Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Thinking out Loud
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thinking out Loud

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started with tents, pop ups, tag behinds, fifth wheels and now a Class A. In the past few months we are seriously considering going back to a high end fifth wheel. I kept my truck so that is not an issue. I don't know why I am struggling so much other than I really like the Monaco but I also really like the OR with rear kitchen fiver. There is so much more room in the fiver. I know the pros and cons but ultimately it is what we "think" makes up happy huh? Being able to go to the bathroom while under way is not an issue because my DW will not drive the MH so I have to stop anyway.
Just thinking out loud.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gave my 5er to my kids and still have a F350 BUT no way am I going back even though we snowbird for three months in one place.

How do you use your MH?

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me it depends how you travel. We very seldom spent more than two days at a location so for us the Class A was best. If you plan on spending more time at a location, the 5th wheel is probably more cost effective.
My Son has a 5th and it has a fantastic floor plan and is everything that they need, but it does take longer to set up, especially when it is raining.

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've actually considered doing that more than once, but I keep going back to the ease of setup on arrival. There are pros and cons to both, I guess, but I really love my Class A.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life is funny. I have observed older folks often have huge rigs for just the two of them. I still take numerous kiddo's camping in my little hybrid and dream of a fiver. LOL If I had the cash I would be there with you. Guess it is because I refuse to finance an RV

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure, in many ways, you'll miss the "A", and there are pluses to the 5er that will make up some of the difference. Nothing wrong with switching up or down, sideways, or even inside-out with one's choice of RV. Needs, wants, lifestyles, all cause changes in our outlook and the way we've always done things.

Happy Camping with the new rig! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

FYI ... folks seem to really like the rear kitchen trailers and 5er's, I think mostly because of the extra kitchen room and perhaps, more kitchen counter space. Here again, there are trade-off's for everything. But, have you looked at any of the rear living room models with the gigantic window on the back and dual - opposing slides? I'm not talking about slides or a back wall with built in entertainment centers or refrigerators in the slides covering one entire slide, or the entire rear. I'm talking about the ones with windows all around. Of course this often means a kitchen in the middle, but if you haven't looked at one, take a moment before making your final choice and at least step inside. Having (almost) a 360 degree view outside windows in the living room area is absolutely wonderful! (Just a suggestion)

Any way you go, you don't need anyone's approval except the wife for such a switch. Just remember, she's the ONLY one you have keep happy!

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no perfect RV. Let that sink in for a minute.
Most people that travel a lot or full time end up with Class A or 5th wheel rigs. They do not suit everyone.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been so many upgrades in fifth wheels that the setup is pretty much push button. Back in, check left to right level since it can't be more than an inch or two off, put in chocks, raise the front end to get it loose from the truck, hit a button and it levels it for you. Hit another button and the slides go out and you are set. Do just the opposite to hook up to the truck. Yes, you might get wet if it's raining, but that's what they make rain coats for.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely I'll catch some flak for this, but IMO a quality Class A has much more insulation that any 5r I've been in. This means outside noise is kept to a minimum. This was just an issue I noticed when we were shopping for coaches, YMMV...Dennis

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes they are all good points and each one is correct in its own way. The fiver we are negotiating with the dealer at this time does have 3 inch walls with more insulation than I have seen. The under belly is enclosed and heated and the roof is pvc not rubber. It has an inverter for the residual frig and the leveling system is all automatic with jt strong arms stabilizers.

I am still sorting it over in my mind but I am starting to lean toward the fiver. We generally stay in one spot for weeks at the time. Once my DW retires permanently we are going cross country again but this time take as many months as we like. We will never full time as we love our s&b.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Thinking out Loud
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS