Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: SoCal to Denali in a class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> SoCal to Denali in a class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
DAS26miles

Out West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW wants to go on a cruise but I would like to check out driving up to Denali so as to spend more time seeing the sights and not be restricted to the cruise itinerary.
I have 2 year old 28' Class C. Best part about driving would be we can take our rescue dog and not try and find a relative to take her. Plus we wouldn't have to be in a hurry to get back to her.
I see no problem driving up to Seattle, but from there on it's entirely unknown wilderness. We've been to Canada in our old class C back in 2010 for 10 days going up from Glacier to Waterton, Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise. So we are aware of gun restrictions, keeping prescriptions in original containers and taking all of our dogs records, etc.
My big concern is the route, road conditions, availability of campsites etc.
Probably a lot here in questions, but any suggestions?

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Point the thing north, go, and have a great time. Roads are good, lot's of CG's .

Nothing to be worried about, or afraid of. Just like driving in the lower 48, except things (like towns) are fewer and further between.

Unknown wilderness, would kind of be a Lewis and Clark thing, that would not be this. Although I would suggest, I have had better food, kind of blah to my taste. But on the other hand our friends to the north are about the most helpful, friendly folks you could ever run across.

As I said point the thing north go and enjoy, no worries

* This post was edited 02/04/18 06:33pm by winnietrey *

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't help you much on what route to take, depends on when you go, what your skill level is driving your rig through mountainous terrain if you choose central BC, what stuff you like to see, and what sort of camping you prefer (boondock/dry versus full hookups), but the road conditions info can be found in this thread/topic about 5 posts down. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29532711.cfm

Or
Drive BC

Yukon roads

NWT Roads

We did the Alaska Hwy (97) from Dawson Creek in August-September 2016 and it does get pretty desolate for long stretches from there to Watson Lake, then again towards Whitehorse, and after that to the Alcan Border. There's fuel and food and various places to stop/camp but it may be pretty rustic/primitive/ad hoc in some areas, so plan to bring/carry the essentials, whatever they might be.

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V "Goldilocks" 2016 JKU "Red"

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles wrote:

The DW wants to go on a cruise but I would like to check out driving ...
You do know that a happy wife makes a great trip - otherwise not so much.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee

Bob

diazr2

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

Point the thing north, go, and have a great time. Roads are good, lot's of CG's .

Nothing to be worried about, or afraid of. Just like driving in the lower 48, except things (like towns) are fewer and further between.

Unknown wilderness, would kind of be a Lewis and Clark thing, that would not be this. Although I would suggest, I have had better food, kind of blah to my taste. But on the other hand our friends to the north are about the most helpful, friendly folks you could ever run across.

As I said point the thing north go and enjoy, no worries

X2

DAS26miles

Out West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what about taking a ferry to where ever ?

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles, You may want to check out the thread on the RVing in Alaska/Canada forum for Alaska 2018. We went to AK in 15 and are returning again this spring summer. We saw more wildlife along the highway in Canada than we did in Alaska.
We did not find the road to be as bad as some make it out to be and the heaves for the most part were marked., That said even if they weren't if your watching the road and doing the limit you can see the rubber on the road from those who weren't.
Unless your in a hurry or have a time constraint there are many pull offs for photo opportunities or just to enjoy the scenery.
Order yourself a copy of The Milepost 2018 gives you a mile by mile of various routes and all the vital services you will need.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a perfectly doable trip, and many people each year make it. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Alaska and back from Vermont this past year with my class C (rather older than yours), and had a fantastic time. This thread gives some of the details of my trip, with quite a few pictures, and may be helpful for you.

Campsites are generally plentiful if you don't need hookups every night, and not overly hard to come by with at least partial hookups. I made reservations in advance only for Lake Louise and Denali (Tek), both maybe a couple weeks in advance. I was fortunate to get the Lake Louise one as it was rather obviously getting lucky with catching a cancellation (it was the only site available for reservation anywhere in the park for several nights before or after).

The roads you're likely to be on are mostly paved two-lane roads, with some areas of construction that vary from year to year and some frost heaves etc., but nothing a normal vehicle can't handle. There are some highways that are unpaved and rougher that lead to interesting and beautiful places, but you can avoid them if you prefer.

If you're thinking of or planning to drive, I'd recommend getting copies of a few books: the Milepost (which is largely advertising, but still useful and informative); Church's Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping (very thorough and very useful); and, if you want a good atlas of Alaska, the Benchmark state atlas. Whether driving or taking the ferry or a cruise, also take a look at the Alalska TourSaver for the year you go and see if you'd be likely to use some of the deals in it. If you take one or two tours, it can readily pay for itself. (They're two for one deals, the exact list varying some from year to year.)

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DAS26miles wrote:

what about taking a ferry to where ever ?

Have a read of this thread/topic. It's spendy to travel by ferry.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29527155.cfm

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/18 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're driving to Washington to cross the border do so at Sumas. It's an easy crossing with minimal traffic. We then spent our first night in Hope - not a far drive. There we went to the bank to exchange some cash and stocked up on fresh meat/veggies. It's a neat small town with awesome large wood carvings lining the street. Wild Rose RV is good.

The only reservations we made for the whole summer were for the July 4 weekend and for 5 nights in Teklanika campground in Denali. Those we only made a couple weeks prior when we could better judge when we'd be there. As it turned out, we were early for Denali so we boondocked nearby and drove in early the next morning and easily secured an additional 5 nights at Denali's front campground, Riley Creek. With 10 nights we saw 'the mountain' 7 of 10 days in full glory and every one of the big 5 animals. Take the school bus tour, not the commercial tour. The drivers are friendly and stop often when someone sees something. They're also very good at spotting the critters.

Have a great trip. Driving is the way to go - at least for your first trip... of many!!

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> SoCal to Denali in a class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS