Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: 2019 Sprinter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 2019 Sprinter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
hpdrver

Mansfield, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new generation Sprinter has been released in Europe. News reports a 12100 GVWR and shipment to US later this year. Looks like it will be a great improvement for class C motor homes.

* This post was edited 02/08/18 07:41am by hpdrver *

Texas Two Step
2017 Winnebago Via 25P
2005 Jeep Wrangler

JT

out west

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"News reports a 121000 GVWR..."
----
[emoticon] I think there is an extra zero in this figure, *if* the first four numbers are accurate at all.

hpdrver

Mansfield, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks
Correction made

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a older one 2007 and have no complaints, it ain,t big, but serves us just right. and I love the mpg.for trips that are a few days or weeks it great for two people.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I depends upon how "small" a coach is that's built on that upcomng 12,100 lb. GVWR Sprinter chassis.

Our smalll Class C (24 feet) motorhome weighs around 11,800 lbs. when almost fully loaded for most trips. I would not feel comfortable having a 12,100 lb. GVWR chassis carrying around a 11,800+ lb. coach mile after mile, year after year. I like more GVWR headroom than than that - for a variety of reasons.

The Sprinter chassis may be "kindof OK" as a base for some small Class B+/C motorhomes but - IMHO - not optimum.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/18 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

I depends upon how "small" a coach is that's built on that upcomng 12,100 lb. GVWR Sprinter chassis.

Our smalll Class C (24 feet) motorhome weighs around 11,800 lbs. when almost fully loaded for most trips. I would not feel comfortable having a 12,100 lb. GVWR chassis carrying around a 11,800+ lb. coach mile after mile, year after year. I like more GVWR headroom than than that - for a variety of reasons.

The Sprinter chassis may be "kindof OK" as a base for some small Class B+/C motorhomes but - IMHO - not optimum.

I doubt the Sprinter is that radically changed from the current one in terms of capacuties.
Will be more " connected " than any other
Clas C chassis. Will offer revised versions of the current diesels as well as a tiny 2 litre Gas engine. In Europe they wil have the E Sorinter for local deliveries in the Cities

Cider

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Intersting, but I already carry more than I need (while staying under weight) in my 2017 Sprinter. Guess I could make it a full tank of water rather than a 1/3 when traveling..Not a big deal for us, but am sure some will appreciate the option for more.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/18 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever we leave home with our RV, we consider it as a bit of an expedition for which we should be fully provisioned. As such, we try to leave home with all tanks full that should be full and all tanks empty that should be empty - plus plenty of food on board for several days - plus all manner of clothing, tools, and equipment to deal with a variety of expected and unexpected situations.

This requires a Class C based on a solid truck chassis engineered for plenty of extra weight carrying capacity over and above the coach itself. We shopped for about a year until we found just the right small Class C on an overkill 4-series chassis, instead of the usual 3-series chassis. So far even 12 years after we bought ours, this would be difficult to achieve unless a Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis is under a new small Class C. As far as I can tell, the new Sprinter chassis and various other modern small cutaway van chassis types commonly available today in the U.S. still would not provide the weight rating overhead we would feel comfortable with for optimum safety, reliability, and drivability under all conditions.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/18 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Whenever we leave home with our RV, we consider it as a bit of an expedition for which we should be fully provisioned. As such, we try to leave home with all tanks full that should be full and all tanks empty that should be empty - plus plenty of food on board for several days - plus all manner of clothing, tools, and equipment to deal with a variety of expected and unexpected situations.

This requires a Class C based on a solid truck chassis engineered for plenty of extra weight carrying capacity over and above the coach itself. We shopped for about a year until we found just the right small Class C on an overkill 4-series chassis, instead of the usual 3-series chassis. So far even 12 years after we bought ours, this would be difficult to achieve unless a Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis is under a new small Class C. As far as I can tell, the new Sprinter chassis and various other modern small cutaway van chassis types commonly available today in the U.S. still would not provide the weight rating overhead we would feel comfortable with for optimum safety, reliability, and drivability under all conditions.

For a small 23ft Class C should be bettter all round.
Had unfortunate experiences in the US with a E450
Will be interesting to see what they have done to the chassis if they are offering a 6,600lb payload and 7,700lb towing.

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JT wrote:

"News reports a 121000 GVWR..."
----
[emoticon] I think there is an extra zero in this figure, *if* the first four numbers are accurate at all.

Or else the base for the ultimate Class C rig (this chassis was used to make a dump truck instead):
[image]
Imagine a Class C with the room for your own hot tub!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 2019 Sprinter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS