Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: SoCal to Denali in a class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> SoCal to Denali in a class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fishhogg

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/18 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WARNING we did the trip twice in the 70's! The second trip we never left. ??

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be too late for this May, but flying to Winnebago IA and delivering a C to Anchorage and then taking a cruise back to Vancouver solves both desires. Driving one way to Alaska in someone else's RV and cruising home is as good as it gets. Yes, I did it several years ago but started from Vegas and had the C for 3 weeks.
Until Whitehorse the roads were very good but after there it's hard to have good roads on top of the permafrost.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The roads are mostly great, the scenery spectacular and you'll want to go back. Again and again.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fishhogg wrote:

WARNING we did the trip twice in the 70's! The second trip we never left. ??

Have you driven back to the states since the 70s ? We drive from PA. to AK. about every five years or so. Four trips since 2000. In that time the changes in everything from the improvements to the AK. highway to the deterioration of the businesses and small towns along the way, is shocking. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a 40 year gap between trips.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found the roads in Canada in better condition than in the US, that is until you get way up north and the frost heaves.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made the trip from CA to Alaska in 2012 in my truck camper. All went smoothly. Saw some fantastic scenery. Only made reservations for Denali. I second the recommendation for Church's Alaska Campgrounds book. Very helpful. Took the ferry back from Haines to Prince Rupert.

You might get some ideas from my blog of the trip, which lists every campground, here.

Have fun!

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 125 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 660 Campsites / YouTube Videos

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And we found significant rocks on the Canadian roads due to the use of chip seal. Broken glass etc is not uncommon. In Whitehorse we estimated 50% of the cars had broken windshields. Perhaps this is just a way of life in that area.

Rocks are a concern when passing, being passed or oncoming traffic. The worst drivers in terms of rock throwing were the locals and the RV tourists from the states. The best were the truckers. When approaching they would pull to the right as far as possible. We also went the the right and slowed down.

Typically we drove 50-55 MPH on the Alaskan Highway due to road conditions, etc. And the driver or at least me had less time to view the scenery because of increased awareness of road conditions just ahead.

As I like to tell my friends - You can drive the speed limit or faster - no problem - just bring enough cash to buy a new rig!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the worst roads are in the Yukon.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Met a camper in Dawson Creek that was in his 19th day having his bent 5er hitch repaired. Another deposited a trailer axle along the highway.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We almost made it through the entire trip with our original windshield, but an 18 wheeler was late for something, and passed us in the opposite direction in the last stretch of roadway construction/loose gravel before we escaped the great white north. The stretch of construction was posted 50kph and he was easily doing twice that. Showered us (literally) with loose gravel and there was no place to escape, as the ditches were all steep drops because they had raised/regraded that section of roadway higher than it was. It would have been east/south bound in northern BC, just past Fort St John, before Dawson Creek somewhere, iirc.
btw, if you do get a crack or get chipped, and you can get to Montana safely, the Safelite shop in Great Falls is very good. Ordered my new glass the afternoon I called in, and it was there the next morning. From SLC, UT??? Great price, too.

Mike.
Comments are just my opinions, unless otherwise stated or inferred, based on my personal anecdotal experience, and/or topical research.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> SoCal to Denali in a class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS