Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering Stabilizers....yes again..

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Team,

Will be purchasing and installing a steering stabilizer on our Monaco Vesta. Now trying to decide on which one. Here is my theory on one aspect of them: centering force.

Seems like centering force, how strong a force the stabilizer exerts to return/keep the steering in the center would primarily be a function of the strength of the spring. Several factors go into the force a spring can exert (type of material, thickness of coils, diameter of spring, etc.). The Roadmaaster spring is larger in diameter than the other two; one indicator of possible centering force. Which could lead on to conclude it has the strongest centering force?

While I like the adjust-ability of the Blue Ox one. Its relatively thin diameter leaves me wondering how strong a centering force it can exert.

Looking forward to you thoughts/corrections to my line of reasoning

Thanks
Dan
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.
11 REPLIES 11

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Blue Ox on my 40' DP, which made a great difference in the amount of work required to drive 7 or 8 hours a day. The tendency to wander out of your lane is greatly reduced.

I was prompted to make the change because one day I let my right wheels drift onto the shoulder and I noticed how difficult it was to get straight back into my lane without oversteering across into the next lane.

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
I had Safe-T-Plus on my previous coach. It was only for blowout protection to keep you from suddenly going left or right. It did not keep you centered on the road. That is the job of the alignment, anti-sway bars, and a track bar. My current coach came with the Tru-Center. When driving across the plains when the wind is blowing constantly instead of turning the steering wheel left to go straight you can adjust it on the go to hold the coach straight. It also does the same job that that Safe-T-Plus does. The Tru-Center has a gas cylinder like an office chair uses to raise and lower it.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
So what is everyone's thoughts on the theory that one with the most centering force would reduce lane wander the most?

Too simplistic a way to look at it?

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Safe T plus is an amazing unit. It makes a huge difference for me. Less steering wander and less driving stress. I think it was the best $$$ I have ever spent in five years.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running the Blue OX True center on mine. I had a safety plus on my old gasser that I disliked.
My coach drove and handled great before I installed the BlueOx. I installed it mainly in case of tire blow out. I really like that it is adjustable on the fly for road crown and wind with a touch of the button.

I installed a foot switch to mine. The one with yellow wire.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We have had the Safe-T-Plus on our last two coaches (liked it so much on the first we put it on the second right away). It uses a hydraulic cylinder instead of springs to dampen sudden movements, such as those experienced in a steering tire blowout or even the meeting of a semi. It costs a little more but worth it to us. It does take a little getting used to the stiffer steering but I don't even notice it's there after a few miles.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
So what is everyone's thoughts on the theory that one with the most centering force would reduce lane wander the most?

Too simplistic a way to look at it?
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:
I had the Roadmaster on my Tiffin when we had it. It never brought the steering back to center. If you took your hands off the wheel in a slight turn it stayed there.

I suspect centering force is more important at reducing lanewander. It would probably would take an unreasonable amount of force to bring the wheel back to center after truing.

How was it at reducing lane wandering?

It was very good at reducing lane wander. I also added the Roadmaster front and rear sway bars which helped quite a bit with the side roll. Traded the vehicle 2 weeks ago out in Quartzsite as we both felt it still rode like a moving truck. The new Tour we have has a great ride
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blue Ox is 700 Pounds of force as I recall. NOTE THE AS I RECALL.. the exact number is in the specifications .. I can check next pass when I have access to ye old manual if you wish. Right now I'm single computer and do not have access to the manual which is on the OTHER machine.

Do not know about the others

Note also that 700 Pounds is on the tie rod. NOT on the wheel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
I had the Roadmaster on my Tiffin when we had it. It never brought the steering back to center. If you took your hands off the wheel in a slight turn it stayed there.

I suspect centering force is more important at reducing lanewander. It would probably would take an unreasonable amount of force to bring the wheel back to center after truing.

How was it at reducing lane wandering?
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie