cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SoCal to Denali in a class C

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
The DW wants to go on a cruise but I would like to check out driving up to Denali so as to spend more time seeing the sights and not be restricted to the cruise itinerary.
I have 2 year old 28' Class C. Best part about driving would be we can take our rescue dog and not try and find a relative to take her. Plus we wouldn't have to be in a hurry to get back to her.
I see no problem driving up to Seattle, but from there on it's entirely unknown wilderness. We've been to Canada in our old class C back in 2010 for 10 days going up from Glacier to Waterton, Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise. So we are aware of gun restrictions, keeping prescriptions in original containers and taking all of our dogs records, etc.
My big concern is the route, road conditions, availability of campsites etc.
Probably a lot here in questions, but any suggestions?
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Send the wife on a geezer boat (cruise) and load up the moho and meet her there! Problem solved.....
Seriously though, you have a new moho, take the trip, it is AWESOME.
Don’t worry about the roads. Frost heaves are annoying but they don’t cause issues if you slow down......for 600 Miles. Few rocks on the road here n there. No diffenret than the mountains in the L48.
It’s worth the drive!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"The roads are mostly great, the scenery spectacular and you'll want to go back. Again and again."

I think this about sums it up. Point your rig North and go. Although one will find the towns (and therefore services) a bit further apart, the road North (Alcan to me, but that's only what I grew up with 45+ years ago) is nowhere near as bad as it once was.

I've driven the trip L48 to Los Anchorage 20+ times since 1976 and (other than one trip from heck) haven't had any worse problems than one would encounter driving that many miles on secondary roads anywhere in the western U.S. I think I've had 3 broken headlights and 2 flats in all those trips...again, other than the one trip from heck that was such an aberration it doesn't figure.

Go slow in "traffic" and on the frost heaves and you'll be fine...enjoy the scenery and the different ambience once you're in the North country.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

soren
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
We were lucky and only had 2 MH windshield chips that were repaired in Whitehorse. There were a significant number of additional rock strikes detected by sound and dings.

I had Safelite install a new windshield in my CRV, nothing to do with the AK trip. Long after the fact I discovered they used cheap Chinese glass and likely used a cheap rubber gasket. There is also evidence that they broke the plastic mounts for the bolts that hold the trim that extends from the windshield to the roof. NEVER again will I use Safelite.

I hand washed my Suburban, moments before arriving at a Safelite shop to get the windshield replaced. Hours later, way longer than any normal job takes, and after telling me that there were no issues at all, they give me the keys and decide to not tell me that they smashed the rear corner of the truck, into the stuccoed block garage door opening of their shop. They then lied about it. It was a real ugly battle to get them to step up and pay for the damage. Never again, not even if they did the work for free.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We left Arizona with a cracked windshield on our towed Jeep. We didn't get it fixed thinking we'd just get another on the trip to Alaska. We returned to Arizona with the same crack and no more.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it! Made the trip in 2016 and loved every leisurely minute of the drive. Roads aren't bad if you don't get in a big hurry. Other than near Denali, we only made reservations a day or two in advance. Used a mix of commercial and govt. primitive campgrounds, didn't boondock. Gas is no problem if you drive on the top half of your tank, in other words look to take a break and fill up when you approach half a tank.

Our windshield made it all the way to Alaska and back but got broken in 2017 on I-94 in Montana!
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were lucky and only had 2 MH windshield chips that were repaired in Whitehorse. There were a significant number of additional rock strikes detected by sound and dings.

I had Safelite install a new windshield in my CRV, nothing to do with the AK trip. Long after the fact I discovered they used cheap Chinese glass and likely used a cheap rubber gasket. There is also evidence that they broke the plastic mounts for the bolts that hold the trim that extends from the windshield to the roof. NEVER again will I use Safelite.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We made it all the way up and back to within a mile from the house, a gravel truck got us. he dumped a bout a cubic foot of 2 inch minus crushed stone in front of us coming the other way. his insurance covered two new pieces of glass and new seal.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
We almost made it through the entire trip with our original windshield, but an 18 wheeler was late for something, and passed us in the opposite direction in the last stretch of roadway construction/loose gravel before we escaped the great white north. The stretch of construction was posted 50kph and he was easily doing twice that. Showered us (literally) with loose gravel and there was no place to escape, as the ditches were all steep drops because they had raised/regraded that section of roadway higher than it was. It would have been east/south bound in northern BC, just past Fort St John, before Dawson Creek somewhere, iirc.
btw, if you do get a crack or get chipped, and you can get to Montana safely, the Safelite shop in Great Falls is very good. Ordered my new glass the afternoon I called in, and it was there the next morning. From SLC, UT??? Great price, too.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Met a camper in Dawson Creek that was in his 19th day having his bent 5er hitch repaired. Another deposited a trailer axle along the highway.

Bob

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the worst roads are in the Yukon.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And we found significant rocks on the Canadian roads due to the use of chip seal. Broken glass etc is not uncommon. In Whitehorse we estimated 50% of the cars had broken windshields. Perhaps this is just a way of life in that area.

Rocks are a concern when passing, being passed or oncoming traffic. The worst drivers in terms of rock throwing were the locals and the RV tourists from the states. The best were the truckers. When approaching they would pull to the right as far as possible. We also went the the right and slowed down.

Typically we drove 50-55 MPH on the Alaskan Highway due to road conditions, etc. And the driver or at least me had less time to view the scenery because of increased awareness of road conditions just ahead.

As I like to tell my friends - You can drive the speed limit or faster - no problem - just bring enough cash to buy a new rig!

Bob

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I made the trip from CA to Alaska in 2012 in my truck camper. All went smoothly. Saw some fantastic scenery. Only made reservations for Denali. I second the recommendation for Church's Alaska Campgrounds book. Very helpful. Took the ferry back from Haines to Prince Rupert.

You might get some ideas from my blog of the trip, which lists every campground, here.

Have fun!
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We found the roads in Canada in better condition than in the US, that is until you get way up north and the frost heaves.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
fishhogg wrote:
WARNING we did the trip twice in the 70's! The second trip we never left. ??

Have you driven back to the states since the 70s ? We drive from PA. to AK. about every five years or so. Four trips since 2000. In that time the changes in everything from the improvements to the AK. highway to the deterioration of the businesses and small towns along the way, is shocking. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 40 year gap between trips.