Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When on inverter am I using the batteries?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> When on inverter am I using the batteries?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tinstar wrote:

When I'm parked, plugged into shore power and I'm plugged into the inverter outlet in the refrigerator compartment, is the electricity coming from the shoreline or from my batteries?

I guess I'm asking if I am draining my batteries with the refrigerator (or other appliance) by being plugged into an inverted outlet and replenishing them at the same time with the shore power or am I bypassing the batteries since I'm plugged into shore power?

Additionally, if it's coming from the batteries, should I switch to the shore power outlet to keep from running on them?

I hope my question makes sense.

Can't say for your coach and don't even know what you have, but with ours, there's a pass through feature with pretty much the whole house outlets. The exception being the block heater, which is shore only and one of the two outlets behind the fridge, which is shore only. Either way, shouldn't be a biggie and just like with our old coach and whereas I installed a separate inverter and ran some outlets. Consequently by doing this and if they were in use, when hooked up, the batteries would be replenished continually, by the converter/charger.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E__Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if the new solid state relays have contacts to burn?

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer to unplug so as to NOT switch under load. In some ways I wish my Magnum inverter did NOT have a transfer switch built in. I do take some comfort that the switch is rated for 60 amps and I'm in a 30 amp RV.

Yet, I've seen Cameco female outlets "burn" when used on a 15 amp shore power supply, even after being treated with deoxit. I won't even buy them any more. The male Cameco seem to work just fine.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/18 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

devildog1971 wrote:

If your inverter is off will your batteries still charge? I am new to the class A R V they are a lot different from the truck campers I have had until now. sorry to cut into the thread but maybe the op might need to know also.

You need to post the Brand and Model of Inverter and year/brand/model of RV. In simple terms, IF you have an Inverter/Charger, and you turn the Inverter OFF, only the Invert side is off, the charger remains ON. Since this is a motorhome forum, most motorhomes have an Inverter/Charger, not an Inverter ONLY. Doug

Not an inverter only, but a lot of converter only's. Then there's all the ones with additional and separate standalone inverters and have installed these myself.

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msturtz wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Msturtz.From just one of the various RV Transfer switch makers instructions. Doug

BEFORE TESTING:
Ensure air conditioning units and other high current users are switched off.
It is harmful for the transfer switch to switch over power sources while under load.
Shut down all power sources to the RV
Label power sources clearly that testing is in progress.
If accessible, remove the lid of the ATS to visually check function

Are you saying that you have documentation from the ATS manufacturer(s) that state that all power must be removed when switching power sources?

I think you just read it: "from one of the various RV Transfer switch makers"

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When did the TESTING section apply to normal use?

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

msturtz

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tinstar wrote:

msturtz wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Msturtz.From just one of the various RV Transfer switch makers instructions. Doug

BEFORE TESTING:
Ensure air conditioning units and other high current users are switched off.
It is harmful for the transfer switch to switch over power sources while under load.
Shut down all power sources to the RV
Label power sources clearly that testing is in progress.
If accessible, remove the lid of the ATS to visually check function

Are you saying that you have documentation from the ATS manufacturer(s) that state that all power must be removed when switching power sources?

I think you just read it: "from one of the various RV Transfer switch makers"

Testing is not equal to normal operation.

FMCA member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> When on inverter am I using the batteries?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS