Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tent Camping: SUV tent
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> SUV tent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wiloran

Sparks, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone used an SUV tent? Did you like it? Would welcome thoughts, comments and suggestions. We’ve gone from a tent to a 24-ft C to a 27 ft TT to a 38 ft TT and are now in a van conversion. We’re scaling back and looking for something that eliminates need for parking/storage, insurance and battery charging. We’re 68 and 64, but pretty adaptable to “roughing it.”

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally find the vehicle tents to be more trouble than they're worth. I would simply go back to your tent camping days, but sleep in the back of the SUV on a memory foam topper.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At one time I considered an suv tent. I decided a freestanding tent would be more practical for me. Any time I might want to leave my campsite for any reason, I would have to disengage and maybe even take down the suv tent, but a normal tent can stay as is. If your camping style is different YMMV.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked into them for our off road adventures. Seemed more hassle than a tent or hammock to us.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

wiloran

Sparks, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good responses and an excellent point about not being able to drive away from a campsite when you’re hooked up to a tent. I’m glad I asked before impulsively buying something. You’ve given me my answer, Thanks.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was going to go back to a tent, it would be a wall tent. Yes, they take some effort to erect and a GOOD QUALITY wall tent is not cheap ! Also, if they are not selling you a rain fly with your tent, it will be short lived or leak.

Google the word "glamping" (glamour camping). A couple of king-sized camping cots with a decent mattress, a couple of zero-gravity chairs, a decent kitchen set up with a sink and a 4.5 cu ft refrigerator and you have a setup as nice as a 5er ! You just don't want to have to tear down every night and setup the next day.

wiloran

Sparks, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/18 10:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glamping. Wow, who would have thought! That would be wonderful for a longer term camp site, but since our trips usually involve some traveling I don’t think it would work. I’m intrigued with the idea though, thanks!

james144

Oakland gardens

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i didn't have any experience but my ex girlfriend's did use to do their family picnics with the SUVs. Did not take any interest in the rest of the story

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my trip to Alaska last year I saw some people here and there using cartop (trucktop? SUVtop?) tents, things like the Tepui line (other makes also exist, and I don't know anything about which are superior and which are not). They seemed to me to have certain advantages in wild areas...and certain disadvantages, too. It might be a bit quicker and easier to set up than a more traditional SUV tent, and certainly require less manicured ground.

mountainkowboy

Socal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/18 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got a smokin deal on a Napier SUV tent and will be using it for the first time this weekend...will let you know. We've been tent camping for a few years now and the Napier tent is easily disconnected from the vehicle with no impact on the tent.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Hanna...R.I.P. Dixie we miss you
Tent camping again
06 Honda CR-V
11 Ford Ranger
63 IH Scout 80

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tent Camping

> SUV tent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tent Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS