Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Dempster Highway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Dempster Highway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzie wrote:

I agree with Tripalot but wonder about the comment about bridges across the rivers. We made the trip in 2016 and did not see any signs of bridges being built.This is a beautiful trip and was, for us, a peak experience. We also took our time. We flew to Tuk and came back to Inuvik by boat. lizzie

You used to have to take a ferry to get across the Peel River near Fort McPherson and another one across the Mackenzie River at Arctic Red River. There are now bridges so there is year round road service to Inuvik. Years ago, it was necessary to wait for it to freeze up in the fall creating the ice road and when it started to melt residents needed to wait for the river to open up and the ferries to run.

Taking the ferries was another experience and gave you a break from driving depending on how many cars were ahead of you.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Yeti plus

S.W. Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went in 2016, the ferries were still running and the locals said there were no plans to build bridges at that time.

2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There aren't bridges - still ferries. Usually start running in early June and stop in late October. http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/Highways/Highway_System/NWTHwy8

In winter, highway travellers need to wait for the river to freeze and ice bridges to open.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Tripalot

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/18 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sue.t wrote:

There aren't bridges - still ferries. Usually start running in early June and stop in late October. http://www.dot.gov.nt.ca/Highways/Highway_System/NWTHwy8

In winter, highway travellers need to wait for the river to freeze and ice bridges to open.

Thanks for this information. I was definitely out of date. A traveller I was gabbing with a couple of years ago told me there were no more ferries. It has now been about 8 years since we did the Dempster. Would love to do it again and drive on to Tuk

explorenorth

Whitehorse, Yukon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/18 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tripalot wrote:

Thanks for this information. I was definitely out of date. A traveller I was gabbing with a couple of years ago told me there were no more ferries. It has now been about 8 years since we did the Dempster. Would love to do it again and drive on to Tuk

The person you were talking to was confused about the bridge(s) - there's a bridge across the Mackenzie on the road to Yellowknife, and that ferry is now history.

Tripalot

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

explorenorth wrote:

Tripalot wrote:

The person you were talking to was confused about the bridge(s) - there's a bridge across the Mackenzie on the road to Yellowknife, and that ferry is now history.

That is probably what happened. Thanks for the clarification.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Dempster Highway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS