cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery charging

jonlin
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying in a campground that has no hookups, therefore we are having to run on our batteries. We have an 09 40' Phaeton with a commercial frig with 6 house batteries. No problem with charging the batteries with the house generator; however, when I try and charge the batteries with a 2000 Honda the batteries will not charge. I have tried running the Honda through a ground fault and it gives me a caution when flashing indication. The ground fault was working properly last week when we had the coach plugged into a 110 outlet. I also removed the ground fault and hooked the coach straight to the Honda and the system status in the coach would still show inverting. Questions: 1) Is a Honda 2000 big enough to charge the batteries on a coach this size? 2) blown fuse somewhere? I have checked the reset on the Honda. Thank You! John
13 REPLIES 13

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“No problem with charging the batteries with the house generator;”

No problem for you? Since I’m not deaf, your generator creates one for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
are you trying run the inverter to keep the "commercial" refrigerator running?... if so, depending on the converter you have, there may not be enough power left to let the converter charge the batteries.

the honda2000 only delivers about 15amps @ 120vac... a commercial fridge can use 15amps AC or more, and running it thru an inverter, it will consume a substantial amount more... if its not being ran thru the inverter, it STILL could be taking all the power being produced by the generator.

unplug the fridge and see if you get the right charge output from the charger to the batteries, without it in the circuits...
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ground fault? The Honda does not tie neutral and ground.
You must have a protection system that verifies ground and the Honda does not.
Need a grounding plug or bypass the protection.

If it was a power issue the Honda would overload and stop producing power.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jonlin,

What is in the RV? An inverter/charger, or a stand alone inverter with a stand alone converter?

Have you successfully charged the bank before this trip using the Honda? I.E. is this a "new to you" problem?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How much can your inverter/charger put out when charging?
100 amps is abut 1500 Watts, given the losses you are pushing the max for the Honda. Many inverters you can "throttle" them either by adjusting battery size down or by setting another pramater or two.

Ground faults

The Honda has an OPEN GROUND.. Many have made a special "Bonding plug" basically it connects the WHITE (Silver screw) and Ground (Green screw) together.

I have not done this so can not comment.. When I have to do it I do it differntly, but .. Well. I've not had to do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Sheesh, doesn't anyone read my posts??

There is all the information you need on the bond/ground issue.

A simple plug should make the Honda behave itself with the RV system.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
jonlin wrote:
I have tried running the Honda through a ground fault and it gives me a caution when flashing indication.
I don't understand this part.

I think Jonlin means that there's an indication of an open ground (which is not really unexpected as the generator has no neutral-ground bonding). It's possible that the inverter is detecting the same thing and refusing to accept/pass through the "bad" power, I suppose.

If that's all that is going on, a bonding plug ought to solve the dilemma quickly and easily. A little searching here will give lots of info on these; it's nothing more than a three prong plug with the neutral prong jumpered to the ground with a wire in the plug body (preferably a reasonably heavy one, such as a short bit of 12 gauge wire). It gets plugged into the other socket on the generator.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jonlin wrote:
I have tried running the Honda through a ground fault and it gives me a caution when flashing indication.
I don't understand this part.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would agree the honda can do the job but only if the charger is not trying to put 10-15 amps ac charge in. Not the same Charger but my inverter/ charger can be set to only use 2-3- 5 etc amps ac thats devoted to charging. Is it a ground fault or is the Generator going into "overload" and cutting itself off? The motor runs normally but wont generate. Thats what happens to mine is if you overload it. you really don't know its happened other than the inverter is still inverting, and the Gen overload light flashing, is that the light?. If your batteries are low then the charger will throw everything it can at the Charge which may be the entire 15 amps the generator can produce, leaving nothing for the refrigerator etc.
If it is a true Ground fault I haven't seen that. My small generator 2000w works fine.
Bill

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Charger may be too big for the Honda or there's something else on.
Make sure nothing else is running (fridge, water heater, etc) and then try it again.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Simple solution. 50 foot extension cord and a decent brand battery charger.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your inverter/charger's size (how many amps of charging available), you may have to go in and reduce the amps of 120 VAC it can use. Often called "power share/power save". This can be done in a few seconds from your inverter/charger remote.

Obviously, verify that all other 120 VAC loads are OFF. If residential refrigerator tries to start and inverter/charger is in high-amp bulk mode, you may be exceeding the Honda's capability. If this happens, might turn off the refrigerator breaker until charge amp rate tappers off a little.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
It is big enough but something in your coach does not play well with the Honda.

I have seen this issue but did not get to pursue the resolution. Something with the ground etc.
Not much help but the 2000 is plenty to charge things. You need to turn AC's off of course and put the HWH on propane to keep the load down.

Check this out
neutral/ground issue
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008