cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salton Sea

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious how many people research the destination there going to? I got on a few Salton Sea websites and was shocked by what I read. I’m RVing at Palm Springs KOA, so I went down today to take a look at California’s largest lake! Anyway, it appears that just about everything I read was true and that place is a real health hazard IMHO. I feel for the poor people living in communities around the Lake and can’t afford to move and there very sick! I got out of my CRV at Mecca Beach, and the Lake smelled like sewer to me. I was shocked at all the people in motor homes camping along the lake? I don’t know if they were unaware of there surroundings or just plain ignorant? I’m glad I, at least checked it out and won’t be going back there anytime soon since I have a low immune system. If your not aware of the Salton Sea problems please read about it on the net! Happy Trails, Rooster
34 REPLIES 34

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
We were through Borrego Springs and out to salton sea to the 86 a couple weeks ago and saw a ton of RVs boondocking with ATVs. Communities looked a little tired and we did notice the smell. Algae bloom makes sense. Decided to stay in La Quinta and not move down there.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
4x4van said:

"The 1000's of rigs that ArchHoagland saw on the I-10 were not going/coming to/from the Salton Sea; they were going/coming to/from Ocotillo Wells, Borrego, and Glamis with their off-road toys and to/from the Colorado River with their boats and PWCs. No one "recreates" at the Sea anymore."

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure where they were from but for sure there were a ton of them.

On Sundays it's a steady stream west on 78 of jacked up pick ups and toy haulers. Here and there we would see a car. The imperial Dunes are about 8x40 miles long and one of the hot spots for some of the most high powered and exotic toys ever built by man.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van said:

"The 1000's of rigs that ArchHoagland saw on the I-10 were not going/coming to/from the Salton Sea; they were going/coming to/from Ocotillo Wells, Borrego, and Glamis with their off-road toys and to/from the Colorado River with their boats and PWCs. No one "recreates" at the Sea anymore."

Thanks for the info, wasn't sure where they were from but for sure there were a ton of them.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I actually learned to water ski on the Salton Sea, back in the late 60s. Much different place then than now. That said, however, no one lives there that doesn't want to live there, and no one lives there without access to clean drinking water (no one is getting their water from the sea). There IS perfectly functional water, sewer, electric, gas infrastructure.

It IS a major stopover for migratory birds, although I suppose they would find somewhere else to do so if the sea dried up completely. I live in the San Gorgonio Pass, and we get the stink from the sea 2-3 times per year, when the conditions are just right/ripe. It'd be nice if it were to somehow be able to be restored to it's former recreational glory, but I see no way to stop the inflow from the ridiculously polluted New River flowing north from Mexico. In any case, any solution would cost way too much money, so...it'll never happen.

The 1000's of rigs that ArchHoagland saw on the I-10 were not going/coming to/from the Salton Sea; they were going/coming to/from Ocotillo Wells, Borrego, and Glamis with their off-road toys and to/from the Colorado River with their boats and PWCs. No one "recreates" at the Sea anymore.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I imagine its a little different than in 1979 although it was fairly nasty as I remember it.

The guy at 2:50 and 3:24, and Hunky Daddy at 28:47
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fertilizers are mostly inert. Pesticides volatilize and bind up in the fine fraction of the soil. Sewage decomposes quickly especially in the presence of ultra violet light which is readily present in the desert. The health hazards presented by these materials by the time the lake dries out are minimal. There are thousands of square miles of clean dust to dilute whatever is left.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
We have plenty of terminal lakes like Owens Lake, Honey Lake, Pyramid Lake and Walker Lake that have been studied for years. It is primarily the fine fraction of clay and fine silt that is entrained in the wind. Whatever "stuff" is associated with dust is diluted by all of the other dust out there. The dust particles in the range of less than 10 microns (PM10) are more harmful to your health than the "stuff."

What happens when the dust is 99% old fertilizer ? chemical pesticides? and sewage?

No answers, just questions.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have plenty of terminal lakes like Owens Lake, Honey Lake, Pyramid Lake and Walker Lake that have been studied for years. It is primarily the fine fraction of clay and fine silt that is entrained in the wind. Whatever "stuff" is associated with dust is diluted by all of the other dust out there. The dust particles in the range of less than 10 microns (PM10) are more harmful to your health than the "stuff."

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Only in a State like California would air quality be the driving force in major land use decision making. It was dry desert before and it will be again. Dust storms are a fact of life in deserts. It matters not whether dust comes off the playa of the Salton Sea or the surrounding desert.
That's true but....

Now the dust will have stuff in it, that mother nature didn't put there.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only in a State like California would air quality be the driving force in major land use decision making. It was dry desert before and it will be again. Dust storms are a fact of life in deserts. It matters not whether dust comes off the playa of the Salton Sea or the surrounding desert.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
People who live in squalor need a place to do so, better in the middle of nowhere than in your neighborhood.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I watched the full version PBS documentary on TV on the salton sea from its beginnings of a nightclub/Vegas style famous people destination.

And then the demise of it all. Including sadly, videos of thousands of birds dead, waves and waves of dead fish and up to now the stench that still lingers.

And NO one gov agency will clean it up. They just left it that way. Welcome to America's little 3rd world country...Salton sea. And yes there are people living there with no clean water etc.

There is fresh clean water all around the Salton Sea. I've been there and used it. Those in the slabs have fresh water available to them in Niland. Those living around the Salton Sea are there because the want to be. Some want to drop out of society, some go there to recover from job loss, some, like me, go there to relax and visit with a different kind society. Please don't change the Salton Sea. It serves a purpose.

RICHARD

There are 2 distinct areas of the Salton sea.

I'm sure there are no signs directing anyone to where it still looks like the aftermath where there 'are' people living in squander.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
The most RV's I've seen in my life were on I10 leaving the Salton Sea area. It was on a Sunday after a long weekend. A ton of people go to that area.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This problem has been a problem for so long that everyone now says it's not my fault, the last guy should have done something. The problem CAN be resolved and it involves making the water go away or introducing new, fresh water. Since the new, fresh water option is not a viable option the only option is to dry it out. Yes, we can dry it out, seed or farm the region and get rid of this terrible cesspool that has been created due to human error. Come on humans! Take responsibility and grow a pair. Now that the President has said it, is it OK to call this place an S-Hole? If so, let it have been said. CA and the Federal Government need to get together and put together a comprehensive plan to solve the serious issue that everyone would rather sweep under the rug.
I guess [soap box on] and [soap box off] would have been appropriate but anyone who has been in this area recently (the last 10 years) would agree that this is an untenable situation.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?