Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colo Native wrote:

Has anyone used a small wheel chair rack that has a ramp?
https://www.ebay.com/i/171927231445?chn=ps

I don't think rack is substantial enough. If genset is heavy enough that a ramp is required to load genset onto platform,then rack should have 2 attachment points to frame of rig to properly carry the weight.

[image]

07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Colo Native

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

I don't think rack is substantial enough. If genset is heavy enough that a ramp is required to load genset onto platform,then rack should have 2 attachment points to frame of rig to properly carry the weight.

[image]

The generator I am looking to buy is 95# the ramp is for ease of getting it on there without having to pick it up. that cargo rack is rated for 400#

2018 Grand Design 315RLTS
2015 F250 XLT PSD CC SB 4x4
2016 Primetime Crusader 315RST(SOLD)
08 Fleetwood Fiesta 34B(SOLD)
Retired DFD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colo Native wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

[image]

The generator I am looking to buy is 95# the ramp is for ease of getting it on there without having to pick it up. that cargo rack is rated for 400#

I totally understand what your trying to do. BTDT. Despite its rating I don't think that ramp rack and its single attachment point will withstand the bouncing and forces that occur on the rear of a RV trailer.
If you look at some bike racks they will have a disclaimer denying warranty if used on the rear of an RV.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

[image]

I totally understand what your trying to do. BTDT. Despite its rating I don't think that ramp rack and its single attachment point will withstand the bouncing and forces that occur on the rear of a RV trailer.
If you look at some bike racks they will have a disclaimer denying warranty if used on the rear of an RV.

I think I would rig up two more braces/struts to stabilize it. I have seen these carriers doing a bit of a dance before.
bumpy

Colo Native

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/18 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Colo Native wrote:

[image]

I think I would rig up two more braces/struts to stabilize it. I have seen these carriers doing a bit of a dance before.
bumpy

This is another thing that might help the bounce:
https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tightener-Anti-Rattle-Stabilizer-Hitches/dp/B0001CMUV4/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MN139404F3PPZ5SSYXJM

Acdii

Capron

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/18 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well lots of bickering over CO but no one addressed the 100# gorilla. That would be the weight issue hanging off the back of the trailer.

First, you would need substantial frame work done to prevent failure. You don't want to be "that guy" who leaves his bumper and goodies on the side of the road and not know it until he stopped and walked around the back.

Consider how much weight will be added to beef up the frame attachments and bumper, plus the weight of the generator and whatever is used to secure it to the bumper. That is weight that you MUST compensate for up front or you will have sway issues.

Why do I say this? I considered it myself, posted a thread on it and was pretty much told what I just said.

If its an RV and not a trailer, different story, but on any trailer, those bumpers are not held on with much more than glue and bandaids. Once I got under mine and looked, the fabrication needed and what would have to be removed to get to the frame since it has an insulated belly, made it cost prohibitive. It would have also added 250 pounds to the tail.

There are plates you can bolt to the frame that hook under the square bumper that I was thinking to use, but I would then need to grind off the jack stands and cut the frame to make them work, and since the frame is thin steel, I wouldn't feel comfortable cutting it, so welding would be required.

In my case, I have the same Champion Genny, but without remote start, and plan to mount it above the LP tanks instead. I have been carrying it in the bed of the truck, and since it's only 85 pounds, it is really easy to move around.

bfast54

Traverse City ,Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/18 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

See it all the time in Walmart campgrounds. Not pretty.

No such animal. Wal-Mart doesn't own/run ANY CAMPGROUNDS

2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller">
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion
Rally's attended so far-21
My Blog
Good Sam Member

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/18 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bfast54 wrote:

TomG2 wrote:

See it all the time in Walmart campgrounds. Not pretty.

No such animal. Wal-Mart doesn't own/run ANY CAMPGROUNDS

Some people get sarcasm. Some don't.

doughboy

ohio 43031 usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look at this.
it's not cheap, but neither is a generator
i installed the mount on the rear bumper.
check them out on facebook

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Orbital-Machine-Works-SMS-H2000/p12822.html?utm_source=order_update&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=product

Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruser, funfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS