Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Turn signal not flashing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Turn signal not flashing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Suburban52

S. Cal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/18 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Everyone, has anybody had this problem. I replaced my round 4 trailer plug on class c MH. Toad lights are brighter now. Left turn signal on rv not working now. Left front flashes fast, rear does not flash or brake light come on, tail lights works. Changed bulb on left and rear side still not working. Is there a fuse somewhere, flasher unit working on rightside as well as on 4 way except for left side.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With not even a hint what the hardware is, it will be tough to be much help, but I will tell you that I have never seen an individual fuse for a single signal light.

My personal suspicion would be that when the trailer harness was spliced in, a poor job was done and it has now failed. This could be a simple fix if you can find that splice. With most vehicles, the taillight harness comes down the left side of the vehicle and there is a place in the left rear corner where there is the split off to the right rear light and that is usually where I attacked the harness to put in a trailer harness.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

tobydad

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first thought is that the wire from the left turn signal to the new plug is not making proper contact. Check that wire where you connected it to the new plug. I would probably make sure using a volt tester that the connection is complete before removing any wires. If the connection is complete then you would have to start looking elsewhere - probably the turn signal switch.

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

start checking from the front and working back with a test light, i found a few connection problems with mine getting all the lights to work. check all the connectors, best to solder and heat shrink all the connectors, the blue tap type connectors are junk, and nothing but problem with with water getting in and rotten wires. best to remove any that you find and do a proper connection, or they come back and haunt you later...

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When working with a test light avoid poking holes in the wiring insulation, it just opens that circuit up for future issues, especially if you drive through salty conditions.

I would start with the 4 pin plug and work backwards. Look where any butt connectors were used in the wiring. Without being soldered they do work loose. Check the socket where the bulb makes contact, loose or corroded contacts.

Just re read the original post. This all happened after you changed the plug? Re check your wiring diagram.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really knowing what's wrong, "poor ground" came to mind.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Ford minivan has a "trailer package" and that includes a separate fuse panel for the towing harness. NOT shown in Owner's Manual! I went to check but would have to take more apart than I can get to right now. I remember it having several fuses in there, and I want to say there were Left and Right for Stop/Turn.

A Class C Chassis doesn't come with Rear Lights, but it has a Trailer Harness. Although the wiring is still there, often the Coach is connected to Trailer, not to Chassis. You don't say which Chassis you have or the Year, so we can't say what you might have. Check every possible fuse position as well as checking wiring and ground.

* This post was edited 02/04/18 01:30pm by j-d *

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does this happen whether the toad is hooked up or not? Unhook toad and see if that changes, front bulb flashing rapid is the same result as bad rear bulb or no continuity. Right and left are on one relay. Because it's happening on MH which is before the connector I would say something in the plug wiring is grounding.

Suburban52

S. Cal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, will disconnect trailer plug and work back to check for loose connections, thanks for all the help, will update when I further research.

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/18 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say the brake/turn signal on the rear of the rv is not working. Are the trailer lights all working correctly? Take the left rear bulb out of the rv and use a simple test light to check to make sure there is power there. You do not say how you changed the plug out. It sounds like you may have broken the wire when you connected the new plug. Also make sure that the new plug is functioning properly. I have a variety of plug parts I use when requiring things. If you have an old trailer end connection with bare wires, plug it in and test each bare wire that it is functioning properly. But you can simply ground one end of the test light to the ground and touch the various ends to check that power is getting to each point. I use two simple probes with my test light and a steady hand. Also check your rv fuses for a specific fuse for the rear lights, I found my chevy has some fuses in the engine compartment I did not realize were there until having similar issues. They were right in the fuse box but I did not realize they were wired that specific on what they controlled. When you figure it out, please post your solution.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Turn signal not flashing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS