Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

You'll get a sandblast job on your lower body and chassis. Windshields don't fare well either.

Yes , you could get a cracked windshield but the odds are low because there isn't much traffic. To avoid road rash, I covered the front of our trailer the first 4' up with mattress carton and duct tape. No damage and just peel it off and scrap it when you get back to civilization.

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our last trip to the Arctic Circle was in 2015.
http://yukonsights.ca/DempsterHwy.html

[image]

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

tony lee

Iceland 10 weeks, India 4 weeks, US & Mexico 16 we

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

Yes we will head up there this coming season. Dallas leaving early March to Niagra to western Canada and then up all the way

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Dempster Highway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS