Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: SoCal to Denali in a class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> SoCal to Denali in a class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made it all the way up and back to within a mile from the house, a gravel truck got us. he dumped a bout a cubic foot of 2 inch minus crushed stone in front of us coming the other way. his insurance covered two new pieces of glass and new seal.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were lucky and only had 2 MH windshield chips that were repaired in Whitehorse. There were a significant number of additional rock strikes detected by sound and dings.

I had Safelite install a new windshield in my CRV, nothing to do with the AK trip. Long after the fact I discovered they used cheap Chinese glass and likely used a cheap rubber gasket. There is also evidence that they broke the plastic mounts for the bolts that hold the trim that extends from the windshield to the roof. NEVER again will I use Safelite.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 CR-V and 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Nodaker

North Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/18 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it! Made the trip in 2016 and loved every leisurely minute of the drive. Roads aren't bad if you don't get in a big hurry. Other than near Denali, we only made reservations a day or two in advance. Used a mix of commercial and govt. primitive campgrounds, didn't boondock. Gas is no problem if you drive on the top half of your tank, in other words look to take a break and fill up when you approach half a tank.

Our windshield made it all the way to Alaska and back but got broken in 2017 on I-94 in Montana!

Nodaker
2009 Chev 2500HD
2015 Jayco 321RSTS

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/18 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We left Arizona with a cracked windshield on our towed Jeep. We didn't get it fixed thinking we'd just get another on the trip to Alaska. We returned to Arizona with the same crack and no more.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

We were lucky and only had 2 MH windshield chips that were repaired in Whitehorse. There were a significant number of additional rock strikes detected by sound and dings.

I had Safelite install a new windshield in my CRV, nothing to do with the AK trip. Long after the fact I discovered they used cheap Chinese glass and likely used a cheap rubber gasket. There is also evidence that they broke the plastic mounts for the bolts that hold the trim that extends from the windshield to the roof. NEVER again will I use Safelite.

I hand washed my Suburban, moments before arriving at a Safelite shop to get the windshield replaced. Hours later, way longer than any normal job takes, and after telling me that there were no issues at all, they give me the keys and decide to not tell me that they smashed the rear corner of the truck, into the stuccoed block garage door opening of their shop. They then lied about it. It was a real ugly battle to get them to step up and pay for the damage. Never again, not even if they did the work for free.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The roads are mostly great, the scenery spectacular and you'll want to go back. Again and again."

I think this about sums it up. Point your rig North and go. Although one will find the towns (and therefore services) a bit further apart, the road North (Alcan to me, but that's only what I grew up with 45+ years ago) is nowhere near as bad as it once was.

I've driven the trip L48 to Los Anchorage 20+ times since 1976 and (other than one trip from heck) haven't had any worse problems than one would encounter driving that many miles on secondary roads anywhere in the western U.S. I think I've had 3 broken headlights and 2 flats in all those trips...again, other than the one trip from heck that was such an aberration it doesn't figure.

Go slow in "traffic" and on the frost heaves and you'll be fine...enjoy the scenery and the different ambience once you're in the North country.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Send the wife on a geezer boat (cruise) and load up the moho and meet her there! Problem solved.....
Seriously though, you have a new moho, take the trip, it is AWESOME.
Don’t worry about the roads. Frost heaves are annoying but they don’t cause issues if you slow down......for 600 Miles. Few rocks on the road here n there. No diffenret than the mountains in the L48.
It’s worth the drive!

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> SoCal to Denali in a class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS