Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Maneuverability of toy hauler vs class A DP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Maneuverability of toy hauler vs class A DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Lexx

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still struggling with the choice. The smallest Class A we like would be either a 41 ft Fleetwood Discovery 40g or a 43 ft long tag axle Newmar.

The toy haulers we're considering are either a 36 ft Grand Design Momentum 328m or a 39 ft GD Momentum 351M, the main difference being an extra loft bedroom and half bath on the 351m.

We'd be pulling a Jeep Wrangler 4 door withe the clay A, and my F450 would pull the toy hauler.

Which is easier to maneuver into state and national park sites if we can get into any of those? What about backing up into a site?

Out travels would be mostly in the summer when the kids are off school. The only time we'd use it in the winter would be any other school holidays like possibly Thanksgiving, Xmas weeks, and spring break.

2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

WAFlowers

Clearwater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just moved from a 37' 5th wheel to a 40' Class A DP. I find the DP just as easy to back up as the trailer was or maybe even a bit easier given the rear view camera. The trailer rig would "bend in the middle" but the DP has a 55-degree wheel cut which more than compensates. It is remarkable how tight the turning radius is on this coach!

I don't yet have experience with parks but one campground I had to back and turn almost 120-degrees (they guided me in the wrong way to an angled site). It was no problem!

Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no experience with an A. But several years ago a long A pulled up and chose a site next to us. It had a tree on each side near the front of the site. And the access road was fairly narrow. I thought no way was he going to get that MH in that tight space. As noted above, the turning radius was so good, he backed it right in the first try. I was impressed. I am not sure I could have backed my 35' 5er in there, at least not that easily.

anakindogwalker

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One decision point is which vehicle do you want to drive once you are at your campsite, the Wrangler or the truck? If it is the Wrangler, then there is no other choice; get the class A.

With the class A Wrangler combination, you would have to disconnect the Wrangler before backing into your campsite.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 40'Discovery will not have a tag like the 42' Newmar. If you get a tag axle coach make sure you can raise the tag from the cockpit. Much easier to turn and back up...Whether one is easier depends a lot on your ability and skills at backing up. Both or either can be challenging at times....
.Dennis

EDUCATION IS IMPORTANT, BUT CAMPING IS IMPORTANTER!
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never driven an "A", but just watching folks pull in and pull out with different kinds of campers, I think the "A" folks have it! And I'm often impressed how quick they can disconnect their toads too (usually in the middle of the road).

DutchmenSport

2019 Montana High Country 375FL Fifth Wheel
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually

2 Dachshunds, 1 cat, 2 even older folks now, but still lots of love!

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I only have 5th wheel experience at this point, I am looking forward to my Class A because:

1. With a class A you can usually always find a spot somewhere where you can pull over and disconnect the toad without impeding traffic. This does not have to be right at the site. With my fifth wheel, many times my trailer would be backed into the site where it belonged but the truck would be stuck out in the road impeding traffic. The folks did get some entertainment as they waited, however, as I battled with the fifth wheel hitch binding. For me at least, unhooking was an important and potentially dangerous process that I preferred not to be rushed through.

2. With a class A, I anticipate placing it in a site will be much easier as I am just dealing with 1 drive and 1 steer axle that I can jack back and forth a few feet at a time if necessary. With the fifth wheel, if you are skilled you can make the trailer do what you want but the front of your truck has to be monitored to avoid hitting things.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/18 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having had both a A is much easier as it goes where you want it to go and I'm good at backing trailers. I unhook the toad while the DW is signing us in...always finishing first. We always go for the less expensive back in sites and unless it's tight I usually back in without the DW's help. Our favorite CG's are US FS campgrounds that do not take reservations. I will unhook and we take the car and scout things out to decide which sites we can get into. I try to make sure we will be able to get sat TV using a sat finder app as usually we are too far to get OTA signals.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 40' 5er and F350 dually to our 43.5' Class A. The Class A is much easier to maneuver, because the steering axle is so close to the end of the unit at the front, and it's easy to see out the front as you go into your arc. I don't even have independent front suspension which tightens the turning radius even further. Add to that 3 cameras that help you back in - no contest.

As stated above, the 4-down toad on the back of the Class A ends the benefit of backing up. It takes a little planning to make sure you don't get caught in a spot you have to back up.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/18 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've taken DP's into some places a 5th wheel wouldn't go.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Maneuverability of toy hauler vs class A DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS